• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Oh geez really? I feel bad for Patrick now. Kotaku of all places? Wow.
At the very least the tolerable people count on Kotaku is now: 2

Megasoum

Banned
It totally makes sense. He's a much better fit for Kotaku than for GB IMO.

I like what Kotaku has been doing lately... I just wish they would redesign their website. I'm not sure why but I just can't browse the site... The design can't make sense in my head.

Xater

Not really surprised that he ended up at Kotaku. Makes perfect sense for where is working from and that they have been trying to improve their article quality for a while now.

DJRawr

Neo Member
I could be wrong, but isn't major contributor on Giant Bomb to just another byline at content-machine Kotaku a major career downgrade?

I don't know maybe tricky can tell me about cool gifs from GTA

My guess is that the position at GB NY will not be just for news. What i am saying is cara is really joining.

Fjordson

Is Kotaku really still that bad?

Wouldn't doubt it, but I haven't been on the site for a good number of years now.
I mean not as bad as it used to be. Jason Schreirer does great work. But overall it's still pretty bad.

Seems like a downgrade, but I think it makes sense. Writing is a much bigger focus at Kotaku and fits Patrick's strengths more than GB ever did.

Megasoum

Banned
I could be wrong, but isn't major contributor on Giant Bomb to just another byline at content-machine Kotaku a major career downgrade?

Nah... A news reporter going from a site with zero news coverage to a site centered around news and who has been breaking most of the biggest news in the industry for the last couple of years... That's a big upgrade.

Good for him. It seems a bit of a lateral move, but, maybe some better behind the scene benefits. And GB putting a new person in NYC will work out.

Looking forward to him rejoining everyone on a 2015 E3 podcast.

Anjin M

Patrick has been on the outside of Giant Bomb since his move. This is a better writing job for him, and a better move for Giant Bomb to consolidate their employees into two offices instead of three.

Two offices still sucks, but I'd rather that than lose Vinny any day.

Corgi

Banned
naturally klepek joins the site that is even harder to find old articles than giantbomb :p

Wish him luck anyhow. Hope he can get some hot scoops going over there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why didn't he start something himself

Kotuku seems like such an odd choice.

It's way less risky to join an established employer than put everything on yourself. Kotaku is more centered around written news, so it kind of makes sense for him to go there over GB.

tchocky

Kotaku is a perfect for Patrick the users are primarily their for written content, they often publish long form articles and have started experimenting with live streams. They have been improving under Totilo and now with a news team led by Jason and Patrick and great JRPG and music articles by Kirk they should improve even more. They need to get rid of Ashcraft and his awful isn't Asia weird articles.

bigkrev

Does Kotaku do a podcast? I thought he said he would be continuing Podcasting.

Otherwise, this seems like a smart move for Patrick. He gets to dedicate his time to news, which he appears to love, and has a much larger platform for his stories

Kotaku, whether you liked it or not before, is a better place with Scoops on board. I think it's a bit tacky to debate whether it's an upgrade or a downgrade. Regardless of that, it seems like a good fit.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can't wait for Patrick's first "Look at this funny Youtube video" or "Wow! Look at this thing I found on a japanese website" article

DaBuddaDa

I'm not very in tune with what Kotaku is exactly nowadays, but this seems like a strange, lateral move for Patrick. I'm sure he's doing what he feels best, though.

If GB still gets Patrick to show up on GDC/PAX panels, then honestly it'd be like he never left the site, since I never watched Bombin' in the A.M. and Spookin' was always a solo show anyway.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't get the people saying that it's a huge stepdown...

Kotaku is a bigger site and it's centered around news (GB doesn't do news at all)... Patrick is a written journalist. It's a big upgrade for him.

Can't wait for Patrick's first "Look at this funny Youtube video" or "Wow! Look at this thing I found on a japanese website" article

Yeah I can't imagine Patrick ever doing a weekly roundup of miscellaneous web stuff on Giant Bomb dot com, your home for the hottest and most accurate video game news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom