• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
here you go guys but add in north dakota, south dakota, and nebraska

B3gVRi8.png

for the record i maintain that missouri is not the midwest but whatever

Why would Patrick leave? What could he do independently he can't do now? They let Dan try to play Mario while riding a rollercoaster, I highly doubt GB is holding Patrick back in any way from doing what he wants.

I've played so few 2014 games but I think I would personally stick with Dark Souls 2. It was a disappointment in some areas but at the end of the day, it got enough right for me to feel satisified. I definitely had fun with Mordor but I think it lost a lot when you unlocked some of the really overpowered abilities. I still haven't started Dragon Age Inquisition, Alien Isolation or Farcry 4.

Isolation was probably my favorite game this year.

Mordor was good. I liked it a lot, but ultimately it was pretty forgettable afterward. I don't know why, maybe it's because the story is garbage and the gameplay was a bit too similar to Arkham. Not sure.

Isolation, Wolfenstein, and South Park stand out for me.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Really, what he needs is a proper CBSi presence in Chicago to back him up, or something. Maybe now he finally appears to be moving into Temkin's office, they can hire someone to help him out. Plenty of game writers in Chicago. Joe Fourhman, Gita Jackson, etc et.

But why? Nobody goes to Giant Bomb except for video content and reviews.

Myggen

Isolation was probably my favorite game this year.

Mordor was good. I liked it a lot, but ultimately it was pretty forgettable afterward. I don't know why, maybe it's because the story is garbage and the gameplay was a bit too similar to Arkham. Not sure.

Isolation, Wolfenstein, and South Park stand out for me.

I played Isolation, but didn't like it. Watching the Alien just walk around on two legs for ten minutes when I was hiding under a table was just silly to me. You saw waaaaaaaaaay too much of the alien in that game for it to be scary or engaging to me. Less is more in a game like that, and the alien just popped out everywhere to say hi.

The game looked really good though.

that was my point

he'd make those

edit: actually I'm not sure what you thought I meant by that post, because all I meant was "Patrick needs some proper infrastructure behind him to make cool video content like the others, like he did before he left"

If his articles were truly getting that few views I imagine Jeff and/or management would have tried to transition him to purely video content a while ago. We don't have any data to say one way or another how well the articles and written content does on the website.

Bacon

Why would Patrick leave? What could he do independently he can't do now? They let Dan try to play Mario while riding a rollercoaster, I highly doubt GB is holding Patrick back in any way from doing what he wants.

I'm not saying it is a likely scenario, but if he did choose to move on I could understand why. Sure he can do anything he wants with giantbomb, but his articles get buried under all the other content that gb puts out. He would be able to establish his own brand more easily should he choose to leave.

Myggen

If his articles were truly getting that few views I imagine Jeff and/or management would have tried to transition him to purely video content a while ago. We don't have any data to say one way or another how well the articles and written content does on the website.

If the "Popular on Giant Bomb" bar on the site when you're reading an article/watching a video is any indication, there's plenty of interest in news articles on the site. I have no idea how reliable that stuff is though.

tchocky

When Patrick has been asked this on tumblr he has said it is the written articles/reviews that get linked to on places like reddit and that brings in new people and then the videos are what keep people on the site.

High views or not, ultimately those articles are diversifying the site's content, and that's a good thing. Shit can't grow on LPs and dudes drinking beer alone.

unless he planned on trying to leave the games journalism thing completely, patrick would have to be completely crazy to leave. seems like he's allowed to do basically whatever he wants.

Myggen

High views or not, ultimately those articles are diversifying the site's content, and that's a good thing. Shit can't grow on LPs and dudes drinking beer alone.

Correct, and that's the reason Patrick was hired in the first place, if you go back to Jeff's article at the time. That they're hiring another news editor (unless you believe that editor is replacing Patrick, which I don't) shows that Jeff wants them to go even more in that direction, while still keeping the focus on video. I think it's smart.

FStop7

Banned
Guys this is a work. They want you to think its Mordor. Its really Far Cry 4

FC4 is leagues better than Mordor, I have no idea how Mordor has so much love. I mean, I've put like 20-ish hours into Mordor, but I stopped because it just got to be so samey... I've already surpassed that amount of time in FC4 and I just bought it on Friday and I can't wait to play some more.

I really feel like GB came down on FC3 for not taking place inside of the Animus, which was kind of a silly and wishful thing to start with... and that displeasure with FC3 seems to have carried over to 4.

Zaph

Dan's my kneejerk reaction - but after consideration I'd say maybe Jason for hitting the ground running, being comfortable after only very little on-screen time and holding it down like a pro during the 24hr stream after his support dropped out.

Myggen

FC4 is leagues better than Mordor, I have no idea how Mordor has so much love. I mean, I've put like 20-ish hours into Mordor, but I stopped because it just got to be so samey... I've already surpassed that amount of time in FC4 and I just bought it on Friday and I can't wait to play some more.

I really feel like GB came down on FC3 for not taking place inside of the Animus, which was kind of a silly and wishful thing to start with... and that displeasure with FC3 seems to have carried over to 4.

Wait, what?

i feel like the people who don't realize why mordor works so well are the same people who haven't played Asscreed games in the last half decade. You don't know why Mordor is so successful at what it does because you have no idea how others do it, and how poorly they go about doing it.

tchocky

In one of the first e-mails to the bombcast about what the guys look like it was mentioned that someone watched a video to see what they look like and one the crew commented "they liked it but not enough to watch a second video" referring to not knowing what Dan looks like. I wonder if they forgot that the only videos where you get to see what they look like are all subscriber with the exception of mailbags, console launches and panels.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wait, what?

I think I remember somebody mentioning that the story was so awful that the only way it would have made sense is if you woke up and came out of the animus at the end.

I don't think anybody actually held that against the game, it was more...you know. That the story was so god awful.

I don't want to be friends with anyone who doesn't vote Fridge-kun, think about it, who's the only duder that's been on set every week since their introduction to the office, Fridge-kun, that's who.

i feel like the people who don't realize why mordor works so well are the same people who haven't played Asscreed games in the last half decade. You don't know why Mordor is so successful at what it does because you have no idea how others do it, and how poorly they go about doing it.

Nope, I've played plenty of Asscreed and open world games, which is how I can tell that Mordor is a pretty mediocre one.

Myggen

I voted Connor Tharp (even though I think it's Conner Tharp,
what a silly name!
), because of the anime avatar he's getting soon.

popo

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it comes down to, but how did you get that from that podcast? I didn't catch that at all.

It was more a general impression. The only games they were super positive on were Mordor and Bayo, as well as Jazz punk but that is not realistic.

I know, I meant more "is Minneapolis in the Midwest"

I'm British

huh, never would have guessed you were One Of Us.

He also said something on his tumblr about 2013 being a transition yeah, 2014 being kind of stale, and how he wanted to 'go big' in 2015.

There also was the question about why lost rewatch wasn't a GB premium cast, and he said "frankly, because I want to own it.'

Between that, his wording on Bombin, the hiring listing for GBNY, it makes me wonder if he's out. He hasn't written all that many features lately, either..

The studio space thing is a pretty big wrench in the whole works, though. He might be striking out on his own or something, though.

All that is a big reach. He also talked about the studio Cards is building for him in their new office. I can't see a youtube personality needing a studio.

I don't think he has enjoyed the isolation of being the only one in the state and working from home all the time - I can see him being frustrated and hoping for better in 2015. I can also see Alex and Patrick wanting to get out of the business of posting general news and trailers - so that could be a reason to hire a new guy.

EDIT ; Actually I think he flat out said on his tumblr that he wasn't planning a move any time soon.

FStop7

Banned

I've played every Asscreed game since the original, save this year's entries. I've played every Far Cry game, every GTA since 3, Crysis, etc etc... pretty much the whole gamut of high profile, open world games...

Mordor has good combat and the Nemesis system is fun, for a while... but that's all there is to it. The actual campaign is whack. And shredding hordes of 30 orcs at a time (aka being 'The Human Cuisinart' as Vinny put it) gets old after a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom