• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

Explaining the ending of MGS2 to Drew should be fairly straightforward.

I think it's actually pretty straightforward:
Stuff about information control, what it means to be human, passing on your genes, etc. The real themes and messages at the end aren't that crazy or complicated. But it's wrapped up in crazy circumstances and you get blasted with everything at once.

It's going to be fun to watch!

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring too, but I'll guess he somehow got ME2 up higher on the list based on the fact that people who didn't agree "Didn't even play shadow broker dlc".

He used the same tactic last year with brothers and puppeteer(?). It's a tactic that works, but I think if that's how you wanna roll then you need to play every game in the debate to conclusion.... which is something he might do already.

No it was the argument over DLC of the year I think. Brad fillibustering at its finest. Made for the best debate that year.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
Since people are leaving for the holidays early next week, it sounds like we're gonna come in over the weekend and crank out the rest of the game. No promises since it's not in the can yet, but we really want to do it.

jgminto

Sweet lord. Is MGS the most complicated and insane video game plot ever? I don't think i've ever seen a flowchart for a game's story before, besides a timeline for the Zelda games.

No, it's just presented in a faux complicated manner. Once you know what the actual overall picture is it's pretty understandable. Stupid but understandable.

Ketch

No it was the argument over DLC of the year I think. Brad fillibustering at its finest. Made for the best debate that year.

i admire his ability to do what needs to be done.... even if I don't always agree with his methods. Brad is truly the Jack Bower of GOTY discussions.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Since people are leaving for the holidays early next week, it sounds like we're gonna come in over the weekend and crank out the rest of the game. No promises since it's not in the can yet, but we really want to do it.

You are a saint.

Is there still another episode from the storm sessions or are things caught up now?

Tan

Man if you think Jeff is jaded, listen to this CNN podcast. Host just moving the conversation towards disappointments in games and talking about how Titanfall should have been free.

Zaph

You are a true American hero.

am4PKgp.png

Explaining the ending of MGS2 to Drew should be fairly straightforward.

I dont have a phd in video games

Okay so when you guys wanna do this (House of Leaves giant bomb thread book club not sponsored by giant bomb)? After the holidays to give some people some time to get the book if they don't have it yet? At least one person messaged me saying they were going out to buy it, or planned on doing it at least.

Are people fast readers/have a lot of time? How fast you wanna go? A month to finish it? Large sections of the book are largely literally gibberish so it's not as intimidating as it seems.

Would we want a separate thread? I know I'm not that happy when a thread gets polluted with something I'm not terribly interested in. Plus it could have the added benefit of getting more people in, or maybe others don't want that I dunno.

Up to you guys I'm just along for the ride.

Based on Jeff's comments on Halo 5 on Twitter, I think Jeff's desire for Halo to change is one of the few things I think he's completely off base about. I'm fine with Halo changing, but his comments on Halo 5 seem like he wants it to just become CoD. Halo 5 currently has it so if you're hit you're knocked out of ADS, which is how Halo has always functioned with scopes. He wants them to remove that, which would completely change the feel of the game. I get the Halo playstyle doesn't appeal to him, but he doesn't seem to recognize there's people that prefer a different style shooter and not every game should have to appeal to the same crowd. At least Drew has my back.
Completely agreed. I had to resist adding onto the pile to him as I don't want to be one of 'those' people. I'm not even a massive Halo fan, but there are far more COD-likes and alternatives than there are with Halo. I'm sure deep down Jeff gets that Halo should evolve in a way that will be mostly welcomed by Halo fans.

Finally almost done with the P4 ER and for the first time in about 50 episodes I burst out laughing with Vinny's "I got touched....what?" after
Chie says "Well I know one's thing's for certain." in one of the last little team meet ups.
Just finished my 4th watch through of it a few days ago. Still great and it'll never be topped which is why slightly different takes on it like MG Scanlon is the better way to go.

Okay so when you guys wanna do this (House of Leaves giant bomb thread book club not sponsored by giant bomb)? After the holidays to give some people some time to get the book if they don't have it yet? At least one person messaged me saying they were going out to buy it, or planned on doing it at least.

Are people fast readers/have a lot of time? How fast you wanna go? A month to finish it? Large sections of the book are largely literally gibberish so it's not as intimidating as it seems.

Would we want a separate thread? I know I'm not that happy when a thread gets polluted with something I'm not terribly interested in. Plus it could have the added benefit of getting more people in, or maybe others don't want that I dunno.

After the Holidays sounds great. Gives me time to finish what I'm reading through right now.

I think a set time period to read or maybe chunks to read at a time would be great in a new thread. You'd probably get some more people interested that way. Maybe talk to whoever does the GAF book club thread maybe? Not sure if those are even done anymore or not. I think it was Cyan that ran those.

Will you have a Jason this time?

Even with three possible backups running, having no one in the control room would scare the hell out of me when recording such content.

Xater

Wow that is cool. I salute you for that.

The idea of Drew playing MGS4 already has me all giddy. That will still take some time though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

Thanks for promising this to us dan.

daydream

Banned

Awesome!

After Christmas would be fine, I think. Anybody planning to read along can get a copy until then. I'm a fast reader, generally speaking, but I can adapt to a schedule, no problem. Separate thread seems like a good idea if only to obviate the inevitable complaints.

jgminto

I hope Dan and Drew keep going with the couple episodes at a time schedule once they move onto 3, the recent episodes are even better because of it.

Tamanon

Banned
Thanks to Dan and Drew, I ordered my first Metal Gear game, Ground Zeroes.

Will catch up on lore through their series, but I just don't want to struggle with antiquated control systems.

I hope Dan and Drew keep going with the couple episodes at a time schedule once they move onto 3, the recent episodes are even better because of it.

This is true but I don't think it will be nearly as much of a problem with 3 as 2. 3 has some swerves, but nothing to the scope of the shitstorm at the end of 2.

Hey Dan, play more pinball. It's the game of kings!

the assassin's creed talk in the 404 podcast is great

vinny going on so many off-topic tangents and basically single-handedly turning it into a two hour podcast is amazing.

for Drew's sake, I hope Dan has some plan for the end of MGS2 beyond the typical pretty short debriefing they've been doing. they'll need to do like a five hour long podcast, or at least bring a whiteboard into the room or something.

Separate thread sometime around New Years seems like a good way to go. We should probably have a few reading milestones throughout the month so people can speculate and theorize.

Jokab

The hero we deserve.

This UPF actually started on time, which lead to me missing the first few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom