• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer to see Patrick go, but at least we won't have to hear about anymore dumb anime games. Just kidding, hope he lands on his feet, curious as to where he goes next. Anyone have any ideas?

Fjordson

Giant Bomb's Tumblr fanbase has been pretty vocal today too. I can see it: Patrick is far and away the most talkative on the crew with social issues, it sucks they're losing that voice.

I kinda like Giant Bomb because it always feels like its changing. Even when they are at their best there's always something crazy on the horizon.

Also, two mentions of Cara Ellison on the last episode of Bombin'. BELIEVE.
It's a bummer for sure, but some of these comments are just...I mean damn, people are really goin' in :lol

He was the only interesting voice Giant Bomb had.
Huh? I wouldn't call myself a "fan," but anyway isn't the Giant Bomb shtick that they're uninteresting? They're chubby white guys that eat snack food and drink a lot and like wrestling and other dude stuff Just Like You, except that have a well run site and loads of industry connections? I didn't say they were shitty, just that Patrick was a unique voice in that group.
Patrick was, not a slight against the rest of the crew, kind of the only intelligent guy on site

Ice burn.

Was hoping we could lose Gerstman first tbh.

He's the single biggest reason I don't follow the site.

Yeah, he's my least favorite too.
0529_mtacy.gif

Myggen

Did you miss the video of them showing of where they are building a new studio? If anything there will be far more Alex content than ever.

So do guys think they already know who the new hire will be or will it be a long wait?

I imagine that they're in no rush. But they've been pretty proactive, the job opening has been out for quite a long time now. Some people even speculated that it was all a formality because of how extremely specific it was (the Japanese section in particular), so who knows.

I've always been a fan of Tina Amini. Wouldn't mind if she got the job!

Fjordson

I imagine that they're in no rush. But they've been pretty proactive, the job opening has been out for quite a long time now. Some people even speculated that it was all a formality because of how extremely specific it was (the Japanese section in particular), so who knows.

I've always been a fan of Tina Amini. Wouldn't mind if she got the job!
So the new spot is confirmed for the NYC office?

edit: right, the job listing on Linkedin says as much. I'm dumb.

I don't know how anyone could hate Jeff.
I don't get it either, though hey, I respect people's right to dislike whoever they want. Just a little confusing considering it's Jeff's site. He ain't exactly the new intern.

Myggen

I don't get it either, though hey, I respect people's right to dislike whoever they want. Just a little confusing considering it's Jeff's site. He ain't exactly the new intern.

It almost wouldn't be GB without Jeff to me. I can't say that about anyone else, even though I can't imagine what the site would be without Brad and Vinny. He's the heart and soul of that site. I imagine that anyone who would say that they wish Jeff left the site isn't a fan of GB, because it seems absurd to be a fan of GB and not like Jeff.

GolazoDan

Yeah, I never really get why people hate Jeff, apart from the Zelda thing (8.8 was too high, Jeff was trying to save you from yourselves Nintendo people). I think there's a lot of people who don't follow the site and don't know the characters who hear Jeff saying how shit Yoshi is and take that stuff to heart which is a bit weird.

Videogamer goes for the Giant Bomb sort of audience with their stuff (no idea how many people here watch their videos) and they get the same sort of reactions.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah, I never really get why people hate Jeff, apart from the Zelda thing (8.8 was too high, Jeff was trying to save you from yourselves Nintendo people). I think there's a lot of people who don't follow the site and don't know the characters who hear Jeff saying how shit Yoshi is and take that stuff to heart which is a bit weird.

Videogamer goes for the Giant Bomb sort of audience with their stuff (no idea how many people here watch their videos) and they get the same sort of reactions.

Jeff hates alot of popular games and states that very bluntly. If you only hear of Jeff through his complaints about Game X, which is a game you love, I can see people hating him. Howard Stern is in a similar situation. Most people who "hate" him hear one controversial statement and base their entire opinion around that. They don't listen to the other four hours he's on the radio. Jeff is in a similar situation.

demidar

Patrick's actually leaving? Huh, interesting. I hope the next person they hire will bring more diverse games coverage.

But hey, a Vinny and Alex podcast is a great consolation.

Myggen

Update from Jeff on Tumblr regarding the new Senior news editor position:

We’ve been taking resumes for a position in our New York office for quite awhile now. I was hoping to at least get some applicants into the interview process during December, but Game of the Year sucked up a ton of time.

Egg0

Banned
I'm guessing Alex and Vinny would be the ones doing the interviews. From reading Patricks' writeup, Vinny seems to be a great interviewer.

I'm guessing Alex and Vinny would be the ones doing the interviews. From reading Patricks' writeup, Vinny seems to be a great interviewer.

I would definitely trust Vinny with making the right choice on who to hire. It's also smarter that Vinny and Alex do it since that person will be working exclusively with them for most of the year, and only with west when E3 and GOTY type stuff happen.

Dizzy-4U

A little off-topic but is there any torrent or something with a compilation of the old gamespot stuff? Video Reviews, shows, etc?. Going through youtube is not that fun.

I'm feeling a little nostalgic.

Myggen

A little off-topic but is there any torrent or something with a compilation of the old gamespot stuff? Video Reviews, shows, etc?. Going through youtube is not that fun.

I'm feeling a little nostalgic.

I think there should be something like that for the Hotspot episodes with the GB crew here: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/links-for-old-gamespot-hotspot-episodes-with-the-g-1484943/

I've never found something like that for other stuff though. Gamespot has always been absolutely terrible at archiving their old stuff on the site, some of it always gets lost when they do some redesign because of the ancient code they used up until recently. I fear most of that stuff is lost.

Lelcar

Also, Drew needs to play more games if he's going to be doing editorial more and more.

I agree. You can't hate Drew, he's a very talented and likable guy, but yeah, he doesn't play a lot of video games and he doesn't really have an extensive of a history with them either. I wish he was a stronger voice when it comes to debating games, but oh well, he provides some fantastic content for the site.

Dany

Banned
I think there should be something like that for the Hotspot episodes with the GB crew here: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/links-for-old-gamespot-hotspot-episodes-with-the-g-1484943/

I've never found something like that for other stuff though. Gamespot has always been absolutely terrible at archiving their old stuff on the site, some of it always gets lost when they do some redesign because of the ancient code they used up until recently. I fear most of that stuff is lost.

image.php

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Who else can they take from Game Informer?

Dan's dad.
Tim Turi is the best. His ability to play games with non-standard control schemes alone would make him SUPER VALUABLE at GB.

Dizzy-4U

That's pretty good. Thanks.

Heard the news from the last Bombin' and I was legit shook. Thought Patrick would be a lifer but he's still got a glimmer in his eye and perhaps wants to try something a bit different with his proven skill set.

Always respected him for his willingness to try new games to understand them, something that other members aren't willing to try.

I've just emerged from my GOTY isolation chamber to find that the entire world has changed around me. Here are my general reactions to the past 12-ish hours:

- God dammit Tharp, this is all your fault.

- I was playing Shadow of Mordor while listening to the final deliberations and I really cannot disagree with their decision. Game is just too much fun.

- See ya around, Scoops. Come visit Champaign sometime pls

- Sooo, Cara Ellison? Cara Ellison. Please.

- TROY FUCKING BAKER. I audibly gasped.

- Okay the Lockdown at the end just secured these as their best GOTY videos ever.

I agree. You can't hate Drew, he's a very talented and likable guy, but yeah, he doesn't play a lot of video games and he doesn't really have an extensive of a history with them either. I wish he was a stronger voice when it comes to debating games, but oh well, he provides some fantastic content for the site.

Hey, he fought for (Worst Game Spoiler)
Ghostship
to be chosen. Sure he may not have argued for other games, but he cares about consumers. To fight for that game to win Worst Game.

Renpatsu

Hey, he fought for (Worst Game Spoiler)
Ghostship
to be chosen. Sure he may not have argued for other games, but he cares about consumers. To fight for that game to win Worst Game.
When Drew has been wronged he must seek retribution.
Ghostship and Halo: MCC are case in point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom