• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Eh, not sure I understand getting irate at people who pre-order things. Let people spend their money however they want. Sometimes people save money by pre-ordering (E3 FS/BB deal $20 discounts per game), sometimes people know they're going to get a game regardless of how it turns out (would many of you go with the "wait for reviews" philosophy if Half-Life 3 were to come out?), sometimes people want the (meaningless) pre-order trinkets... Whatever.

Myggen

I only ever peeked at the GB forums back when I discovered the site in 09/10, but it always felt like it was totally moderator's discretion, and far too nebulous for any sort of decent application of a standard. The livestream moderation has been insane recently though, feels like PG moderation for people watching R rated entertainment.

I honestly don't follow the chat all that much, so can't say too much there. But it's pretty understandable that they're a bit paranoid about it given that the guys themselves read the chat, and what has happened when Samantha Kalman etc. have been on (that part has been a lot better since they purged a big number of people aound the time GamerGate first became a thing, Extra Life was generally great for that stuff). But yeah, that stuff probably can be better.

As for the forum, I haven't had much of an issue with the moderation there, especially since the new forum rules were implemented a few months ago in response to all the mess around GG. I just think saying that both the moderators and the community are shitty is, frankly, a shitty thing to say with little basis.

Ignignort

I think when Jeff answered my call (Nathan from Australia) I was a bit surprised. Probably sounded like one of those awkward kids at a Minecraft convention. I'm glad I got my general questions answered though, was my first time in being a subscriber for many years actually submitting a question. I had no idea about the dick size thing until after the call omg.. I'm surprised they kept going

Zaph

I think when Jeff answered my call (Nathan from Australia) I was a bit surprised. Probably sounded like one of those awkward kids at a Minecraft convention. I'm glad I got my general questions answered though, was my first time in being a subscriber for many years actually submitting a question. I had no idea about the dick size thing until after the call omg.. I'm surprised they kept going
You sounded fine.

Generally, the whole segment was pretty solid. GJ GB community.

t1419408000z0.png

SmithnCo

Anyone remember how long the end of MGS2 is? I remember the end cutscenes being pretty long just by themselves. Should be a good ep.

Volotaire

Anyone remember how long the end of MGS2 is? I remember the end cutscenes being pretty long just by themselves. Should be a good ep.

That room fight, cutscene, more cutscenes as Raiden goes to top, Ray boss fight, even more cutscenes, Solidus fight, more cutscenes, credits, ending twist.

I honestly don't follow the chat all that much, so can't say too much there. But it's pretty understandable that they're a bit paranoid about it given that the guys themselves read the chat, and what has happened when Samantha Kalman etc. have been on (that part has been a lot better since they purged a big number of people aound the time GamerGate first became a thing, Extra Life was generally great for that stuff). But yeah, that stuff probably can be better.

As for the forum, I haven't had much of an issue with the moderation there, especially since the new forum rules were implemented a few months ago in response to all the mess around GG. I just think saying that both the moderators and the community are shitty is, frankly, a shitty thing to say with little basis.

Yeah I don't think putting the official community on blast is totally fair, it seems like a breakdown due to no real leadership at the top. I know Rorie's now technically in charge of that stuff, I wonder if he ever has discussions privately with the mods about what direction they want to go. But I've seen some bizarre bans on livechat, including directly repeating what has just been said by the GB crew.

jaina

directly repeating what has just been said by the GB crew.

It can still be against the guidelines when the hosts occasionally say it themselves. Also you don't want something really offensive that slipped out to get a free pass to be repeated in chat. So I find that reasonable most of the time.

Myggen

Yeah I don't think putting the official community on blast is totally fair, it seems like a breakdown due to no real leadership at the top. I know Rorie's now technically in charge of that stuff, I wonder if he ever has discussions privately with the mods about what direction they want to go. But I've seen some bizarre bans on livechat, including directly repeating what has just been said by the GB crew.

Rorie's been heavily involved in making the new rules, from what I can gather he's also pretty involved in the day to day stuff. I'm sure there's been some silly bans in the chat, but I'm fine with taking a harsh line there due to the fast and immediate nature of a live chat. I'm sure that stuff can get much better though.

It can still be against the guidelines when the hosts occasionally say it themselves. Also you don't want something really offensive that slipped out to get a free pass to be repeated in chat. So I find that reasonable most of the time.

A good example of that is the GBEast stream with Tina Amini and Cara Ellison where they talked about hentai. The mods pretty much banned talk about that subject in chat even though that was a topic they discussed in depth on the stream. I was totally fine with that.

edit: Anyways, Merry Christmas GB GAF. It's the 24th here now!

I've been enjoying the way Ground Zeros plays, a lot, now that I've had the chance to play it. That said, I'm not typically the guy that gets too bent out of shape about these things but I really don't like that Kiefer Sutherland is voicing Snake. It's bizarre even in the small doses you get in Ground Zeros. He's such a well established character with an iconic voice, this decision is a little too self indulgent, even for Kojima.

Megasoum

Banned
Crossposting from the Far Cry 4 OT because it's too amazing to not share. My God FC4 is amazing

HOLY SHIT Hahahahahaha

I wanted to do a "Pagan's Wrath" event (destroy a heavily armored convoy) so I get into a pickup and start chasing the 3 jeeps. Once I get close I shoot the closest one with my grenade launcher and destroys it. Then I shoot the second one and destroys it too.

At the point the last remaining jeep was crossing a bridge so I'm about to shoot it but before I had a chance a rhino came out of fucking nowhere and rammed it. The jeep starts flipping around with the two guys ragdolling out.

I brake to a stop in the middle of the bridge when suddenly the rhino turns around and starts charging me so I go full speed in reverse while shooting it with my grenade launcher until I fell down a cliff hahahahaha

OMG I love that game.

They let people call in to Jeffs live thing? Oh boy.

The internet of now isnt the internet of 2006. Doing a call segment in this day and age is playing with fire.

Also cant wait for Drew's reactions to the info dumps in the next part of MGS. Its going to get real intense.

I'm only on Part 7 right now, but as someone who's never played any Metal Gear before, the story of MGS2 seems kinda... not good. Raiden's lame as hell, the codec characters aren't as fun as in MGS1, and the plot is taking forever to get moving. Maybe it picks up later?

Boy remember when I said this wow I sure was a fucking idiot

Volotaire

It was great. A nice change up in questions. I always love 'cultural' questions on GB.

hwy_61

Banned
So Metal Gear Scanlon got me to buy MGS: HD Collection, and Ground Zeroes.

I never played an MGS after 2. I was a teenager at the time, so other distractions
(drugs and other shit)
kept me from video games.

I started 3 tonight.
That Raiden mask cracked me up.

what do you think um means

It's an onomatopoeia putting forward your coyishness about answering my question.

If you mean a neogaf GOTY voting thread, it is here: http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=953311

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=953311 in case removing the 'm.' doesn't fix the URL, it isn't loading up right on my phone without it.

Thank you. I searched for "game of the year 2014" and got nothing, probably because of the lack of "s" at the end of "game". Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom