• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
50lM3Yr.png

I love the guy but this tweet is pretty bewildering. Games have so much potential to explore "all the serious, negative stuff in the world." Take a look at Papers Please, or This War of Mine. There are so many experiences I've had in games that aren't traditionally "fun" but are still memorable and recommendable. I dunno why I'm saying this, maybe I just feel like Dan would've been able to recognize that.

Hell, I'd go as far as saying if games really were supposed to be all about escapism and developers followed that ideal, we wouldn't have Metal Gear.

50lM3Yr.png

I love the guy but this tweet is pretty bewildering. Games have so much potential to explore "all the serious, negative stuff in the world." Take a look at Papers Please, or This War of Mine. There are so many experiences I've had in games that aren't traditionally "fun" but are still memorable and recommendable. I dunno why I'm saying this, maybe I just feel like Dan would've been able to recognize that.

Hell, I'd go as far as saying if games really were supposed to be all about escapism and developers followed that ideal, we wouldn't have Metal Gear.

I think he knows that, he loved the Last of Us which is not a game you play to have fun and escape with. I think you're reading a bit too much into it, there's limitations on twitter so you gotta paraphrase.

Myggen

50lM3Yr.png

The dude loved TLoU and other serious games. I think you're reading that wrong.

50lM3Yr.png

Why should serious subjects preclude having fun in a game? It hasn't stopped This War of Mine and Papers Please from being a blast, even though they're designed from top to bottom to tackle very grim realities.

Dan's on the right track.

Why should serious subjects preclude having fun in a game? It hasn't stopped This War of Mine and Papers Please from being a blast, even though they're designed from top to bottom to tackle very grim realities.

Dan's on the right track.

I haven't heard anyone say they've been having fun playing those two games?

i feel you

but bruh

sunset overdrive was the best game this year

repeating something: There should be a series where Dan has to play "serious" games (ie Pathologic, Cart Life, Papers Please, This War of Mine, etc.) and then talk/write how he feels about them

repeating something: There should be a series where Dan has to play "serious" games (ie Pathologic, Cart Life, Papers Please, This War of Mine, etc.) and then talk/write how he feels about them

"That was dumb!" - Dan Ryckert of the future

I mean if a game that got a 3/5 got into the top 10, shit how does that make that rest of the year look.
The problem is most of GB had no opinion on the deserving games, having not played them. A lot of the games on their GotY list won by default (with Destiny and Shadow of Mordor chief among them) simply because everyone had played them and thus had something to say about them.

The problem is most of GB had no opinion on the deserving games, having not played them. A lot of the games on their GotY list won by default (with Destiny and Shadow of Mordor chief among them) simply because everyone had played them and thus had something to say about them.

Maybe thats why this years GOTY podcasts felt so weak. It seemed like alot of people just skipped out on stuff.

Hay Guys

Posting from the future (year 2015).. can't hate anyone at this point, things are so fucking great.

Myggen's avatar is the best, as a Finn the only thing I can do is to take some of the flak for them, I hope that's enough

I think PAX south will be really interesting since we'll have someone new handling the guests. I wonder who will take over the responsibility. I don't think it'd be Jeff since he has to plan a lot of other stuff I imagine.

Alright GB GAF, NYE party time, gonna go and do things I'll no doubt regret in the morning.

For all the shit, I still think 2014 has been a blast - we may not appreciate it now, but we're getting to witness the growing pangs of a new medium steadily head towards complete mainstream acceptance.

You're a solid bunch, and I can't wait to see what GB has up its sleave in 2015 with ya. Have a good one.

Bye Zaph! Have a good new years!

Zaph

Alright GB GAF, NYE party time, gonna go and do things I'll no doubt regret in the morning.

For all the shit, I still think 2014 has been a blast - we may not appreciate it now, but we're getting to witness the growing pangs of a new medium steadily head towards complete mainstream acceptance.

You're a solid bunch, and I can't wait to see what GB has up its sleave in 2015 with ya. Have a good one.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I think PAX south will be really interesting since we'll have someone new handling the guests. I wonder who will take over the responsibility. I don't think it'd be Jeff since he has to plan a lot of other stuff I imagine.

Jeff mentioned Alex as having curated the contributors to the Top 10 lists. Could be him

"I just want to say thanks to everyone who contributed to our guest lists this year, and thanks again to Alex for corralling it all."

Maybe thats why this years GOTY podcasts felt so weak. It seemed like alot of people just skipped out on stuff.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. (Not that I can recall previous GotY podcasts.)

It's also understandable, because this was both the year of the RPG (so many) and also the Year of Very Long Games (Divinity: Original Sin, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, etc). It's such a shame that most of them focused on the worst of the three long'uns.

And Brad's horrible defense of Destiny was killing me during the GotY podcast He was parroting the Bungie PR: "Play for 30 hours... no, wait, play the raid... no, wait, play the expansion... no, wait, please play more until you understand the magic!"

I think the potential for a "Dan Tries" premium series is incredible - it wouldn't even have to stay in the realm of video games, just outside his comfort zone.
Dan eats at a gourmet restaurant, then follows it up with Taco Bell. Which was better?

Fuck it, they should just hire Justin McElroy to play FMV games with Vinny for the rest of time.

GB hiring the McElroys has been my pipe dream since the call was put out for Dan's position, but weren't they founding members of Polygon, not just employees of it?

Phediuk

What are the oddest 4 or 5-star reviews, in retrospect?

I think Assassin's Creed 3 getting 4 stars might be up there. Initial impressions on the Bombcast were mostly positive, with a few reservations. But then it went on to win Most Disappointing Game and has since been seen as utter garbage by everyone on the staff. Even Ryan had turned on it not long after he wrote the review.

Also, XCOM winning GOTY for 2012 is kind of weird in retrospect because none of the guys have had any lasting love for that game. They barely even mentioned the expansion.

Also, XCOM winning GOTY for 2012 is kind of weird in retrospect because none of the guys have had any lasting love for that game. They barely even mentioned the expansion.

What? They adored XCOM the entire year. It was all they talked about for weeks in the podcast.

Bouncing off the expansion pack is not the same as disliking main game itself. The GotY win was totally deserved.

Xeteh

What? They adored XCOM the entire year. It was all they talked about for weeks in the podcast.

Bouncing off the expansion pack is not the same as disliking main game itself. The GotY win was totally deserved.

And Patrick said many times that XCOM is the reason he decided to play games like Fire Emblem and Divinity because it opened his eyes to the turn based games.

And Patrick said many times that XCOM is the reason he decided to play games like Fire Emblem and Divinity because it opened his eyes to the turn based games.

He means after, which is kind of true. XCOM barely got any talk in 2013, IIRC, the expansion didn't even get a QL because they thought it "didn't add much" (which is... questionable), and Patrick actually pointed out how he was seemingly the only one to be more open to turn based strategy games afterwards (the context being nobody else in early 2013 being interested in Fire Emblem but him).

EDIT: nvm, there was a QL! I can't remember why I thought there wasn't. They seemed lukewarm or disinterested in it and my brain exaggerated that I guess. Whoops.

He means after, which is kind of true. XCOM barely got any talk in 2013, IIRC, the expansion didn't even get a QL because they thought it "didn't add much" (which is... questionable), and Patrick actually pointed out how he was seemingly the only one to be more open to turn based strategy games afterwards (the context being nobody else in early 2013 being interested in Fire Emblem but him).

Well, I mean, aside from recurring franchises and in-jokes like Brothers how often do they ever talk about last year's games?

The main editorial staff get swept up in current releases in their frenzy to keep current.

Xeteh

EDIT: nvm, there was a QL! I can't remember why I thought there wasn't. They seemed lukewarm or disinterested in it and my brain exaggerated that I guess. Whoops.

I'm with LurkerPrime, I feel like they rarely mention last year's GOTY much unless they're talking about an upcoming/current sequel. And considering how really none of the GB people tend to really revisit games it shouldn't be too surprising.

Cranzor

What are the oddest 4 or 5-star reviews, in retrospect?

I think Assassin's Creed 3 getting 4 stars might be up there. Initial impressions on the Bombcast were mostly positive, with a few reservations. But then it went on to win Most Disappointing Game and has since been seen as utter garbage by everyone on the staff. Even Ryan had turned on it not long after he wrote the review.

Brad giving Metroid: Other M 4 stars may be strange in retrospect to some. As much as people hate it, I didn't think it was that bad (although I didn't play very much of it).

Lelcar

Dota 2 will go for the triple on his GOTY list in 2015.

He stopped playing Dota 2 because of Destiny and if that can't even take #1 then nothing can!

But who knows? He might just get bored with Dota 2 one day. It happens when you least expect it, man, you never see it coming. Something clicks and you just fall out of love.

He stopped playing Dota 2 because of Destiny and if that can't even take #1 then nothing can!

But who knows? He might just get bored with Dota 2 one day. It happens when you least expect it, man, you never see it coming. Something clicks and you just fall out of love.
once youre deep in man theres no way out

youre there forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom