• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoe's list was posted. The comments don't look moderated, yet they're all....nice

I very quickly noticed some of the telltale slightly-taller-than-normal gaps between comments indicating deleted ones, and that the comment count on the page had about 2-3 more comments than actually existed below.

Myggen

It's almost like she's really likeable and you'd have to be evil to hate her.

Dude, hear me out here...she's a woman. It's all about them ethics.

I very quickly noticed some of the telltale slightly-taller-than-normal gaps between comments indicating deleted ones, and that the comment count on the page had about 2-3 more comments than actually existed below.

Yep, a couple of deleted comments there. The one I saw wasn't too bad, but bad enough to get flagged of course.

Zaph

Yeah, that's what I expected but didn't notice any. Oh well.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Daaaamn I'm gonna miss Patrick on Giant Bomb, though truth be told since he moved to Chicago I guess it won't really take a lot of getting used to. I'll follow him, wherever he ends up.

GolazoDan

Sad to see Patrick go. It took me a while to properly warm to him but about a year after he joined I just saw him as one of the crew. He also improved a bunch on camera and on the podcast, really cool to see. This has kinda been inevitable since he moved, even more since Vinny and Alex formalised GBEAST, but I'll read his stuff wherever he goes.

Are Kotaku rejigging positions at the moment? M'man Jason just got promoted. Maybe that's where he'll land.

Megasoum

Banned
So where is Luftwraser (sp) coming from exactly?

I remember watching the quicklook and the guys saying it was kinda cool but then we never heard anything about it from anybody for the rest of the year and then it's suddenly Jeff's goty wtf?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm not really surprised. I missed him when he moved to Chicago but I never really dug bis solo content so much, so them hiring a third person for the Vinny office instead makes bis departure a bit less sad

Zaph

Sad to see Patrick go. It took me a while to properly warm to him but about a year after he joined I just saw him as one of the crew. He also improved a bunch on camera and on the podcast, really cool to see. This has kinda been inevitable since he moved, even more since Vinny and Alex formalised GBEAST, but I'll read his stuff wherever he goes.

Are Kotaku rejigging positions at the moment? M'man Jason just got promoted. Maybe that's where he'll land.
Jason Schreier got promoted? Well deserved. One of the handful of people in the industry who can actually call themself a journalist.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Lol. Finalizing the games on the GOTY list in the podcast is going how i thought it would in almost every way.

njean777

Jim Sterling should join gb

That would be awesome but at the same time I do not think most people would like him. He has a vulgar sense of humor and is way more abrasive then anybody at GB. I like him, but I can understand why most people wouldn't.

Also I do not like that line in his exit editorial where Patrick is talking about Brad. Almost reads as Brad may be considering leaving also :(.

Bacon

Also I do not like that line in his exit editorial where Patrick is talking about Brad. Almost reads as Brad may be considering leaving also :(.

Yeah I don't get why he wrote that about Brad but none of the others. Just seems like a strange thing to say in a public forum where he knows people are going to hyper analyze everything that he says. (Like I'm doing right now...damnit.)

Myggen

Highly doubt he would write that if there was anything to it. More likely that it's a weirdly worded "hope we meet again".

Yeah I don't get why he wrote that about Brad but none of the others. Just seems like a strange thing to say in a public forum where he knows people are going to hyper analyze everything that he says. (Like I'm doing right now...damnit.)

He wrote it because they've known each other for over a decade? That's all I can think of.

tchocky

If we are going to wildly speculate it has seemed one of Patrick's only frustrations has been his desire to hire freelancers which he wanted to use to get more diversity onto GB. He mentioned at the end of last year it was his main hope for 2014 and nothing came of it he was asked about on tumblr in october:

Any progress on the site's freelancer budget at all?

Sadly no.

Myggen

If we are going to wildly speculate it has seemed one of Patrick's only frustrations has been his desire to hire freelancers which he wanted to use to get more diversity onto GB. He mentioned at the end of last year it was his main hope for 2014 and nothing came of it he was asked about on tumblr in october:

Well, doesn't the job announcement for the new senior editor position mention freelancers?

Megasoum

Banned
Brad's argument for Destiny really annoys me. Not because I hate Destiny but because he keeps repeating that the loot is better than Diablo's. Wtf... D3 totally had a shit ton of unique hand crafted loot.

I mean... If you want to defend your game by comparing it to another, at least make sure that you actually know the other game you're talking about.

V_Ben

Banned
Sad about Patrick leaving, but he did feel a little underused in this past year. If this change lets him do what he wants to in a fun new place again, I'm all for it.

Long live scoops.

Seventy70

Brad's argument for Destiny really annoys me. Not because I hate Destiny but because he keeps repeating that the loot is better than Diablo's. Wtf... D3 totally had a shit ton of unique hand crafted loot.

I mean... If you want to defend your game by comparing it to another, at least make sure that you actually know the other game you're talking about.

I like Brad, but when it comes to GOTY, he can really get on my nerves. It's like he HAS TO argue the opposite of everyone else and doesn't stop until he gets his way. He also gets defensive really quickly and can come close to insulting the others.

tchocky

Well, doesn't the job announcement for the new senior editor position mention freelancers?

Well hopefully they actually get some, Patrick said in March it looked like they were going to have a freelance budget this year so we'll see.

But it looks like we will have a freelance budget this year! Besides having a different set of voices on the morning show, I can actually pay people to share their thoughts, feelings, and ideas. That sounds really exciting. Hopefully, that will pan out sooner rather than later.

Zaph

I hope they took that freelancer money and put it either in the travel kitty or towards a new permanent staff member.

Maybe Jeff had some interesting ideas for the freelance content (apparently he was into it), but the last thing that comes to mind when I think Giant Bomb is written opinion pieces by rando's.

Myggen

I hope they took that freelancer money and put it either in the travel kitty or towards a new permanent staff member.

Maybe Jeff had some interesting ideas for the freelance content (apparently he was into it), but the last thing that comes to mind when I think Giant Bomb is written opinion pieces by rando's.

I'd like to think that Jeff has some good ideas when it comes to that stuff, he knows that just getting freelancers to write reviews and shit like that won't work.

obonicus

Don't have to be randos. The stuff Cara Ellison is doing could be done as a freelancer (I mean, Patreon is kinda crowdsourced freelancing).

cdViking

I like Brad, but when it comes to GOTY, he can really get on my nerves. It's like he HAS TO argue the opposite of everyone else and doesn't stop until he gets his way. He also gets defensive really quickly and can come close to insulting the others.

I thought he was totally cool until things escalated with Destiny, and that was reasonable self-defense because of how his opinion got shit on by Alex literally seconds after Alex got everything he wanted.

Also, Drew needs to play more games if he's going to be doing editorial more and more.

yeah not much of a surprise, and his articles were kind of a mess this year, but it's still a huge loss just in terms of having a different voice on the site. way more fun than he was given credit for a lot of the time too, at least when they were all together - but that was so rare nowadays that I guess a move makes sense.

really interested in seeing what direction they go with the new hire.

Ketch

It will be replaced by an Alex and Vinny podcast.

Is that for true? It would be even worse if we lost scoops and Alex disappeared into the background again. Man, I'm just totally bummed out now. Patrick was a fucking work horse, the site really needed him.

Myggen

Is that for true? It would be even worse if we lost scoops and Alex disappeared into the background again. Man, I'm just totally bummed out now. Patrick was a fucking work horse, the site really needed him.

What do you mean? Alex won't disappear into the background when he's doing a podcast with Vinny! The whole plan is for them to ramp up more video and audio content with the new studio this year.

hamchan

We'll probably see more Alex once GBeast starts expanding.

Also Stardust top 10, brilliant. WWE needs to use him more instead of making them lose to boring Usos and New Day.

Rainmaker

Banned
Patrick was a crucial voice for the site. Who they hire next is incredibly important. I'm beyond bummed about this and pretty nervous about the future.

Cara is the hero we need.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

Did you miss the video of them showing of where they are building a new studio? If anything there will be far more Alex content than ever.

So do guys think they already know who the new hire will be or will it be a long wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom