• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

Do we think Patrick is even still doing something related to games reporting? Because Giant Bomb seems like the best place for that, where you can do nearly anything you want and get paid for it. It has to be something pretty different for him to leave.

Is it a possibility that he was let go? It didn't really seem like he was brining much to the site out in Chicago compared to when he was in San Fran plus it's no question that an added body in New York is going to help that office a bunch.

Myggen

Is it a possibility that he was let go? It didn't really seem like he was brining much to the site out in Chicago compared to when he was in San Fran plus it's no question that an added body in New York is going to help that office a bunch.

Nah, I see no reason for that to be true tbh.

Das Ace

Patrick offered to leave when he moved to Chi-town and Jeff said he was fine with him staying on. It would be weird to retract that a year later, but not impossible I 'spose.

I don't think I could do an ordered or limited to 25 list just a "best of 2014" list.. being that i became a father late last year i missed out on a lot of stuff since i didn't have the chance to watch stuff as much. If I had free time i spent it playing games or doing other things. I rarely have time to just sit and watch an hour quicklook anymore, lol.

Zornack

Yeah, it's doubtful but the only reason I bring it up is because it seems crazy to me to leave GB for another job in the games journalism business. There is of course the high chance that he'll pursue a career in journalism outside of video games. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Nah, I see no reason for that to be true tbh.

I know there was a limited amount of content coming from GB Chicago for the last few months but when he first moved it seemed like he was putting up a lot of videos.

I don't think he was let go but I think they probably said that they would be moving towards the New York office rather than a Chicago one and given time to get his next move in order.

Makes sense that there would be less content during that time.

Do we think Patrick is even still doing something related to games reporting? Because Giant Bomb seems like the best place for that, where you can do nearly anything you want and get paid for it. It has to be something pretty different for him to leave.

Is Giant Bomb best for games reporting? I highly doubt the articles generate any appreciable amount of traffic.

Das Ace

Yeah, I remember Patrick saying he would have dropped out of the game journo scene entirely if he hadn't landed at Giant Bomb.

What ever he has lined up must be pretty good.

Ein Bear

Yeah, it's doubtful but the only reason I bring it up is because it seems crazy to me to leave GB for another job in the games journalism business. There is of course the high chance that he'll pursue a career in journalism outside of video games. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

As crazy as leaving GB for another, similar, industry-job sounds to me, I could see it being the case just as a logistic problem. Being out on his own, away from the rest of the crew, must have sucked a bit. It's not the same as if he were leaving the SF office.

popo

The only reason I can see Patrick leaving GB for another VG writing gig is if he gets to work with actual people day to day - that working from home thing has to have been a major drag. Not sure what that would be in Chicago though. Unless CBS just wasn't willing to fund that CAH studio while it was doing the same in NY. Maybe another pub will. sounds like we will find out tomorrow.

---------------------

In other GB bashing news. One of the disgruntled applicants for Dan's job - who, tellingly I had never heard of until that thing blew up - wrote a new year blog post that included gems such as

But if an over-qualified slim, cisgender, white, natural-blonde, blue-eyed girl who totally recovered from her past acne years can’t get a job at Giant Bomb … then, honestly, who can? Honestly. Honestly!
and

They worry me because I know that someday, somehow, Giant Bomb is going to hire a woman and she’s going to have a miserable time of it. And I don’t know if Giant Bomb cares about that.

I feel sympathy for her. Most of us have, at some time or another, done the rounds of applying for jobs and getting nothing but rejections. Not sure holding on to that grudge for 6 months is doing her any favours though.

I am not going to link to the post as I don't want to start a dogpile - anyone who really wants to read it can google from those quotes easily enough.

Patrick seemed to me to be quite ambitious. He also has a different way to deal with controversies, and after the events of recents dramas in twitter, I feel that he was in conflict with some GB ideology. And moving from Chicago and only interacting with Cards Against... Guy and Alex by Skype probably make him feel less attached.

In any case, he has the potential to do great things on his own, and I can admit that even when I wasn't his biggest fan.

Patrick offered to leave when he moved to Chi-town and Jeff said he was fine with him staying on. It would be weird to retract that a year later, but not impossible I 'spose.

Maybe someone at CBSi management finally asked why that dude with the hair hasnt been in the office recently.

But the more I think about it I think he will end up at a mainstream outlet as the Video games reporter. Its the logical step up.

Myggen

Oof, I'm not a fan of bringing up articles like that here. Can really not lead to anything positive. Not trying to backseat mod or anything, just stating an opinion :)

We know the following

-Still Games Journalism
-Still Podcasting
-Still streaming horror games
-Not Polygon
-Not going independent (no patreon)
-Has a new Employer
-Working out of CAH offices

My guess: Chicago Tribune is starting a games section, with editor in chief Patrick Klepek

Except for that whole CAH office thing

Zornack

Well, now that I think about it, Patrick has had plans to be working out of the new CAH office for months, and that office is just now coming together. It also looks like he had been planning to leave Giant Bomb for quite awhile too, so I'd think that whatever he has lined up is something that he can do out of the CAH office.

We know the following

-Still Games Journalism
-Still Podcasting

Has he said that? Weird, I have no clue where he might end up.

hamchan

We know the following

-Still Games Journalism
-Still Podcasting
-Still streaming horror games
-Not Polygon
-Not going independent (no patreon)
-Has a new Employer
-Working out of CAH offices

My guess: Chicago Tribune is starting a games section, with editor in chief Patrick Klepek

Except for that whole CAH office thing

Max Temkin staring a new video games website that's all about the personalities, with regular quick looks and live shows. Giant Bong here we come.

sneaky77

I don't think so, I read a quote by Jeff thanking Patrick's new employer for letting him participate in the goty stuff or being patient or something to that effect.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Oof, I'm not a fan of bringing up articles like that here. Can really not lead to anything positive. Not trying to backseat mod or anything, just stating an opinion :)
I agree, it gets awful in here whenever things like this pops up.

Back to Patrick and his rebooting of AnimeVice.

Tamanon

Banned
The only reason I can see Patrick leaving GB for another VG writing gig is if he gets to work with actual people day to day - that working from home thing has to have been a major drag. Not sure what that would be in Chicago though. Unless CBS just wasn't willing to fund that CAH studio while it was doing the same in NY. Maybe another pub will. sounds like we will find out tomorrow.

---------------------

In other GB bashing news. One of the disgruntled applicants for Dan's job - who, tellingly I had never heard of until that thing blew up - wrote a new year blog post that included gems such as

and

I feel sympathy for her. Most of us have, at some time or another, done the rounds of applying for jobs and getting nothing but rejections. Not sure holding on to that grudge for 6 months is doing her any favours though.

I am not going to link to the post as I don't want to start a dogpile - anyone who really wants to read it can google from those quotes easily enough.

Eh, I'd have more sympathy if Dan and Jason weren't such outstanding hires for the site. They're clearly qualified for the job.

popo

*shrug* I did wonder myself, that is why I didn't link it or even provide a name. At some point though, if someone writes a lengthy blog post it is fair game for discussion.

Also it doesn't really bash GB. It is more of a "life is unfair, why not me!" post - so I thought we could handle it in a reasonable manner.

Or he simply got a better paying job. People leave good jobs all the time for greater financial rewards all the time,

danm999

Jaffe's latest salty outburst posted?

Brs5smb.png

R8byk4A.png

Assuming he won't be on the E3 podcasts this year.

Did....did Jaffe see that movie last year and still think that clip was appropriate?

It's not a cathartic moment where the creative protagonist gets one over on a stuffed shirt in the name of creative expression.

It's a sad moment where a frustrated and mismanaged man has his reputation destroyed by a public emotional outburst and has to change jobs as a result.

Or is this some sort of meta commentary I'm missing?

Zaph

I bet it was a mutual decision. Jeff's talked a lot over the last year about having to justify hires and budget and seemingly taking a more active role in the growth and active monetisation of GB. Given the nature of the content GB predomiently trades in, having a quarter of their editorial on his own in the middle of nowhere probably got increasingly difficult to justify and to find ways of generating meaningful content matching in style/tone - especially if Jeff is trying to win over more faith in the site from the higher ups. I imagine getting the space and budget for a new studio in NY was probably a lot easier too if it housed a larger portion of the crew.

Pure speculation, but I imagine that answer would have been different had he moved after Ryan's passing or if Jeff knew it would be so long before he could rehire. 2013/early 2014 had some massive content droughts where the effects of the lopsided nature to GB's editor distribution became very apparent and their youtube channel looked like it belonged to a college student with 300 subscribers.

Is USgamer still a thing?

I could see Patrick going there.

not only is it still a thing, since Jeremy Parrish stepped into his role, they've become the source of some of the best reviews out there. the site's still kind of awkward to navigate, but it's worth it for all that TFrog goodness

Did....did Jaffe see that movie last year and still think that clip was appropriate?

It's not a cathartic moment where the creative protagonist gets one over on a stuffed shirt in the name of creative expression.

It's a sad moment where a frustrated and mismanaged man has his reputation destroyed by a public emotional outburst and has to change jobs as a result.

Or is this some sort of meta commentary I'm missing?

Well, people still use the Citizen Kane applauding gif as celebratory even when the context (that is obvious if you ask me) is a sarcastic clap.

Where's that whole Chicago Tribune thing coming from?

I just made it up out of thin air.

My new guess is Gamasutra. Also pulled out of thin air.

I literally just went full-on creeper, looking through everyone that Patrick followed to see if there were any companies that seemed plausible.

He doesn't follow a lot of websites, doesn't follow Chicago Tribune. He follows the New York Tribune, HitFix, and SBNation.

Oh well, we'll find it tomorrow.

I just made it up out of thin air.

My new guess is Gamasutra. Also pulled out of thin air.

I literally just went full-on creeper, looking through everyone that Patrick followed to see if there were any companies that seemed plausible.

He doesn't follow a lot of websites, doesn't follow Chicago Tribune. He follows the New York Tribune, HitFix, and SBNation.

Oh well, we'll find it tomorrow.

Grantland.

The same Grantland that got into shit a year ago because they accidentally outed a trans woman who then killed herself? Yeaaaaaah no

This is like saying, "The same New York Times that didn't properly investigate the Bush adminstration's reasons for invading Iraq? Nooooo" You'd have to be pretty stupid to disregard a publication because of one story by one writer. Grantland is an institution. Do you think Patrick would turn down heading up a video game initiative at Rolling Stone just because one of their writers fucked up the U-VA rape story?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom