• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014-12-2514_00_14-kosijlt.png

2014-12-2514_00_20-kodgk9z.png

B5tWJ16CAAEQTgX.jpg

Watched ep 12&13 back to back today during brunch today.
It was amazing and drew did so so so well against metal gear and solidus at end far far better then I had anticipated first.

This game is so so so crazy, but I love them for it because no other game/series would ever attempt this kind of crazy ever again sadly.

Well done everyone can;t wait for MSG3 to start!

dan2026

Dan never really made it clear to Drew that the Rose on Raiden's codec was a real person up until the baby was mentioned. Then The Patriots cut her off.

Really? I assumed she was an AI the whole time.

Yes, really. And yeah, I think Dan should have mentioned this. Drew is probably still confused about Rose. And since that AI had the appearance of Campbell (and later Rose) because of Raiden's expectations (as Otacon puts it), it's worth pointing out that Rose never thought she was speaking with Colonel Campbell. To her, he probably had another appearance.

demidar

Yes, really. And yeah, I think Dan should have mentioned this. Drew is probably still confused about Rose. And since that AI had the appearance of Campbell (and later Rose) because of Raiden's expectations (as Otacon puts it), it's worth pointing out that Rose never thought she was speaking with Colonel Campbell. To her, he probably had another appearance.

So where was Rose physically and how did she get nanocommunication?

tchocky

They talked about it at the end of the video and Dan said he wasn't sure but he thought she was only ai at the end.

hamchan

Watching the end of MGS2, as someone who has finished all those games multiple times and knows the whole story, it was all nonsense that came out the ass of a crack fiend.

All hail MGS3 for being awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=relPtvgZDEg

(also re: the feasibilty and point of a walking nuke platform there's an optional radio conversation in MGS3 where
Naked Snake talks to the tech guy on his team about a Russian scientist's idea for Metal Gear, and said tech guy says that there was an American paper on the subject (clearly by Otacon's father) and that nobody in the military technology field understood what the point was either, given the massive drawbacks and adequacy of current mobile ICBMs. So yeah, Kojima knows that the idea is silly.
)

Touching on Peace Walker spoilers,
In Kojima's roundabout retcon of Metal Gear's origin, you get the wheelchair bound Huey designing giant walking robots. Given what we know about Huey's character, it isn't the worst excuse in the world.

Corgi

Banned
Don't feel like there was any confirmation that rose was real in mgs2. Or anything really

shwimpy

I'm playing MGS3 for the first time and I'm kind of disappointed. I'm 4-5 hours in and why is there no stupid shit yet? The game is taking itself way too seriously right now, the jungle setting is drab/boring and the characters aren't as good as MSG1 and 2.
The Pain
especially was super lame. Please tell me it gets stupider.

dan2026

Don't feel like there was any confirmation that rose was real in mgs2. Or anything really

Its not coincidence that as soon as Rose mentions she's pregnant the codec gets cut off and the next communication is weird fake Rose.

Then she mentions the baby again at the end of the game when she meets up with Raiden in the city.

Volotaire

I'm playing MGS3 for the first time and I'm kind of disappointed. I'm 4-5 hours in and why is there no stupid shit yet? The game is taking itself way too seriously right now, the jungle setting is drab/boring and the characters aren't as good as MSG1 and 2.
The Pain

I'm further than you, and I'm finding the dialogue very poor. I'm not sure if they hired even poorer scriptwriters or translators, but it could be much more succinct. As for silliness, there are some bewildering gameplay moments that scream Kojima.

sjack

Banned
I'm playing MGS3 for the first time and I'm kind of disappointed. I'm 4-5 hours in and why is there no stupid shit yet?

Wait, bee commandos, a cocky, campy growling Young Ocelot and over the top femme fatal EVA is not stupid, campy shit? Are you sure we played the same game?

Myggen

Wait, bee commandos, a cocky, campy growling Young Ocelot and over the top femme fatal EVA is not stupid, campy shit? Are you sure we played the same game?

Heh, MGS3 is a pretty...normal game compared to MGS2, but yeah, there's plenty of weird shit in that game too. Kojima really turns the weird to 11 again in MGS4.

They don't need nuclear launch capabilities but need to be nuclear powered then?

Or are the Rays not?

Did they ever go into detail about what makes Metal Gear Ray 'anti metal gear'? Was thinking it was more of just a cool mech vs mech factor, but Kojima seems to love to give some reasoning behind everything.

But then... what was the logical reason behind metal gear for MGS1? What made a bipedal nuke launching platform better than nuke equipped sub?
A little late on this, but I think Otacon just had too much freedom when designing it. He said specifically that he designed it after the mechs in his favorite anime. He could have gone with a more traditional tank, but he went with something that looked cooler. Presumably they wanted something that could be deployed in a land battle, which is why they didn't just go with a sub.

LeBart

Its not coincidence that as soon as Rose mentions she's pregnant the codec gets cut off and the next communication is weird fake Rose.

Then she mentions the baby again at the end of the game when she meets up with Raiden in the city.

I think it's no coincidence that it's so hard to tell what's real and what's not either. I don't want to give Kojima too much credit, but I'm totally convinced the nebulous sense of reality at the end of that game was on purpose. Trying to dissect the plot to find out how everything really fits together is sort of missing the point. No matter how hard you try you're never going to explain why Raiden fights RAYs in a VR arena with no walls or ceiling.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think it's no coincidence that it's so hard to tell what's real and what's not either. I don't want to give Kojima too much credit, but I'm totally convinced the nebulous sense of reality at the end of that game was on purpose. Trying to dissect the plot to find out how everything really fits together is sort of missing the point. No matter how hard you try you're never going to explain why Raiden fights RAYs in a VR arena with no walls or ceiling.

Have you ever seen the rectum of an island sized nuclear facility meant to cleanse the internet of undesirable information?

If you can provide some solid evidence on what it should look like, I'm all ears.

Or Fortune actually deflecting those rockets. Has that ever been explained? I remember that being my biggest wtf moment when I played the game back in the day.

Kojima is just a time traveler and wanted to influence the terrible second Matrix movie before it happened with sudden inexplicable magic powers.

Myggen

Or Fortune actually deflecting those rockets. Has that ever been explained? I remember that being my biggest wtf moment when I played the game back in the day.

It's certainly not the first or last time that actual supernatural phenomena has crept into the MGS universe while all the characters keep insisting that technology is the answer to everything. It's suggested that she has psychic abilities at a few points in the game and hey, turns out she does! Even after Ocelot chalks it up to Patriot meddling.

dan2026

Psychic power is real in the MGS universe remember.

Fortune's powers are no wierder than Psycho Mantis'.

And The Sorrow is literally a ghost for fecks sake.
Oh and Merry Christmas.

LeBart

Have you ever seen the rectum of an island sized nuclear facility meant to cleanse the internet of undesirable information?

If you can provide some solid evidence on what it should look like, I'm all ears.

No I have never been inside an actual Arsenal Gear but I'm guessing its rectum isn't a Tardis. :p

ultron87

I always liked that Ocelot rationalizes Fortune's abilities for a bit there and says there isn't magic or new age mumbo jumbo while Vamp is totally still a vampire who can't die.

The Pain

1 and 3 are the more "grounded" games and are the better ones in the series IMO. 2 and 4 get way too crazy and I personally think both games, especially 4, are a mess.

MGS4 made me retroactively hate the series.

No I have never been inside an actual Arsenal Gear but I'm guessing its rectum isn't a Tardis. :p

Later game spoilers for the uninitiated:
This is also why MGS4 is the anti-MGS2, despite attempts to lump them together as the "crazy" games. MGS4 has an Arsenal Gear that you walk around in, and it's a totally normal battleship like interior made of metal and corridors and computers and not like a dreamlike VR place at all.

JayHayabusa

I'm confused. Is the latest podcast and the latest live stream the same? The podcast is 3 hours and the stream is an hour 47. Anyone knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom