• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
My guess as well.

I also guess that Destiny will win both Most Disappointing AND appear in the Top 10 games of the year. I fully expect it to be Brad's GOTY, and expect it to be on Jeff's list as well.

Seriously, the amount of Destiny Jeff has played is just really freaking weird, given how much he's not into it.

To be fair, the gameplay itself is incredibly fun according to both of them, it's just the amount and type of content.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I put a ton of hours into destiny and i dont even know that i ever enjoyed playing it. So i get where Jeff is coming from with how he handles Destiny.

After listening to the beginning of the 404 showed that Vinny really loved Bayonetta 2 and it seemed to be his clear GOTY. Between him, Jason, Alex, Patrick, and to a lesser extent Dan, I'm starting to think it actually has a decent chance of winning.

Bayonetta 2 is my game of the year but it being GB's game of the year would be a real fucking surprise. But then again I had a discussion with a friend of mine just last weekend and he was wondering why anyone would think the first one was better so I guess they did something right with the sequel.

Curufinwe

https://twitter.com/VinnyCaravella/status/545971878033362945

GBeast x 404 show

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-404-show-x-giant-bomb-mashup-2014-year-in-gaming-wrap-up/

- The 404
- Jeff Bakalar
- Alex Navarro
- Vinny Caravella
- Russ Frushtick

- ITunes
- RSS Feed MP3

RcmA8.png

Figures that it was the former Polygon employee who would claim that Uncharted, and all Sony exclusives, don't sell well. That place is just a hotbed of alarmingly ignorant people.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/24/uncharted-series-hits-17-million-sales-uc3-goty-edition-confirmed/

God of War is over 20 million.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/17/god-war-series-worldwide-sales-show-god-war-iii-at-the-top/

And of course, Gran Turismo.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Lest we forget the shadow broker fiasco.

brad is the fillibuster king. There's the shadow broker thing, which if i remember correctly neither party had played the DLC that the other party was fighting for so it was a back and forth between 2 parties who couldn't properly tear down the other's choice.

It was baddddddddd.

And i'll never forget buggy-ass Skyrim winning over SR3, a game with heart goddamnit.

Figures that it was the former Polygon employee who would claim that Uncharted, and all Sony exclusives, don't sell well. That place is just a hotbed of alarmingly ignorant people.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/24/uncharted-series-hits-17-million-sales-uc3-goty-edition-confirmed/

to be fair, they never really charted (hah) well. What they had going for them was really good legs.

Wasn't until TLOU that Naughty Dog had a huge hit right out of the gate last gen.

brad is the fillibuster king. There's the shadow broker thing, which if i remember correctly neither party had played the DLC that the other party was fighting for so it was a back and forth between 2 parties who couldn't properly tear down the other's choice.

It was baddddddddd.

What was it up against, Minerva's den? I feel like I remember Brad playing the other one a year later and quietly admitting he may have been wrong. That was at least fun fillibustering though. Skyrim was such a cop-out. Everyone knows SR3 was the true GOTY for giantbomb that year.

And i'll never forget buggy-ass Skyrim winning over SR3, a game with heart goddamnit.

When he was like "SR3 cant win it was riddled with bugs" and jeff/ryan were like "so is skyrim" and brad was like "I didnt see a single gamebreaking bug my playthrough" and they were like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was yelling at my ipod

Brad kind of single-handedly got Mass Effect 3 off Most Dissapointing Game last year. Sim City "won" that category. Could see it happening again.

Watching Bombing the AM this morning, my brain finally clicked and realized that Alex looks and kind of acts exactly like a young Paul Giamatti. So now I can't unsee that.

What was it up against, Minerva's den? I feel like I remember Brad playing the other one a year later and quietly admitting he may have been wrong. That was at least fun fillibustering though. Skyrim was such a cop-out. Everyone knows SR3 was the true GOTY for giantbomb that year.

Nah, Skyrim is the Game of the Generation.

daydream

Banned
A Sobering Conversation about GB Thread Patterns

people are just excited about goty stuff

jeez myggen, stop being a curmudgeon
curmyggen

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/546050484055068672/photo/1

Patrick is constructing a studio space for GB Chicago!

hope it leads to some cool stuff. pretty sure I'm finally giving up on bombin (probably unless they've got a good guest or something in the future), the start of that show is always just brutal to listen to and the whole thing is kind of dull. the questions can be cool sometimes, but that mostly just makes me want alex to do his own version of the jar/coffee videos.

patrick's had a weird year, hope he bounces back in 2015.

Based on Jeff's comments on Halo 5 on Twitter, I think Jeff's desire for Halo to change is one of the few things I think he's completely off base about. I'm fine with Halo changing, but his comments on Halo 5 seem like he wants it to just become CoD. Halo 5 currently has it so if you're hit you're knocked out of ADS, which is how Halo has always functioned with scopes. He wants them to remove that, which would completely change the feel of the game. I get the Halo playstyle doesn't appeal to him, but he doesn't seem to recognize there's people that prefer a different style shooter and not every game should have to appeal to the same crowd. At least Drew has my back.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I get the Halo playstyle doesn't appeal to him, but he doesn't seem to recognize there's people that prefer a different style shooter and not every game should have to appeal to the same crowd. At least Drew has mah back.

Im pretty sure he knows that. He is just giving his opinion on the game, while explaining why he likes it and why halo fans might now. I dont see the issue.

I don't even think I enjoy Destiny, but I can't stop playing it

I spend most of my time playing it complaining about it or being passive aggressive toward it. However I do this as I spend hours at a time playing the bloody thing. It's a completely bizarre experience.

The moment to moment combat is a lot of fun, especially on the higher difficulties, there it gets super satisfying. The lack of content is always evident & frustrating but it's still so oddly enticing despite that.

Finally almost done with the P4 ER and for the first time in about 50 episodes I burst out laughing with Vinny's "I got touched....what?" after
Chie says "Well I know one's thing's for certain." in one of the last little team meet ups.

I am actually excited to hear brad talk about Destiny in the GOTY stuff. And having Jeff put a ton of time into it too definitely guarantees some serious arguing. The year would be boring without Brad trying to fillibuster it out of biggest disappointment and into top 10. I'm sure people will take issue with it no matter how it shakes out. We haven't had good drama in the GOTY stuff for a year or so anyways. Last year was boring.

I am actually excited to hear brad talk about Destiny in the GOTY stuff. And having Jeff put a ton of time into it too definitely guarantees some serious arguing. The year would be boring without Brad trying to fillibuster it out of biggest disappointment and into top 10. I'm sure people will take issue with it no matter how it shakes out. We haven't had good drama in the GOTY stuff for a year or so anyways. Last year was boring.

I think it will come down to Brad appealing to Jeff on a mechanical level. Destiny's strongest part is how good the shooting and combat itself is. Jeff respects that part of the game and that's what I expect to carry it into the top 10. It's mechanics alone make it one of the better shooters this year imo, even if the rest of the package is weak(er). There's also the fact that it's a highly polished game. It won't be top 5 most likely, but I can see it easily taking a spot in 8-10.

I'm not sure where you get that he doesn't see that some people prefer other shooters. Not sure how much clearer he could be that it's just not for him.

I'm a pretty big Halo fanyboy so I might be seeing slights where none exist. The way he talks about Halo just comes across like he wishes it were CoD, and would prefer if it become a generic shooter rather than retain it's identity. The way I see it is the difference between not liking a game but respecting what it is and it's uniqueness, and not liking a game and as a result asking for it to be turned into another game, at the cost of it's identity. Like asking for no knockout in ADS, that's clearly asking for a game mechanic to act more like CoD and thus removing a mechanic that makes Halo unique. That's not respecting the game for what it is imo. Again, though, I get defensive about Halo due to my love for it.

Tamanon

Banned
Based on Jeff's comments on Halo 5 on Twitter, I think Jeff's desire for Halo to change is one of the few things I think he's completely off base about. I'm fine with Halo changing, but his comments on Halo 5 seem like he wants it to just become CoD. Halo 5 currently has it so if you're hit you're knocked out of ADS, which is how Halo has always functioned with scopes. He wants them to remove that, which would completely change the feel of the game. I get the Halo playstyle doesn't appeal to him, but he doesn't seem to recognize there's people that prefer a different style shooter and not every game should have to appeal to the same crowd. At least Drew has my back.

I'm not sure where you get that he doesn't see that some people prefer other shooters. Not sure how much clearer he could be that it's just not for him.

Sweet lord. Is MGS the most complicated and insane video game plot ever? I don't think i've ever seen a flowchart for a game's story before, besides a timeline for the Zelda games.

Ketch

Lest we forget the shadow broker fiasco.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring too, but I'll guess he somehow got ME2 up higher on the list based on the fact that people who didn't agree "Didn't even play shadow broker dlc".

He used the same tactic last year with brothers and puppeteer(?). It's a tactic that works, but I think if that's how you wanna roll then you need to play every game in the debate to conclusion.... which is something he might do already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom