• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

TES games (especially Skyrim) allow for very in-depth modding that is also pretty user-friendly. On Nexusmods Skyrim has over 38,000 different mods, even if 1% of them are nude mods, that's still quite a lot.

That makes sense. The Skyrim modding scene in general is amazing, one of the best of all time. There's a reason Gamespot can STILL post a "top 5 Skyrim mods" article every week. The game has had such a long life because of it, it's still regularly one of the most played single player games on Steam, and sells a lot of copies every time it goes on a Steam sale.

Zaph

Good move.

One site is optimised and monetised for video content. The other for articles. Patrick's work simply has more value at Kotaku. Yeah, they post some bullshit and clickbait, but that allows real journalists like Jason to spend weeks chasing a single story. Totilo looks like a great boss to work for too - dude gives zero fucks when it comes to pissing off publishers.

This is a win/win for both Patrick and his/GB's fans.

Good for him! As much as I enjoy Patrick's content, I think this is better for everyone. Having duders consolidated in 2 locations rather than 3 will only improve the site, and Patrick deserves to have more exposure for his articles than GB, a personality and video focused website, could give him. I'll miss his content, but I think it's a good thing in the long run.

jgminto

The Skyrim modding scene can be fucking weird. There's SO MANY naked mods/mods focussed on sex, more than any other game I can think of (other TES games probably come close). I don't know why that is.

Games are always better with floppy dongs, see Mount Your Friends.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
pJ1Pson.png

more like
xiG3nKG.png

Martal

Neo Member
That new thread smell!

Where's A-Striker, Coldman??????!

edit: Since it's probably not possible to edit posts in closed threads, I'll re-post my Premium content list here:

About that premium content list. The Random PC Game link says that there was a Random PC Game with Heroes 3 and Planescape: Torment? Have those vanisehed somewhere because I can't find them on the site

Myggen

About that premium content list. The Random PC Game link says that there was a Random PC Game with Heroes 3 and Planescape: Torment? Have those vanisehed somewhere because I can't find them on the site

As I say in the list, 1-10 on that list is the actual games they did Random PC Game features of. The rest is that dude's dreams for future Random PC Game videos. I could maybe link to qlcrew.com or something to avoid linking to that list.

Good for him! As much as I enjoy Patrick's content, I think this is better for everyone. Having duders consolidated in 2 locations rather than 3 will only improve the site, and Patrick deserves to have more exposure for his articles than GB, a personality and video focused website, could give him. I'll miss his content, but I think it's a good thing in the long run.

Agreed!

Martal

Neo Member
As I say in the list, 1-10 on that list is the actual games they did Random PC Game features of. The rest is that dude's dreams for future Random PC Game videos. I could maybe link to qlcrew.com or something to avoid linking to that list.

Right. I just noticed that you did say that. My bad, sir.

Dude has some sweet dreams. I concur with most of them.

Zaph

Wow, that Patrick/Kotaku thread is amazing.

So many people genuinely think Kotaku is a worthless site. Sometimes I wonder if gaming even deserves a better press given how unforgiving gamers seem to be when it comes to doing what it takes to fund reporters.

KingKong

So many people genuinely think Kotaku is a worthless site. Sometimes I wonder if gaming even deserves a better press given how unforgiving gamers seem to be when it comes to doing what it takes to fund reporters.

Gawker media has been made fun of for years though. Sure their system works when it comes to making money, but so does Buzzfeeds

Myggen

Kotaku has been hated by many on GAF for years now, so that's not surprising. As I said I don't really visit the site much anymore because there's still too much reposted garbage from YT/Reddit, but I respect the good work people like Jason do over there. The "look at how weird Asia is being right now, you guys" articles need to go though, but I doubt they will.

do the ends really justify the means when 85% of the website is abject trash

Zornack

It's basically 24/7 news stations in written form, right? Tons of tiny, digestible, insignificant stories ready for the casual viewer with some racism and fear mongering thrown in. Yes, there is some genuinely respectable reporting, but it's surrounded by rubbish.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

It is a pretty worthless site though.

Myggen

yeah I don't think it's totally unfair to be kind of down on gawker in general, even if some of its child sites are okay.

Gawker has posted some vile shit over the years, like this:

And, still, none of these women who've ever slept with Magic Johnson seemed opportunistic enough to step forward and tell their tale. Neither have the transsexual prostitutes. So once again, the story of Magic's HIV survival takes front and center over how he actually got it. That Frontline documentary will have to wait for another day.

If anyone has any more information about who gave Magic Johnson HIV, please feel free to contact us. I think we can afford to pay more money for this now. Please email me at ajd@gawker.com with information. Thanks.

Kotaku has never posted anything like that, but I think it's understandable that people's perception of Gawker will bleed into their perception of all its sister sites.

On the plus side maybe Patrick is sitting on a big story he was waiting for the move to be finished before breaking.

He clearly has a insider at Activision so something new regarding why Destiny is such a trainwreck would be nice.

Myggen

On the plus side maybe Patrick is sitting on a big story he was waiting for the move to be finished before breaking.

He clearly has a insider at Activision so something new regarding why Destiny is such a trainwreck would be nice.

He talked about having a source on the Halo: MCC mess on the second Bombcast he was on in December, so wouldn't surprise me if we see a story about that in the near future.

Zaph

Gawker media has been made fun of for years though. Sure their system works when it comes to making money, but so does Buzzfeeds

yeah I don't think it's totally unfair to be kind of down on gawker in general, even if some of its child sites are okay.

Gawker is involved in a lot of bullshit, that's for sure. But parent media companies with dubious reputations is kind of par for the course with journalism - not every publication has the luxury of being owned by a trust. On top of that, Totilo does a pretty good job as gatekeeper when it comes to Gawker interference.

do the ends really justify the means when 85% of the website is abject trash

I think 85% is heavily inflated. Regardless, if you pick up any good newspaper or magazine, most people skip over the vast majority of it and only read the stuff they're interested in. For some reason we're a lot less forgiving when a website is formatted in a similar way.

He talked about having a source on the Halo: MCC mess on the second Bombcast he was on in December, so wouldn't surprise me if we see a story about that in the near future.

Right.

But I think that story is already pretty well known.

"it was only meant to be Halo 2 Anniversary but then earlier in the yaer MS decided they wanted the other 3 games as well and we couldn't delayed it past the holiday because this holiday was make or break for xbox so it launched before we got the online working".

More detail would be nice I guess.

2014 was such a train wreck for so many studios there shouldnt be a shortage of material for a big first impression at his new gig though.

Generally speaking, I think Kotaku has lessened their bullshit they put out and Polygon has been picking up the slack in that category.

#FollowTheCrecente

But seriously good on Patrick, Kotaku seems like a great fit for his specialty, regardless of my feelings on some of the sites content it's undeniably a better fit for him than GB was.

Chuck

Still without luck

If you're telling me the only way Jason Schrier can write an article about a failing game developer is if Patricia Hernandez writes 10 about nude mods, then you're either believing in something you don't understand, or refusing to acknowledge that others seem to manage.

Or both.

Toparaman

Banned
Gawker is involved in a lot of bullshit, that's for sure. But parent media companies with dubious reputations is kind of par for the course with journalism - not every publication has the luxury of being owned by a trust. On top of that, Totilo does a pretty good job as gatekeeper when it comes to Gawker interference.

I think 85% is heavily inflated. Regardless, if you pick up any good newspaper or magazine, most people skip over the vast majority of it and only read the stuff they're interested in. For some reason we're a lot less forgiving when a website is formatted in a similar way.

US Gamer is far better. No click bait, mostly quality writing. Support them; don't settle for Kotaku's bullshit business model just for the occasional gem.

I wonder if the people who make that anti-Patrick Chrome addon will discontinue it or update it to work with Kotaku. The depth of their dedication is impressive.

I wonder if the people who make that anti-Patrick Chrome addon will discontinue it or update it to work with Kotaku. The depth of their dedication is impressive.

Why the hell would those people read Kotaku?

If someone hates Patrick enough to go and develop a Chrome add-on, Kotaku's probably already on their HOSTS file.

Zaph

If you're telling me the only way Jason Schrier can write an article about a failing game developer is if Patricia Hernandez writes 10 about nude mods, then you're either believing in something you don't understand, or refusing to acknowledge that others seem to manage.

Or both.

Do I believe it's the only way? No. But those articles 1) don't hurt anyone 2) generate revenue 3) easily ignored and 4) are in line with Kotaku's often whimsical/sex positive tone.

And when you refer to "others", I think you're failing to address the massive amount of shuttered/downsized publications over the last few years - those "others" are rapidly decreasing in number. You have the Eurogamer Group putting out some good journalism occasionally. RPS (kinda also Eurogamer but not really) nails a couple stories a year. Polygon shuttered their only worthwhile features. Most respectable gaming journalism elsewhere only consists of human interest pieces and cultural stuff. Very few publications are putting in the massive man hours (with no guaranteed results) investigative journalism takes.

BearPawB

Banned
I think this makes sense for patrick.

I like him in video content. But solo video content he can do anywhere.
And I don't think the GB audience is one who clicks on a lot of text only articles.

I think if GB was in chicago, he never would have left. But, when you are out in Chicago alone, don't get to sit on the couch....I can see why he went to pursue a more text focused website.1

Myggen

Appreciate the kind comments, and I'll definitely keep the skepticism in mind! Maybe I can help change your mind, maybe not. I'll be doing some streaming and other video and podcast-related stuff on the site, so if reading Kotaku isn't your bag, there'll be other options.

From Patrick on the GB forum. So he's doing a podcast at least.

FStop7

Banned

In fairness, it was pretty irredeemable until Totillo and Schreier came along. And it's also part of Nick Denton's empire of garbage, unfortunately. But it certainly has improved vastly and Patrick joining up means it will almost certainly continue to improve.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The guys have gotten really quiet on social media lately. I don't think anyone even commented on the Patrick-news so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom