• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingocfs

I don't get the people saying that it's a huge stepdown...

Kotaku is a bigger site and it's centered around news (GB doesn't do news at all)... Patrick is a written journalist. It's a big upgrade for him.

I agree with this. The sites have two very different styles, and I think he fits better in their paradigm.

Well I wish him the best and hopefully he finds whatever niche he's looking for. Maybe he'll have more of a budget for some long form reporting there.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yeah I can't imagine Patrick ever doing a weekly roundup of miscellaneous web stuff on Giant Bomb dot com, your home for the hottest and most accurate video game news

I was afraid I was being to subtle (read also: unfunny). It makes me happy somebody got the joke :D

Not just "who comes to GB" but also "how much will the internet explode in anger when this person gets announced?"

At least this much
| |

I don't get the people saying that it's a huge stepdown...

Kotaku is a bigger site and it's centered around news (GB doesn't do news at all)... Patrick is a written journalist. It's a big upgrade for him.

probably people like me that stopped caring about the site years ago, before all their terrible editors left. Jason's good people. the site seems to be quite a bit better since Owen and Brian split.

Draxyle

Neo Member
I suppose that move makes some sense. I'll always miss having Scoops on the couch at GB, but that wasn't going to happen again either way.

Good luck out there, Patrick.

Brakke

Banned
Huh. Makes sense for him, Totilo and doing news. Kind of a bummer for me personally. I don't really care about reporting in video games, I think criticism and engagement are more worthwhile.

Curious to see Kotaku's new direction but ultimately don't care that much.

Congrats to Tricky in any case, sure he's happy about it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I remember Stephen Totillo saying their goal is to have one article every 20 minutes, 24/7. Can't imagine having that pressure on you.

Fjordson

In terms of actually getting news covered and spread, it's actually a huge upgrade. Giant Bomb's biggest draw is a podcast where Patrick hasn't been regularly featured in months, Kotaku has had major news stories.
Agreed. That and video content from multiple site personalities, which is kinda tough to do from halfway across the country.

SmithnCo

Not sure even Patrick can get me over to that site. Looking at their front page alone is turning me away.

The trending sidebar is fairly baffling

jPZLqtmp6Ow79.png

Zornack

Not sure even Patrick can get me over to that site. Looking at their front page alone is turning me away.

You mean you don't like stories on cosplay, random top 10 lists and dating advice articles?

All you people saying Kotaku is better than it used to be, what the hell did it used to be? Because looking at their past few pages it looks pretty damn bad.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You mean you don't like stories on cosplay, random top 10 lists and dating advice articles?

All you people saying Kotaku is better than it used to be, what the hell did it used to be? Because looking at the past few pages it looks pretty damn bad.

I mostly remember Kotaku for an article about a watermelon that looked like a butt.

popo

Kotaku has (IMO) never deserved all the shit it gets. A lot of the articles are bland click bait but it delivers an awful lot of news content - even if it is quantity over quality - with the occasional decent piece.

That said - I am surprised that Pat is willing to take a pay cheque from Gawker - one step better than TMZ in my opinion - and that is coming from someone who has been employed by banks over my entire career.

Kotaku was at IGN levels of clickbait articles when I visited there years ago. Maybe they've improved, but if Patrick isn't doing any video content I probably won't see any of his stuff. So he's working from home still? I thought Kotaku was based in NY.

Fjordson

All you people saying Kotaku is better than it used to be, what the hell did it used to be? Because looking at the past few pages it looks pretty damn bad.
Overall it's still not great, but they do have quality articles from time to time, which is better than what it used to be.

I don't need their front page. I follow him on Twitter, he'll post articles there, I'll read them.

Remember him doing the series of differently formatted articles a few months ago. Maybe he learned none of them did very well and those talents would work better somewhere else.

Myggen

Kotaku was at IGN levels of clickbait articles when I visited there years ago. Maybe they've improved, but if Patrick isn't doing any video content I probably won't see any of his stuff. So he's working from home still? I thought Kotaku was based in NY.

Kotaku is based in NYC, yeah. He's working out of the CAH office, last I heard.

Toparaman

Banned
Your loss... Kotaku has been great for a little while now. It's nothing like it was back when Crescente was still there.

Eh, from what I remember, Kotaku was a solid newsblog from 2007-2011 or so. When Totilo took over is really when the clickbait articles seemed to take over.

Totilo himself seems like a decent guy, but also way too passive and forgiving of bad writing.

And the Gawker network is shit in general, filled with writers who are quick to point the finger, but won't hesitate to compromise their ideals when it gets them clicks.

Alfredo

Patrick just wanted to work with people who truly appreciated Danganronpa. That was the video game that changed his life forever...

Myggen

Plus Jeff hates Brad because of Brad's love of Garden Warfare.

Leftrighttriggergate (catchy name!) will never be forgotten.

Anyways, congrats again to Patrick. Hope he gets to focus more on actual reporting now. Seemed like he had a source on the MCC fiasco, so let's see what comes of that.

Frenden

Banned
I don't visit Gawker's family of sites often (unless linked by others, basically). I'm happy for him and wish him well, though.

Myggen

The Skyrim modding scene can be fucking weird. There's SO MANY naked mods/mods focussed on sex, more than any other game I can think of (other TES games probably come close). I don't know why that is.

The Skyrim modding scene can be fucking weird. There's SO MANY naked mods/mods focussed on sex, more than any other game I can think of (other TES games probably come close). I don't know why that is.

TES games (especially Skyrim) allow for very in-depth modding that is also pretty user-friendly. On Nexusmods Skyrim has over 38,000 different mods, even if 1% of them are nude mods, that's still quite a lot.

I dont even know what Kotaku is outside of Jason Schreier's stuff.

Its just a random collection of internet bullshit with no target audience or aim. Just whatever you need to do to hit your hit target for the week.

Joining Gawker is a real bummer though but I guess full time jobs are hard to come by for the games press these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom