• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZVHFXMg.png

These will never not be funny.

Will M

I'm glad to hear the new hire will be stationed with GBeast. Vinny and Alex are OK but they need someone to mix it up like Dan did.
And they better like stealth games or there will be hell to pay.

erawsd

I'd probably hold a grudge if I got a month of abuse and threats as a result of criticizing a hiring decision.

Also, I think she raises a good point, some parts of the GB community are gonna be really shitty when they hire a women.

If the Patrick leaving thread is any indication, we are headed toward a category 5 shitstorm no matter who gets the job.

I'm glad to hear the new hire will be stationed with GBeast. Vinny and Alex are OK but they need someone to mix it up like Dan did.
And they better like stealth games or there will be hell to pay.

I imagine the worst.

Vinny:And welcome to the new year guys! We hi-
New Hire:We're going to be playing stealth games.
Vinny:Uhh, yeah, we're definitel-
Hire:Vinny I made you a blended drink of stealth. Drink it.
Vinny:I don't feel comfortable doing that, haha, maybe we ca-
Hire:Drink it, Vinny.

Wasn't McElroy, like, a founding member of Polygon? No thanks. Dude's funny sometimes but I wouldn't want him anywhere near GB.

We all make mistakes.

Plus Polygon (and the entire VOX media family of sites for that matter) is clearly going though a rough patch so now would be a perfect time to bail out. Things are only getting worse over there.

Sadly I do not think its gonna happen. I think dude has mentioned that not having to move and working from home was a big part of that job for him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't blame him. As much as I love Giant Bomb, what they do is way easier than making games. So they should be more respectful to game developers, even mediocre ones.

Do you understand how critique works?

It doesn't work by giving developers sympathy points.

I also hope with the rise of two large offices, they do crazy GBEast/West livestreams and video content with each other for UPF or a new show. Even competition between them would be interesting.

I dunno about doing a UPF together because of the 3 hour timezone difference. Maybe bring back TNT and play whatever hit multiplayer game just released together at an earlier time in the day?

CrazyDude

Critique is fine, but being overly crass and cynical isn't.

General rule of thumb: if you wouldn't say it to the person's face, don't say it.

Exactly how are they being crass or cynical? You can say that about anybody who says something negative about another person's work. If you don't have the back bone to face negative criticism than you are in the wrong line of work. Most people would have a hard time saying someone's work is bad to someone's face. So we should avoid saying anything negative about a person's work? You will offend someone no matter what if you rate a game they worked on as bad.

GB is free to say that they think the game looks edgy, and that the gameplay looks boorish. They don't have to be respectful to any game developer, to the point where they'd be afraid to voice that said opinion. It doesn't matter if the developer is mediocre or good, criticism is an open playing field.

Fjordson

I've heard them say basically "it's amazing any games ever come out" a bunch before on the podcast, in regards to how difficult game development can be and all of the potential problems. So I'm sure they get that.

But if they think a game looks shitty...I mean they should say so. That's why people listen, right? To hear their honest opinions.

Though I didn't realize Jaffe was making a new game so I clearly missed the Bombcast episode in question.

CrazyDude

GB is free to say that they think the game looks edgy, and that the gameplay looks boorish. They don't have to be respectful to any game developer, to the point where they'd be afraid to voice that said opinion. It doesn't matter if the developer is mediocre or good, criticism is an open playing field.

They aren't even being disrespectful, they haven't attacking game developers directly. They never said thing like, "Jaffe sure is a tool." Games are not people, they are products.

Toparaman

Banned
Exactly how are they being crass or cynical? You can say that about anybody who says something negative about another person's work. If you don't have the back bone to face negative criticism than you are in the wrong line of work. Most people would have a hard time saying someone's work is bad to someone's face. So we should avoid saying anything negative about a person's work? You will offend someone no matter what if you rate a game they worked on as bad.

I guess so. I'm just saying I don't blame him for being hurt, especially when he's leading the team of people working on the game.

I've heard them say basically "it's amazing any games ever come out" a bunch before on the podcast, in regards to how difficult game development can be and all of the potential problems. So I'm sure they get that.

But if they think a game looks shitty...I mean they should say so. That's why people listen, right? To hear their honest opinions.

Though I didn't realize Jaffe was making a new game so I clearly missed the Bombcast episode in question.

Yeah, and to be fair, Giant Bomb's critique of Drawn to Death wasn't even that harsh. They basically just said it looks juvenile. GB is pretty good about being respectful to game devs. But some professional critics have humongous egos, when they wouldn't even have a job if it weren't for creators putting their blood, sweat, and tears out there for the whole world to see. Jaffe gets shit on all the time, so I don't blame him for cracking occasionally.

Listening back through the best-of... that Terminator 2/3 moment with Dan and Jeff is fantastic.

When Dan says 3 is better than 1 -- that indignation from Jeff. Man.

Fjordson

Holy shit, the Giantbomb compilation is almost 12 hours long. lol

http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2015/01/95-giant-bombcast-2014.html
Oh nice, so glad these are still happening. This guy does a great job with them.

Yeah, and to be fair, Giant Bomb's critique of Drawn to Death wasn't even that harsh. They basically just said it looks juvenile. GB is pretty good about being respectful to game devs. But some professional critics have humongous egos, when they wouldn't even have a job if it weren't for creators putting their blood, sweat, and tears out there for the whole world to see. Jaffe gets shit on all the time, so I don't blame him for cracking occasionally.
I hear ya. I could never be a creative type, I'd get fired for responding to criticism within like a month :lol

After watching the Bomb Squad play Mount Your Friends so much I decided to try it while I had a bunch of my cousins over. If you're not playing in Space mode you're playing it wrong!

Also I think the game gets way funnier when you mute the music and just play the Interstellar soundtrack in a separate window.

fleck0

Also the 'pre-alpha gameplay' footage they were responding to looks really bad.

After watching the Bomb Squad play Mount Your Friends so much I decided to try it while I had a bunch of my cousins over. If you're not playing in Space mode you're playing it wrong!

Also I think the game gets way funnier when you mute the music and just play the Interstellar soundtrack in a separate window.

bennyhilltheme.mp3, you can thank me later.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that episode with Drake was my favourite of the year, probably

Brashnir

Yeah, and to be even more fair, the game's entire aesthetic is quite literally juvenile by (presumably) intent. A teenage metal-head's notebook doodles are obviously going to be juvenile, since said fictitious teenager would be a juvenile.

That said, I think they did the aesthetic disservice with the game they're making out of it. When the trailer first came up, my mind started racing with all the rad 2-D side-scrolling or page-navigating (Comix Zone-like) stuff you could do with that aesthetic and having hand-drawn obstacles and enemies, or maybe something top-down like Calling All Cars, which was a very underrated game. Instead, they made an arena shooter out of it, which would be fine in and of itself, but I don't think that art style translates to a fully-navigable 3D world at all. Everything just looks out of place and wrong.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's insane to me that Patrick's goodbye post isn't on top of the stack.

I guess so. I'm just saying I don't blame him for being hurt, especially when he's leading the team of people working on the game.

A large chunk game developers get the same or worse thrown at them, and the majority don't respond. He isn't some special case and some of the heat he gets is do to his own actions.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Where's that whole Chicago Tribune thing coming from?

I was guessing based on things I've heard Patrick say on old Bombcasts or had written somewhere. Basically, he said GB was the only outlet in gaming press he wanted to work at and if he couldn't go there he was leaving the gaming side of things. This was a vague memory so I could be way off. Judging from that poor recollection my thought was either that he was leaving gaming press altogether or that he was going to a place like the Tribune to cover entertainment media, games or otherwise.

Just a guess, though.

The CAH people starting some kind of site and Patrick being a part of it still sounds the likeliest bet to me, if only because of all that talk and imagery of the CAH studio space in Chicago that he's been a part of. But what do I know!

Jintor

Anyway, for this fighting game select screen I'm thinking about, it's probably more suitable if it's a Windjammers game right? They're not really into fighting games... but windjammers...

Renpatsu

Anyway, for this fighting game select screen I'm thinking about, it's probably more suitable if it's a Windjammers game right? They're not really into fighting games... but windjammers...
There have been some GB Windjammers mashups before. So if it were me I'd go with something that hasn't been represented before.

sixghost

They aren't even being disrespectful, they haven't attacking game developers directly. They never said thing like, "Jaffe sure is a tool." Games are not people, they are products.

Patrick specifically talked shit about Jaffe personally when they were discussing the game. He said something like "Jaffe is like an old guy who thinks he's still cool." I forget if he said more than that.

tchocky

Patrick specifically talked shit about Jaffe personally when they were discussing the game. He said something like "Jaffe is like an old guy who thinks he's still cool." I forget if he said more than that.

I don't get why so many people seem to think Patrick stepped over the line with this comment and you shouldn't criticise devs personally. Movie critics will often insult Michael Bay, music critics will criticise eminem for not growing up why are game devs so special that they can not be criticised even someone like Jaffe who has built most of his fame from his outspoken personality rather than his games, since he hasn't had a significant hit in a decade now.

Comes off as an old guy trying to be cool was the quote. And Jaffe is old enough to not be a part of the special snowflake generation and take that personally.

Jintor

Obviously they need fighting character names and appearances. So far I've locked in:

1. Jeff - Dr Tracksuit
  2. Ryan - Nachoboss
  3. Vinny - Small Businessman
  4. Patrick - Scoops
  5. Drew - Solid Scanlon
  6. Alex - The Wolf
  7. Jason - A.Striker
  8. Dave - Hardcore Dave
  9. Will + Norm - The Testers
  10. Jeff Green - Black Dragon
  11. Luchadeer

I need help with these guys