• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have a application up for Patricks replacement already?

Is it for SF or NY?

Kind of hope the GBE gets to pick up another staffer. I think having another person there would really open up the stuff they do.

Anyway hope the internet can keep it classy when they announce the next hire. The stuff around Dan and Jason was damn right embarrassing.

To hell with that. I wanna see Twitter collapse in on itself. Burn it all down.

I think the backlash against people suggesting Giant Bomb solely employing white males was the embarrassing thing. That was the thing Jeff wrote his letter over after all.

I think both sides came across like the worst internet stereotypes. Jeff obviously had to put the bad seeds in the GB community in their place though.

No matter who they hire now, someone will try start more shit because of what sex they are so I hope they are planning a head for that this time.

Jintor

I don't mind people saying that GB should make hiring decisions based on personality and whatever because fuck it, man, Dan and Jason were fucking awesome hires, but actively trying to position themselves like 'why consider race and gender at allllll isn't thaaaaaat the reaaaal discrimination' really pisses me off

Bacon

I think both sides came across like the worst internet stereotypes. Jeff obviously had to put the bad seeds in the GB community in their place though.

No matter who they hire now, someone will try start more shit because of what sex they are so I hope they are planning a head for that this time.

I'm not really sure what they can do to combat it. The Internet is gonna be the Internet and there is going to be outrage pretty much no matter how they handle it.

danm999

New hires are always going to be a minefield for a personality driven website regardless of the context.

I'm really not convinced. One side was "Isn't it a little weird that they've only hired white males; keeping everything else in mind and that it's still an awesome site." and the other side threw the huge fit that cause Jeff to write the letter.

With that said I don't think the new hire will go down any worst than their last ones no matter what gender they were.

I'm really not convinced. One side was "Isn't it a little weird that they've only hired white males; keeping everything else in mind and that it's still an awesome site." and the other side threw the huge fit that cause Jeff to write the letter.

With that said I don't think the new hire will go down any worst than their last ones no matter what gender they were.

I dunno the stuff I was seeing on twitter was a lot more vitriolic than ""Isn't it a little weird that they've only hired white males; keeping everything else in mind and that it's still an awesome site."", but I'm sure whoever they have in mind will be a great fit. Jeff has proven he knows how to run the site well.

How quickly you all have forgotten about the "Hire Jeff Green" movement. There was some pure comedy gold on his stream tonight.
I really think he would be great.

Zodiac Motherfucker/Giant Bomb beef 2014! Woooo! Zodiac and Ryckert in the ring 12/31/14 11:59PM BE THERE

Rcdpqw6.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yeah maybe... But that's would be kinda weak reason still.
Look at how much shit they still get for Dan/Jason hires and the ensuing frenzy with a potential East Ciast Editor. They'd be inviting a shitstorm if they were in any way aligned with someone who is supportive of #gamersgate

santeesioux

It's almost 2015 and we're still seeing Gamergate stuff. That sets a bad precedence though, i don't want to say i dislike Kotaku and be labeled a goobergarter.

So there's a whole Storify of that guy's tweets along those lines. A large chunk of it involves him insulting game journalists and writers and reviewers and so on. So I figure his exclusion is understandable, warranted, and necessary.

santeesioux

So there's a whole Storify of that guy's tweets along those lines. A large chunk of it involves him insulting game journalists and writers and reviewers and so on. So I figure his exclusion is understandable, warranted, and necessary.

Disregard what i said above then, lol. Sounds like he did a lot more to be labeled as such.

Rainmaker

Banned
I'll gladly take Bakoon, Stardust, and everyone else that did GOTY lists this year over that gimmick that's ran it's course. I was actually hoping they weren't going to use him again this year.

danm999

Yikes, kind wished I hadn't gone down that rabbit hole....

But yeah, if that's actually the reason (it might not be after all) it isn't "strange" that the group of people you spent a good portion of the year shitting on aren't returning your calls now.

Indignate

Knew that Patrick would leave.

Didn't think it was going to happen right at the beginning of the year though. I had him pegged for at least another 6 months.

Yikes, kind wished I hadn't gone down that rabbit hole....

But yeah, if that's actually the reason (it might not be after all) it isn't "strange" that the group of people you spent a good portion of the year shitting on aren't returning your calls now.

Hahaha damn he went all-in. I was expecting like one or two side-jokes.

No one ever explained to me what Zodiac Motherfuckers story was. I assumed it was someones drinking buddy

Knew that Patrick would leave.

Didn't think it was going to happen right at the beginning of the year though. I had him pegged for at least another 6 months.

Ever since the move back to Chicago it seemed like it was a matter of time.

Alex would have probably been in the same boat if it wasn't for Vinny moving back to NYC and it creating a bunch new opportunities.

Curious what he does next. I have a few ideas who would be interested but maybe he does freelance editorials for a bit.

Aerobatics

Neo Member
So uh, is there any way to play danger groper without a vita?

I'm totally sold on that game, there's just no possible way I'm going to get a vita in this lifetime.

I'm totally sold on that game, there's just no possible way I'm going to get a vita in this lifetime.

Nah getting a Vita is totally worth it. And by that I mean buying one then staring at it every couple of months wondering why the hell they didn't make more games worth playing on it. I've literally only used it for P4G, Spelunky, and watching TV shows in my bed.

Megasoum

Banned

No I think that's Dan's Grandpa is only on Vita but Patrick was saying that those games often have a historic of coming out on iOS a little while after the original release.

Jintor

Nah getting a Vita is totally worth it. And by that I mean buying one then staring at it every couple of months wondering why the hell they didn't make more games worth playing on it. I've literally only used it for P4G, Spelunky, and watching TV shows in my bed.

And Luftrausers!

And all those PSOne games i missed

and Final Fantasy X and X-2. Eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom