• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gut tells me we'll see one of the greatest Brad filibusters ever, but whether he'll succeed or not...

See, I'm not so sure he'll be able to this time around. This isn't DLC of the Year, where only Vinny really cared. This isn't GOTY 2011 where Patrick and Ryan were on his team with Skyrim > Saint's Row 3 outnumbering Jeff/Vinny either.

It'll be one slice of bread against six other people who all want their pet games on the top 10 list, but the rest of the pet games don't have people who have loads of baggage with them. At a certain point you just vote past that shit.

It's gonna be wild, I can't wait.

It's going to be like the end of Red Dead Redemption, but with opinions about video games.

"Killer Mike and El-P fuck boys"

hot verse tho

Myggen

"Killer Mike and El-P fuck boys"

hot verse tho

tumblr_muqgwqepMx1qbls2ko1_400.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kmI2UdHdlQ

Myggen

Man, once the second verse gets going that song is maybe the hardest song El-P's done. It's like a gangbang on your eardrums. And it comes right after the other hard-as-fuck song on the album.

Fuck it, I'm going to listen to Fantastic Damage.

Yeah, the production on that song (and the album in general) is fucking insane. As is the rapping. I think it says something about El-P that the bonus track on Run the Jewels is better than most songs released that year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV6i8QFf4ng

You looking at the guy who the guy that you think that I got my style from got his own style from ('sup?)

And the obit goes like this: "Here lies a punk bitch, real fuck boy type
Who never want shit, 'bout as soft as his momma's own tit"
And sensitive as his old lady's clit, real bust-out bitch
She fuck my clique, obscene, absurd with the words
I cleaned up curbs with the blood and the bones of you nerds
I kill with the mic and murder with words
I'm known on the corners where murders occur, I cruise in the verse where murderers lurk
When god in the building, who they gonna hurt

What's your opinion on Run the Jewels 2? It's my album of the year, hands down.

Not posting Blockbuster Part 1 or Oh My Darling Don't Cry. Tut Tut.

That whole album is amazing.

Toparaman

Banned
What's your opinion on Run the Jewels 2? It's my album of the year, hands down.

That whole album is amazing.

Love the album. The music videos have sucked so far though. They need to stop trying to make that hand symbol a thing, and El-P needs to stop trying to be cool.

erawsd

I hope Destiny makes it into the top 10 just for the reactions in this thread alone.

lol.. same here.

I don't think its that far fetched when you look at the competition and the types of games the crew plays collectively. There's also not a bunch of "pet titles" like last year. I def think it has a better chance than stuff like Mario Kart, Divinity, or Donkey Kong

Myggen

Love the album. The music videos have sucked so far though. They need to stop trying to make that hand symbol a thing, and El-P needs to stop trying to be cool.

I'd argue that El-P is a pretty cool motherfucker, but yeah, the video of Blockbuster Night Part 1 is pretty mediocre (I like the Oh My Darling video).

Proof that Killer Mike and El-P are a couple of cool guys:

El-P-Killer-Mike.jpg

Bacon

Run the jewels 2 is an amazing album. El-p is the hottest producer in the game right now. His beats are on another level, and they mesh so well with killer mike' rapping.

daydream

Banned
Catching up with MGS, that was a pretty dense episode. Hell of a cliffhanger, as well.

So, I didn't see Emma's swift death or that twist coming at that moment necessarily but Snake "turning" on you was one idea I had entertained once or twice. As always, no need to answer this but the most pressing questions (regarding recent events, I mean) seem to be:

- What is up with the Emmerich family and the incestuous undertones between Hal and Emma?
- Did Otacon just mention Sniper Wolf because it was another person he loved and lost or is there more to it?
- Why did Snake even hint at having an inside man when Olga (whom he was probably referring to) shows up five minutes later? This can probably be accredited to wonky writing, although there's a chance he could be referring to someone else, I suppose.
- Yo, what is Vamp's deal? -> if this doesn't get addressed then wtf

I expect Snake to have partnered with Olga after he told her the true account of what transpired on the tanker (Ocelot betraying her father). I concur with Drew as far as Snake's alignment and motivations are for leaving Raiden behind (not trusting the Colonel; made obvious by the fact that Raiden was barely briefed on the mission).

tchocky

So, I didn't see Emma's swift death or that twist coming at that moment necessarily but Snake "turning" on you was one idea I had entertained once or twice. As always, no need to answer this but the most pressing questions (regarding recent events, I mean) seem to be:
- What is up with the Emmerich family and the incestuous undertones between Hal and Emma?
- Did Otacon just mention Sniper Wolf because it was another person he loved and lost or is there more to it?

Answering the first two

Otacon and Emma are not related their parents married I believe.
Just another person he loved.

Zebetite

Banned
As always, no need to answer this but the most pressing questions (regarding recent events, I mean) seem to be:

- Why did Snake even hint at having an inside man when Olga (whom he was probably referring to) shows up five minutes later? This can probably be accredited to wonky writing, although there's a chance he could be referring to someone else, I suppose.
- Yo, what is Vamp's deal? -> if this doesn't get addressed then wtf

"No need to answer" doesn't mean "Need to not answer" so I'll toss in my two cents on stuff that isn't particularly spoilery, you can disregard if you want!

1) The "dark history" they mention was brought up by Otacon when he gets introduced in MGS1. He states his grandfather was on the Manhattan Project and his father was born on the day of the Hiroshima bombing, and now he is the third generation of Emmerich to get involved in nuclear weapon shenanigans. As to the Emmerich siblings-- they are technically step-siblings and were both reclusive kids who only really had each other. They "played house," which could mean any number of things. It's still weird, but hey.

2) Yes, no.

3) He seems to have been deliberately showing his hand. I do not know why.

4) It's the sort of thing that was never supposed to get addressed, but it gets addressed later anyways.

tchocky

"No need to answer" doesn't mean "Need to not answer" so I'll toss in my two cents on stuff that isn't particularly spoilery, you can disregard if you want!

1) The "dark history" they mention was brought up by Otacon when he gets introduced in MGS1. He states his grandfather was on the Manhattan Project and his father was born on the day of the Hiroshima bombing, and now he is the third generation of Emmerich to get involved in nuclear weapon shenanigans. As to the Emmerich siblings-- they are technically step-siblings and were both reclusive kids who only really had each other. They "played house," which could mean any number of things. It's still weird, but hey.

2) Yes, no.

3) He seems to have been deliberately showing his hand. I do not know why.

4) It's the sort of thing that was never supposed to get addressed, but it gets addressed later anyways.

Regarding number 3, MGS2 spoilers ahead

It's been a long time since I played it but I believe Snake says he needs an inside man which is going to be Raiden so he has Olga hand him over to Solidus so he can let Snake in and then they take out Solidus. No idea when they planned it.

Jintor

Otacon's normally a great VA but the crying stuff is just so bad... just so, so bad

perfectly in line with metal gear though

Zebetite

Banned
Regarding number 3, MGS2 spoilers ahead

It's been a long time since I played it but I believe Snake says he needs an inside man which is going to be Raiden so he has Olga hand him over to Solidus so he can let Snake in and then they take out Solidus. No idea when they planned it.

Good catch, actually. That makes a lot more sense.

Also, catching up on UPF: Rorie dropping that subtle MGS2 spoiler and Dan getting all shifty-eyed. Oh man. I hope Drew was too focused on Venture.

Jintor

One thing Dan didn't tell Drew is that if you get captured/spotted enough in that computer room the first time you go through, the parrot will start to yell stuff like "THERE HE IS!" or other guard barks

fucking parrot

I say this as someone who would like to hang out with Brad IRL, so no personal offense is intended:

He is too dry to host the Bombcast. He brings the energy of the show down and consistently picks awkward or pointless emails that bring the show to a screeching halt. Jeff needs to tutor him in the ways of being an entertaining host, or Jeff needs to go back to hosting.

I say this as someone who would like to hang out with Brad IRL, so no personal offense is intended:

He is too dry to host the Bombcast. He brings the energy of the show down and consistently picks awkward or pointless emails that bring the show to a screeching halt. Jeff needs to tutor him in the ways of being an entertaining host, or Jeff needs to go back to hosting.

he's not vinny-level or anything, but he's still a better host than jeff was.

Jeff only needs to tutor him in the ways of picking good emails.

he's not vinny-level or anything, but he's still a better host than jeff was.

totally disagree. Jeff is fun, despite (or maybe because of) his cynicism toward most AAA games. Brad consistently picks pointless emails and is overly analytical about things that don't require analysis.

Maybe I just wish Jason/Dan/Drew would talk a lot more.

Yeah when the conversation becomes the Brad and Jeff show things kinda... drag on for a while

yes... despite my pro-Jeff stance, I agree with that.

and I truly don't mean to be dismissive toward Brad at all. I love the guy, I just think he might not be an ideal host.

daydream

Banned

Nah, Brad has always been an excellent host. Not many people can keep an eight-man podcast together like that, to name an example. The way he structured it was top notch.

The emails haven't been great but Brad has stated that there haven't been any better ones to choose from and who are we to argue with that.

Maybe I just wish Jason/Dan/Drew would talk a lot more.

I think we can all agree on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom