• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenden

Banned
Funny thing is, with no context that scene it makes the creator (chef in this instance) look like a child who can't take criticism.

That's actually the low point for the character. He realizes the food he was forced to make for his restaurant's owner was as bad and uninspired as the critic suggested.

He leaves that gig, starts a food truck, and finds his joy of creation again. And then the critic funds a new restaurant start-up with him.

So, probably not the best metaphor.

Megasoum

Banned
I read that one dude gave like 20 thousand dollars to that game and ended selling his house or something like that, it's probably a lie but with all the money they have raised so far it makes seem legit. I still can't believe star citizen has raised so much money, part of me believes it's a money laundering operation for the Irish mafia.

I've seen MULTIPLE people take up a second mortgage on their homes to "invest" in Project CARS.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently there are people who have spent more than 40k on Star Citizen.
From what I understand you buy ships for a lifetime and if you want all of them it adds up to insane amounts of money.

Megasoum

Banned
That's insane.

I guess the difference with pCars is that, unlike a kickstarter or StarCitizen is that you can actually make some money back. Everybody who invested in the project will get a share of the profits... I don't really expect to get anything back from my 60$ I spent 3 years ago but those guys hope to make big bucks.

It's fucking stupid and ridiculous if you ask me but whatever.

MEANWHILE, DAN RYCKERT RISKS IT ALL

B6S5qmLCMAA3yPD.jpg

Ranch with his fries? Good man.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I guess the difference with pCars is that, unlike a kickstarter or StarCitizen is that you can actually make some money back. Everybody who invested in the project will get a share of the profits... I don't really expect to get anything back from my 60$ I spent 3 years ago but those guys hope to make big bucks.

It's fucking stupid and ridiculous if you ask me but whatever.

How do these suckers plan to make off Star Citizen? How does that shit even work?

I've seen MULTIPLE people take up a second mortgage on their homes to "invest" in Project CARS.

That is some crazy ass shit.....let me guess they live alone and have plenty of disposable income right? Because if they have a family.....ugh.

Megasoum

Banned
How do these suckers plan to make off Star Citizen? How does that shit even work?

That is some crazy ass shit.....let me guess they live alone and have plenty of disposable income right? Because if they have a family.....ugh.

Nah, at least one I can remember had a wife..not sure about kids but he had a second mortgage and all the money they had saved up put in pCARS.

popo

I love that, usually when someone takes a twitter swipe at GB then the defence force comes out in full force - but this time everyone is all like "fucking Jaffe, what a tool".

Zaph

seems to be a running trend through all of the dudes who got dropped for GOTY lists

no marks for spotting what it is
Wait, I could be reading this completely wrong (missed a lot of news in 2014), but Jaffe came down on that side of gg? Christ, I've always liked him in that loveable arsehole outspoken dev kinda way, similar to Phil Fish, but I thought he'd have more sense than that.

Scam Citizen
B6SDaKACcAA6Aj5.jpg

Kind of interested to see what a openly capitalist sandbox MMO would look like without sub fees. After all, aren't the big ships in EVE similarly priced except they're obfuscated behind Plex?

That said, there's no way in hell I'm spending a penny on that game until they've demonstrated they can deliver on their very, very lofty goals.

Myggen

Wait, I could be reading this completely wrong (missed a lot of news in 2014), but Jaffe came down on that side of gg? Christ, I've always liked him in that loveable arsehole outspoken dev kinda way, similar to Phil Fish, but I thought he'd have more sense than that.

Nah, Jaffe is not a Gamergator. He distanced himself from that shit pretty early on when he saw what it really was, and came out hard against it in a recent interview.

tchocky

Nah, Jaffe is not a Gamergator. He distanced himself from that shit pretty early on when he saw what it really was, and came out hard against it in a recent interview.

He distanced himself but every now and then he will retweet a gamergater criticising someone he doesn't like such as this which can give the impression he is a supporter of that "movement".

Myggen

Hahaha. Nice avatar, Myggen.

Oh wow, haha.

He distanced himself but every now and then he will retweet a gamergater criticising someone he doesn't like such as this which can give the impression he is a supporter of that "movement".

Yeah, no doubt. IIRC he has always kinda hated Kotaku too, so he was on that hate train when GG was just starting. Retweeting something like that seems kinda tone deaf though.

Oh no! I just meant they both don't have a fucking clue when to shut up

tchocky

Yeah, no doubt. IIRC he has always kinda hated Kotaku too, so he was on that hate train when GG was just starting. Retweeting something like that seems kinda tone deaf though.

He hates Kotaku because Patricia Hernandez called him a misogynist over some twitter comments he made and he hates Leigh Alexander because she wrote a gamasutra article criticising Twisted Metal and ttelling its devs to grow up, immature or something like that. So Gamergate was something that appealed to him initially.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Terrible is such an incredibly harsh word to use for a game as charming as Lovely Planet. I have a hard time seeing that as not hyperbolic.

Patrick's been building his own brand for some time now, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts his own thing or goes to Polygon with an emphasis on Social Justice issues.

Jaffe is just mad because his game has no styyyyyle.

That and the collective disappointed sigh the entire gaming audience had at his new game has him a little on edge.

hamchan

Do we think Patrick is even still doing something related to games reporting? Because Giant Bomb seems like the best place for that, where you can do nearly anything you want and get paid for it. It has to be something pretty different for him to leave.

Myggen

Patrick's been building his own brand for some time now, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts his own thing or goes to Polygon with an emphasis on Social Justice issues.

He's not going independent, he confirmed as much on GAF, same with Polygon. I doubt it'll be Kotaku since Jason Schreier just got promoted to Senior news editor over there. So who knows.

Do we think Patrick is even still doing something related to games reporting? Because Giant Bomb seems like the best place for that, where you can do nearly anything you want and get paid for it. It has to be something pretty different for him to leave.

He's said that he's not leaving editorial, so he's probably still gonna work in games journalism.

FluxWaveZ

Has anyone in this fine thread compiled a best of 2014 quicklook/etc list?

There were a ton of QLs this year, but here's an impromptu top 10 list:
  1. Quick Look: Velvet Sundown
  2. Quick Look: D4
  3. Quick Look: Putty Squad
  4. Quick Look: Enforcer: Police. Crime. Action.
  5. Quick Look: TMNT Training Lair
  6. Quick Look: Kinect Sports: Rivals
  7. Quick Look: The Fall
  8. Quick Look: Japanese PlayStation 4 Store + Games
  9. Quick Look: Dreamfall Chapters: Book One: Reborn
  10. Quick Look Solo: Silent Hills (P.T.)
Whittling it down from 25 of my favorites to 10 was pretty hard, and these are just the QLs (so it doesn't count great Unfinished ones like Bot Colony or Subscriber videos). I remember about the disappointment from people for how boring the Max: The Curse of Brotherhood QL was compared to the first QL of 2013: Euro Truck Simulator. A favorite was "Quick Look: Hatoful Boyfriend", but I wasn't too into that one. Also, I haven't watched them, but people seemed to like the One Piece: Unlimited World RED and Persona Q QLs. The JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle one is notable, too.

Volotaire

There were a ton of QLs this year, but here's an impromptu top 10 list:
  1. Quick Look: Velvet Sundown
  2. Quick Look: D4
  3. Quick Look: Putty Squad
  4. Quick Look: Enforcer: Police. Crime. Action.
  5. Quick Look: TMNT Training Lair
  6. Quick Look: Kinect Sports: Rivals
  7. Quick Look: The Fall
  8. Quick Look: Japanese PlayStation 4 Store + Games
  9. Quick Look: Dreamfall Chapters: Book One: Reborn
  10. Quick Look Solo: Silent Hills (P.T.)
Whittling it down from 25 of my favorites to 10 was pretty hard, and these are just the QLs (so it doesn't count great Unfinished ones like Bot Colony or Subscriber videos). I remember about the disappointment from people for how boring the Max: The Curse of Brotherhood QL was compared to the first QL of 2013: Euro Truck Simulator. A favorite was "Quick Look: Hatoful Boyfriend", but I wasn't too into that one. Also, I haven't watched them, but people seemed to like the One Piece: Unlimited World RED and Persona Q QLs. The JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle is a notable one, too.

Danny's Hatoful boyfriend playthroughs were far superior to GB's quicklook. The One Piece one was fun. That reminds me, I still need to try that crazy game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom