• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Well, "5+ years of experience in games journalism" will narrow the field a bit at least.

The application is so fucking specific anyway, I'm sure they already had somebody specific in mind since day one and published the opening because it's required in the CBS rules.

Myggen

The application is so fucking specific anyway, I'm sure they already had somebody specific in mind since day one and published the opening because it's required in the CBS rules.

I wouldn't be surprised. The requirements in that job description are incredibly demanding.

I would like "Jim Fucking Sterling, Son" to work for Giant Bomb.

People keep saying this, but I don't see Jim as a good fit with the GB guys. I think he's great & thoroughly entertaining, but his style just doesn't seem suited to GB.

Cara Ellision however...

(I also want this cause I used to write for the same site as her for a spell and this would give me a connection to GB in a way)

Myggen

Also, Jim is riding the Patreon train right now. He's stated on a number of occasions that what he likes to do best is reviews and the kind of Quick Look videos he does for his YT channel, he's not a news man at all.

Maybe it'll be Russ Frushtick, who Alex and Vinny shared the airwaves on earlier this month and said that it will probably be January when his new job is announced.

I doubt it though.

AngryMoth

Much as I'd like them to hire Cara, isn't she more of an editorial person rather than someone that would cover "day-to-day industry news"?

Can't really think of anyone that fully fits their criteria and that might be interested. Jason Scherier maybe?

Myggen

Much as I'd like them to hire Cara, isn't she more of an editorial person rather than someone that would cover "day-to-day industry news"?

Can't really think of anyone that fully fits their criteria and that might be interested. Jason Scherier maybe?

Jason just got promoted to the new editor of a mucher larger website. No luck there. Tina Amini from Kotaku is much more realistic (and a great choice), I think.

I'm listening to a very enthusiastic Jeff talk about World of Warcraft expansions.

This HotSpot stuff is so surreal.

Hah, he played WoW for a brief period there :p

Megasoum

Banned
On a completely OT subject but it reminded me of Ryan who I know loved those movies... I've been going through the Ocean's trilogy in the last couple of days.

I always LOOOOVEEDDD the first one...Seriously one of the best heist movie ever made. My memory of the other two was that I hated the second one when I saw it in theatre but kinda liked the third one.

So I just finished the second one (for the first time since the theaters) and it's actually not bad at all. Like it's goofy and stupid (especially the Julia Roberts stuff) but it's really much better than I remembered.

Now to Thirteen.

Yeah I think Tina is a good shout. I've liked her on the couple live shows she's appeared on & seeing her on some Bonus Rounds on Gametrailers. I reckon she'd be a good fit.

On a completely OT subject but it reminded me of Ryan who I know loved those movies... I've been going through the Ocean's trilogy in the last couple of days.

I always LOOOOVEEDDD the first one...Seriously one of the best heist movie ever made. My memory of the other two was that I hated the second one when I saw it in theatre but kinda liked the third one.

So I just finished the second one (for the first time since the theaters) and it's actually not bad at all. Like it's goofy and stupid (especially the Julia Roberts stuff) but it's really much better than I remembered.

Now to Thirteen.

The second really soured me on the series, I thought the Julia Roberts stuff was so dumb & not in a way I could get behind. I never did see 13 after that. I should probably check it out at some point.

Myggen

Yeah I think Tina is a good shout. I've liked her on the couple live shows she's appeared on & seeing her on some Bonus Rounds on Gametrailers. I reckon she'd be a good fit.

The second really soured me on the series, I thought the Julia Roberts stuff was so dumb & not in a way I could get behind. I never did see 13 after that. I should probably check it out at some point.

I would imagine that not that many prominent game journalists are based in NYC, so someone from Kotaku would be quite likely. Tina already knows Alex, has been on one of the E3 panels, been on a Bonus Round with Jeff, has experience both with text journalism and with video. So yeah, she's a good shout if she wants the job.

And yes, I thought Ocean 12 suuuuuucked. 13 is much better.

I would imagine that not that many prominent game journalists are based in NYC, so someone from Kotaku would be quite likely. Tina already knows Alex, has been on one of the E3 panels, been on a Bonus Round with Jeff, has experience both with text journalism and with video. So yeah, she's a good shout if she wants the job.

Tina was on a Beast Live Show with Cara not too long ago too, there were some fun discussions on that show in between a lot of excellent nonsense.

Ht5ZOGU.png

We survived Gameageddon at least.

Myggen

Tina was on a Beast Live Show with Cara not too long ago too, there were some fun discussions on that show in between a lot of excellent nonsense.

Lots of hentai talk IIRC :p

Is the Japanese part of the job listing a requirement?

Doesn't look like that, but the formatting is all kinds of fucked up in that listing. I can't imagine it is though, if it was it would be a sure sign that they already have their man/woman.

Oh wow, someone's picked a real weird battle to fight in the other thread. It's gonna get embarrassing.

Yeah, I bailed from that thread now. Not worth it.

hamchan

Doesn't look like that, but the formatting is all kinds of fucked up in that listing. I can't imagine it is though, if it was it would be a sure sign that they already have their man/woman.

Japanese experience.... They probably do have a person: Cara.

Now let's bombard her twitter like that Jared Rosen guy.

And yes, I thought Ocean 12 suuuuuucked. 13 is much better.

Yeah, I think she would be good for GBEast. Although, had she not gone to GameSpot, I think Alexa Ray Corriea would have been perhaps the best fit. I think she was the most frequent guest on the morning show. She still ended up in the GB/GS family regardless, so maybe she can bug Dan about LOTR stuff.

Volotaire

Although GB lost Patrick today, it's an exciting prospect to see what GBeast do in 2015. They have a huge CBSi office with CNET and other shows at their fingertips. Plus, with the prospect of an even larger and more prominent podcast, a new hire and new show formats, it's going to be an exciting year for GB. Two relatively large podcasts per week. Insanity.

I've just emerged from my GOTY isolation chamber to find that the entire world has changed around me. Here are my general reactions to the past 12-ish hours:

- God dammit Tharp, this is all your fault.

I can't be stopped!
xqfrsLv.gif

Yes.

I have to have this avatar till March 1st.

Braaaaaaaaaaaad!

I'm benevolent. PAX south is coming up so we can look at making a bet about something. It'll give you a chance to potentially lose the avatar early.

Rainmaker

Banned
Probably just an overreaction to read too much into Patrick's words to Brad in his goodbye, right? As easy as it is to give Brad a hard time he's actually a big part of a lot of my favorite Giant Bomb stuff. If he wasn't around I'm not sure it'd feel like Giant Bomb

I'm ridiculous.

Dave Lang is the #1 choice, he's S+ tier. Karen, Cara, Jeff Green and the others are down in the boonies of C tier and lower.

I also vote for hiring Jason's wife. She was awesome on extra life.

They have a application up for Patricks replacement already?

Is it for SF or NY?

Kind of hope the GBE gets to pick up another staffer. I think having another person there would really open up the stuff they do.

Anyway hope the internet can keep it classy when they announce the next hire. The stuff around Dan and Jason was damn right embarrassing.

Volotaire

They have a application up for Patricks replacement already?

Is it for SF or NY?

Kind of hope the GBE gets to pick up another staffer. I think having another person there would really open up the stuff they do.

Anyway hope the internet can keep it classy when they announce the next hire. The stuff around Dan and Jason was damn right embarrassing.

Applications ended 28 days ago according to the job posting. NY. Jeff said he was going to start sifting through the applicants this month by GOTY content left them quite busy.

Applications ended 28 days ago according to the job posting. NY. Jeff said he was going to start sifting through the applicants this month by GOTY content left them quite busy.

They totally snook that one out huh?

I guess maybe after everyone in their community applied for the last jobs they wanted to avoid that again.

Anyway this means it shouldnt be too long before we have a idea who they are getting. Cool.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Dave Lang is the #1 choice, he's S+ tier. Karen, Cara, Jeff Green and the others are down in the boonies of C tier and lower.

I also vote for hiring Jason's wife. She was awesome on extra life.

I do like Dave Lang, and the secondary sadness of losing Patrick, to me, is having less chances of seeing Dave Lang interact with GB. I really should sit down and listen to his podcast.

Mrs. Aye-Striker was pretty great. Perhaps an ongoing segment of them playing games would be good. Thought they were about to start that with that twitch stream where Jason started playing that strange Vita game (anyone remember this, it has something to do with insane prison terms and shaving off decades of your sentence).

I think the backlash against people suggesting Giant Bomb solely employing white males was the embarrassing thing. That was the thing Jeff wrote his letter over after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom