• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Did the GB crew shit on Jaffe's shitty-looking game or something?

MEANWHILE, DAN RYCKERT RISKS IT ALL

B6S5qmLCMAA3yPD.jpg

MURICA

So all this talk about Justin McElroy made me realize I never heard his third Sherlock tale so I watched some 2014 E3 stuff and now I'm unreasonably excited for Dan to be on E3 stuff.

Zaph

Opie and Anthony used to be like a real live version of a Rockstar radio talk show, it was the best thing ever when i was 15.
The Black Phillip Show is probably the most morally objectionable thing I've ever enjoyed. God damn that show was so funny and wrong.

The URL to the GB game of the year content is terrible. http://www.giantbomb.com/game-of-the-year. It only fills it up with the latest content. Hoping they improve the site significantly in 2015 too.
The site needs so much love. You know something's wrong when there are so many fan made services and addons designed to surface content better than the site can.

Volotaire

So all this talk about Justin McElroy made me realize I never heard his third Sherlock tale so I watched some 2014 E3 stuff and now I'm unreasonably excited for Dan to be on E3 stuff.

Oh that will be intense. I think Dan was on the E3 2013 podcasts with the Tumblr story. It's a shame they lost Patrick. He did an excellent job with the guests and show lineups regardless of the balance of the lineups and some of the guests. 2014's E3 lineup and podcast was incredible.

Megasoum

Banned
The Black Phillip Show is probably the morally objectionable thing I've ever enjoyed. God damn that show was so funny and wrong.

The site needs so much love. You know something's wrong when there are so many fan made services and addons designed to surface content better than the site can.

Yup, the site has always been terrible at surfacing content.

Now that both Dave and Alexis are gone, I hope the next designer hire will do a proper re-design.

Volotaire

I also hope with the rise of two large offices, they do crazy GBEast/West livestreams and video content with each other for UPF or a new show. Even competition between them would be interesting.

Curufinwe

In other GB bashing news. One of the disgruntled applicants for Dan's job - who, tellingly I had never heard of until that thing blew up - wrote a new year blog post that included gems such as

and

I feel sympathy for her. Most of us have, at some time or another, done the rounds of applying for jobs and getting nothing but rejections. Not sure holding on to that grudge for 6 months is doing her any favours though.

I am not going to link to the post as I don't want to start a dogpile - anyone who really wants to read it can google from those quotes easily enough.

Compared to Dan and his ridiculously extensive history of videos, reviews and podcasts, she wasn't over qualified. But somehow her and her friend got that idea she was entitled to the job. Bitterly predicting that any woman hired by GB will be miserable just because she wasn't hired there is just sad.

Oh that will be intense. I think Dan was on the E3 2013 podcasts with the Tumblr story. It's a shame they lost Patrick. He did an excellent job with the guests and show lineups regardless of the balance of the lineups and some of the guests. 2014's E3 lineup and podcast was incredible.

He was on with the tumblr story and he was fantastic. I know the main personalities generally take a backseat to the guests during E3 but I'm still looking forward to it.

Would you happen to have a link for that?

Here's the video of his 2014 one, he starts at around 23:00 in.

Here's an audio compilation of all his sherlock stories.

Megasoum

Banned
Honestly I'm not quite sure why they are hiring another news editor... GB never was about news and there's never really been any news on the site either, even when Patrick was there.

I mean...What big news happened on the site except for the DRM thing? And even that... They were all saying the exact opposite of the news until the day of ("MS will never change, Sony will follow, etc etc) and even on the day of the news, GB wasn't the first site breaking it.

Anyway... Not saying that Patrick's output for the site wasn't good, on the contrary, I think he did a lot of amazing stuff... Just that nobody goes to GB for their gaming news and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Where is DTOID recorded i.e. state and city in the US? Also, doesn't he do another podcast too?

SF

So... Max scoville just left dtoid.

Hmmmm....

Well, for one, people already pointed out he just bought a new house in SF when the job is in NY. And two, Jeff said he wanted to do interviews before the break but was just too busy, so they obviously haven't hired anyone yet.

Zaph

Honestly I'm not quite sure why they are hiring another news editor... GB never was about news and there's never really been any news on the site either, even when Patrick was there.

I mean...What big news happened on the site except for the DRM thing? And even that... They were all saying the exact opposite of the news until the day of ("MS will never change, Sony will follow, etc etc) and even on the day of the news, GB wasn't the first site breaking it.

Anyway... Not saying that Patrick's output for the site wasn't good, on the contrary, I think he did a lot of amazing stuff... Just that nobody goes to GB for their gaming news and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
I read the job posting as "regular GB on-camera personality, but you'll also be writing up all the major news we can't ignore". I don't think any intelligent person would apply to GB thinking most of their time will be spent writing, regardless of what the weirdly written job description says. The senior thing filters out all the hundreds of nutters in the community who think they have a chance. Or freelancers who think working in the industry for 5 minutes entitles you to one of the most sought-after jobs.

Every editor on GB has an alternate role (Jeff - runs the site, Brad - podcast/publishers, Alex - goty/guest relations, Dan - makes dreams come true), so the new guy will be the person who also posts articles.

danm999

SF

Just spit balling, but maybe they need to sell the hire a certain way to CBSi.

ajcacio

Banned
I think it'll be Russ Frushtick. Dude left Polygon recently, lives in NY, and did that CNET podcast with Vinny and Alex. Although I'd welcome any sort of female/minority voice as well.

Myggen

I think it'll be Russ Frushtick. Dude left Polygon recently, lives in NY, and did that CNET podcast with Vinny and Alex. Although I'd welcome any sort of female/minority voice as well.

I'm not a big fan of Russ, so hope not! He's been on that CNET podcast before, so it's more that he has a relationship with the host of that podcast than anything else.

Just spit balling, but maybe they need to sell the hire a certain way to CBSi.

Probably. In fact, I'm guessing that Jeff or whoever put that listing up already has someone in mind, and tailored that list to the potential hire that he has in mind. Of course there has to be documentation, thus the qualification list. Everyone agrees that when Dan and Jason were hired, the whole application process was just a 'show'. Why is this time any different?

It's just a show. They know who they're hiring.

Does Bloomberg do any video game stuff? I just ask because Josh Topolsky formerly of The Verge, Engadget, etc, leads their digital stuff now. I know he was looking for a variety of writers recently.
Edit: for Patrick I mean.

Probably. In fact, I'm guessing that Jeff or whoever put that listing up already has someone in mind, and tailored that list to the potential hire that he has in mind. Of course there has to be documentation, thus the qualification list. Everyone agrees that when Dan and Jason were hired, the whole application process was just a 'show'. Why is this time any different?

It's just a show. They know who they're hiring.

It's better that way as well. Even though applicants got upset about it, Jeff knows what type of person they need. It's much easier for him to know that a person will fit right in when they're not a stranger. For example if he had hired that person who wrote the blog post chances are it wouldn't have gone well in the long run. If he has someone in mind then he knows that person will make the site even better, which i'm all for.

It's better that way as well. Even though applicants got upset about it, Jeff knows what type of person they need. It's much easier for him to know that a person will fit right in when they're not a stranger. For example if he had hired that person who wrote the blog post chances are it wouldn't have gone well in the long run. If he has someone in mind then he knows that person will make the site even better, which i'm all for.

Yeah. It's better for that site-I think we all agree Dan and Jason are leagues above of anyone else who complained that day or applied. And they work! They've added freshness to the site.

For Vinny and Alex....they'd have to primarily fit with those 2 more than anyone since they'd be working together. It'll be interesting to see who it is.

And Zaph, that graph is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom