• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he actually mentioned it at the end of the last video. maybe?

Yep, he sure did. I wonder what they'll look at. Maybe the cutscenes ("Polygon demos") and the character models? Really the most interesting thing from that is the game script because it's pretty heavily annotated with the subtext of lines/scenes and other hidden meanings and stuff, but you can just find that online. Luckily someone ripped/transcribed the entire thing.

Haunted

Brad seems to be the only one who loves Destiny, so I don't see it making the cut unless multiple people use his vote for their own gain. I'm thinking the list will be Jazzpunk, Far Cry 4, COD:AW, Bayonetta 2, Mordor, Dragon Age, Mario Kart 8, Luftrausers, South Park, and either Alien Isolation or Wolfenstein.
Everyone's main pet game makes it on the list at least. If there's only one proponent, it usually gets sidelined to 7-10.

Megasoum

Banned
All right, just finished Far Cry 4... Now I just need to finish Valiant Hearts and I'll finally be able to listen to the podcasts... That backlog is building up!

Now I'm wondering if I also want to finish Advanced Warfare before going through the GOTY stuff.

12k comments is kind of nuts. Meanwhile over at the Tested.com comments section
1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

Does Dan or drew have "the document of mgs2" for ps2? Would be amazing to show that off for a little bit. Its just as insane that it exists.

I think Dan mentioned it was something they might take a look at in the gap before started 3.

I never really looked at the document of MGS2 even though it was a pack in here so I would love to see it again.

Megasoum

Banned
Guys... Valiant Hearts is not a good game...

Trying to go through it before listening to the GOTY podcast but ugh... Sure the artstyle and all the emotional stuff is great but the actual gameplay is kinda bad.

Guys... Valiant Hearts is not a good game...

Trying to go through it before listening to the GOTY podcast but ugh... Sure the artstyle and all the emotional stuff is great but the actual gameplay is kinda bad.

I wouldn't go as far as bad...

I beat it yesterday and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't recommend it at all if you're looking for a puzzle platformer, but you should be playing it for the story and set pieces anyhow.

Megasoum

Banned
I wouldn't go as far as bad...

I beat it yesterday and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't recommend it at all if you're looking for a puzzle platformer, but you should be playing it for the story and set pieces anyhow.

Too much backtracking and kinda repetitive puzzles.

Anyway it's not terrible or anything but it doesn't help that I'm forcing myself to play it to get it done.

I just finished chapter 2 so I guess I'm halfway through? Bleh

Anyway it's not terrible or anything but it doesn't help that I'm forcing myself to play it to get it done.

Yeah your run speed blows so if you're constantly going back and forth (which you probably are because oh here's this item I missed) it gets to be a drag pretty quick. Yeah you're exactly half way through.

The medic mini games are complete trash as well.

santeesioux

ESPN used to have the best comment section. And by best I mean most fucking insane. Somehow a mid-season college football game between I think Ole Miss and another SEC team back in like 2011 reached 67k comments.

SEC foobaw is serious business. ESPN comments are still a dumpster fire though even with the facebook integration.

12k comments is kind of nuts. Meanwhile over at the Tested.com comments section.

Haven't looked at that site in a while but just spend twenty minutes or so bouncing around. Zero comments there, but they almost seem to be a pretty YouTube-driven joint at this point -- pretty good YouTube numbers. And some really nice videos too! Perhaps I should keep an eye on the channel.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably the best place to ask: can you use the original overhead camera in MGS3D on 3DS?

Megasoum

Banned
I wish we had a "Screened Unarchived" youtube channel... Matt, Alex and Joey did some amazing stuff during the short life of the site.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
totally agree with Jeff about Advanced Warfare. best Call of Duty campaign since MW2 and the multiplayer feels just fresh enough with the new movement stuff.

Went and picked up KORG DSN-12, as per Kalman's suggestion.

Jesus Christ what did I get myself into. Are there tutorials on how to use this stuff? I'm familiar with a few concepts used in synthesizers, but when they're thrown together like this I have no idea what to do.

Renpatsu

Valiant Hearts is like Never Alone in that the game works best in tandem with its quasi-documentary elements that accompany the gameplay.

You're right though, the puzzles aren't exactly inspired.

Finish it!

Huh, Jeff logged in to Warframe. Interesting to see what his opinion of the game is now that a hand-full of updates more less changed the game completely.

Jesus Christ what did I get myself into. Are there tutorials on how to use this stuff? I'm familiar with a few concepts used in synthesizers, but when they're thrown together like this I have no idea what to do.

I bought it a while ago and it's definitely a bit difficult to get into, and I say this as someone who has a table covered with synthesizers at home. The interface really isn't the most intuitive.

This video's a long one (also covers the M01D), but it seems like it's worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceEvVvqfSgw
You can skip the first 15 minutes.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, Jeff logged in to Warframe. Interesting to see what his opinion of the game is now that a hand-full of updates more less changed the game completely.

I have over 80 hours logged but the last time I played was in February, barring a brief look at the PS4 version a few weeks ago. The entire interface was unrecognizable. I like it, but Marvel Heroes is my f2p forever game with almost 1100 hours.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm starting to feel confident that Jeff has chosen call of duty for his goty. I can't blame him if he's gotten pulled back into the multiplayer. I don't see him giving his personal goty to mordor, nor do I see him giving it to far cry 4, given its similarities to 3, but it would be next in line to call of duty for him I think. Actually, next in line might be jazzpunk.

1. call of duty
2. jazzpunk
3. far cry 4
4. shadow of mordor

Man I totally almost had jeff's top 3. I don't know why I thought he liked jazzpunk more than he did.

well the good news is if you wrap your head around it, you'll basically understand any analogue or virtual analogue synth you pick up from now on.

jumping into synthesis with one based on patch cables and with a kind of obscure multi-page layout is a pretty steep learning curve.

oh my god its on the eshop i need this

hwy_61

Banned
This is a little OT, but I want to know what you guys think of this.

I think I disagree with Jeff on Driveclub. Which is confusing the fuck out of me, because I usually don't disagree with the guy on anything. Well, except Nintendo, but for the most part his dislikes and likes of a game fall side by side with my own. I'm playing Driveclub, and the whole time I'm thinking either Jeff played a different game, or he just could not get a feel for the driving. I don't know, but I'm having a lot of fun with it, and this is coming from someone who loves the shit out of Forza FWIW. Three stars I could see, but two? Nah. Two's way too harsh.

I think I disagree with Jeff on Driveclub. Which is confusing the fuck out of me, because I usually don't disagree with the guy on anything. Well, except Nintendo, but for the most part his dislikes and likes of a game fall side by side with my own. I'm playing Driveclub, and the whole time I'm thinking either Jeff played a different game, or he just could not get a feel for the driving. I don't know, but I'm having a lot of fun with it, and this is coming from someone who loves the shit out of Forza FWIW. Three stars I could see, but two? Nah. Two's way too harsh.

The only theory I can come up with is that one of you has been replaced with a fake.

Myggen

There's been some balance patches since launch too. I don't know how (if any) that has affected the actual driving of the car, but it did soften the time penalties Jeff complained about in his review and QL.

hwy_61

Banned
There's been some balance patches since launch too. I don't know how (if any) that has affected the actual driving of the car, but it did soften the time penalties Jeff complained about in his review and QL.

OK, that makes sense. I actually played it for the first time last night.

They've made some changes to the game since release that have fixed some issues with AI and handling that were pretty frustrating at launch (specifically AI cars ramming the fuck into you because they wouldn't leave the driving line). But I feel similarly to you; once you accept its handling model it's a pretty solid and very, very gorgeous racer that's too thin on features.

Most Disappointing Game:

I think mostly because I never connected with the hype for Destiny, I don't connect to the disappointment. I didn't understand what the game was supposed to be or the expectation. I finally played it and said 'oh, this is Destiny' I wasn't thrilled but not disappointed, at least not at first. I really enjoyed the game up until THAT MOMENT...the one that everyone had where you finish the story and look ahead and what you'll actually have to do to level up past ~26-27. That's when I got really disappointed because I wanted to play more but felt like I reached a point where the game told me I was done. I really didn't want to grind the same mission or area over and over MMO style. I still had 15-20 hours of great fun before that moment.

Now with Watchdoawgs, my disappointment was immediate and constant through my experience. But, I was way more attached to WatchDoges and what they were trying to sell. I had much bigger expectations, so that was my most disappointing game. I can totally understand Destiny as someone's argument but I didn't have a similar experience.

Xater

The driving has not changed at all. Jeff's complaint about that was always just crazy talk.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Most Disappointing Game:

I think mostly because I never connected with the hype for Destiny, I don't connect to the disappointment. I didn't understand what the game was supposed to be or the expectation. I finally played it and said 'oh, this is Destiny' I wasn't thrilled but not disappointed, at least not at first. I really enjoyed the game up until THAT MOMENT...the one that everyone had where you finish the story and look ahead and what you'll actually have to do to level up past ~26-27. That's when I got really disappointed because I wanted to play more but felt like I reached a point where the game told me I was done. I really didn't want to grind the same mission or area over and over MMO style. I still had 15-20 hours of great fun before that moment.

Now with Watchdoawgs, my disappointment was immediate and constant through my experience. But, I was way more attached to WatchDoges and what they were trying to sell. I had much bigger expectations, so that was my most disappointing game. I can totally understand Destiny as someone's argument but I didn't have a similar experience.

I was never interested in Destiny, but it wasn't until after the last beta when they said "Yep, that's all of Earth" when I realized that a whole hell of a lot of people were going to not like Destiny. Until like a week before launch I assumed it was going to deliver, but just deliver on a game I wasn't going to play. Watch_Dogs was apparent for a full year before the game's release that it was going to be a complete turd. It was painfully obvious that it was a new skin for Assassin's Creed (especially after playing FarCry 3) and the released media looked worse and worse every round of new images. Unless the only coverage of the game that you saw was the original reveal trailer, I don't get being disappointed with Watch Dogs ending up mediocre at best.

Even AC Unity has a better argument. That game launched fucking broke and worse than the previous game on last gen and the newer last gen game.

Xater

I was never interested in Destiny, but it wasn't until after the last beta when they said "Yep, that's all of Earth" when I realized that a whole hell of a lot of people were going to not like Destiny. Until like a week before launch I assumed it was going to deliver, but just deliver on a game I wasn't going to play. Watch_Dogs was apparent for a full year before the game's release that it was going to be a complete turd. It was painfully obvious that it was a new skin for Assassin's Creed (especially after playing FarCry 3) and the released media looked worse and worse every round of new images. Unless the only coverage of the game that you saw was the original reveal trailer, I don't get being disappointed with Watch Dogs ending up mediocre at best.

Even AC Unity has a better argument. That game launched fucking broke and worse than the previous game on last gen and the newer last gen game.

Yeah Watch Dogs was the kind of game that whenever they showed more of the game it looked worse. I don't even mean graphically. It was obvious that they couldn't deliver on their promises and it just turned into AC: Modern World.

I agree that AC: Unity should have been most disappointing. AC4 was alright. It didn't reinvent the wheel but it also didn't fuck anything up. Unity was supposed to be the next big step with a new cool scenario. What happened was it underdelivered on the premise, doesn't deliver anything new (hell they didn't even try to fix some of the problems the series has) and it's a buggy mess to boot.

I never played Unity so I can't speak to it. I got sick of how they've watered down AC and just keep making games that don't address issues. Even if I had played it I had no positive expectations from that series at this point. Since PSN was down I grabbed my roomate's copy of Black Flag and started playing it again. I forgot that I really enjoyed 4 and I'm having fun playing it again. If I had played Unity recently after a replay of 4 than I think Unity would be at the top of the list.

Watch_Dogs is a game that nobody in their right mind actually thought was going to live up to its promises. And even then what we got was a game that wasn't bad by any real definition, it's just basically the poster child for uninspired game-by-committee.

Destiny is a game that could have moonwalked to the tops of year-end lists if it actually had interesting content to support its framework and a developer that wasn't dead-set on iteratively worsening the player experience.

Aerobatics

Neo Member
Man, I'm like a month late and insanely off topic, but am I the only person who really wanted to play persona q once I heard that music in the quick look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom