• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Kotaku a lot in the early days but stopped when the filler became insufferable. It has improved a lot though recently and I do enjoy some of Kotaku UK's output under Keza MacDonald.

I'm sure Patrick will be a big positive for the site.

if patrick wants to go to a site where one of the most clicked stories of the year was that a spiderman statue in korea had a boner

hes a big boy he can make that decision

so good luck pat hope your stories get more views than the much anticipated pregnant batman statue going up in vietnam

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if patrick wants to go to a site where one of the most clicked stories of the year was that a spiderman statue in korea had a boner

so good luck pat hope your stories get more views than the much anticipated pregnant batman statue going up in vietnam

I mean, that might be better than nobody(ish) reading his articles at Giant Bomb and then chastising him for having an opinion, I guess.

#FireAshcraft

#FireAshcraft

there is no doubt in my mind that bashcraft's LOLJAPAN posts bring in the majority of the clicks

also I feel like it's the fault of dumbass expats living in asia that have contributed the most to the west's perception of the culture, even though they're the first to cry "you just don't know the real japan"

figured this thread might be able to use these
3EJfGDq.png

DOkE9C8.png

Oibodt8.png

Alex's fucking belly sticking out of that suit has to be the most ridiculous thing ever done on GB. I am still stunned that they had to mosaic his genitals out.

How did they get him to agree to do that on camera? lol

there is no doubt in my mind that bashcraft's LOLJAPAN posts bring in the majority of the clicks

also I feel like it's the fault of dumbass expats living in asia that have contributed the most to the west's perception of the culture, even though they're the first to cry "you just don't know the real japan"

I like 8-4 for being a bunch of normal Western dudes living in Japan that a) have clearly integrated into the culture properly and b) are chill as heck about it. Western reporters living in Japan should use that example. I don't need any more "hey guys, culture is different on the other side of the planet!" posts.

TraBuch

Banned
Alex's fucking belly sticking out of that suit has to be the most ridiculous thing ever done on GB. I am still stunned that they had to mosaic his genitals out.

How did they get him to agree to do that on camera? lol
I just figured they did that for effect, didn't really have to.

Fjordson

I like 8-4 for being a bunch of normal Western dudes living in Japan that a) have clearly integrated into the culture properly and b) are chill as heck about it. Western reporters living in Japan should use that example. I don't need any more "hey guys, culture is different on the other side of the planet!" posts.
Yeah, part of why I like 8-4 also. As someone not terribly familiar with Japan and Japanese culture, it's interesting listening to 8-4 and hearing them talk about that stuff in a normal, day-to-day fashion.

Myggen

Totally. The "lol Asia" posts on Kotaku continue to be the worst, but it's pretty clear from that top 100 popular articles thing they posted a couple of days back that those posts are hugely popular. 8-4 can be a bit hit and miss for me, but I love the perspective they give.

Can we weekend thread yet?

Anyone seen any GB people say anything publicly to Patrick yet today? Seems oddly radio silent. Even Gamespot....

...wait, there's Jess McDonnell saying congrats. IT'S NOT A CBSI CONSPIRACY (MAYBE).

Jintor

As a dumbass expat living in Japan, I have to say that Japanese nerd culture is about as weird as western nerd culture

Myggen

Anyone seen any GB people say anything publicly to Patrick yet today? Seems oddly radio silent. Even Gamespot....

...wait, there's Jess McDonnell saying congrats. IT'S NOT A CBSI CONSPIRACY (MAYBE).

GB hates Patrick confirmed!

I think patrick will do fine on kotaku, they just aren't a site I view regularly or think of at all.

But maybe that will change. I used to go to joystiq daily back when they had that good podcast.

Corgi

Banned
seems like people give less of a fuss about kleptaku here than the thread lol.

Just hope those guys start up a podcast again. kotaku has some good folks on staff.

Only issue now is we will only get Alex tier news titles from now on until time stops.

• Jeff hates Drew because of the log truck stalling & truck sinking into the ground
  • Patrick leaves Giantbomb because of the la li le lu lo
  • Brad hates Rorie because Rorie threw away Rudds mail which contained Secret info
  • Vinny & Dan have become best friends after Dan let him win in mount your friends
  • Jason hates everybody because his korra save got deleted
  • Alex will fire Vinny from GBeast and the CNET guy will replace Vinny
  • Cara joins GBeast
  • The Fridge gets all pissed off and leaves Giantbomb in a fit of anger
  • The Fridge joins polygon

Season 7 of Giantbomb will end on a cliff hanger for sure.

popo

The latest Klepek thread has degenerated in to a bunfight over which site - koraku or GB - is the worst. Can we not all just come together and admit that Tested is shit now?

Good for Klepek. The guy's a writer and his work suffered at GB. Can't wait to see what we get from him when he's being edited by a proper journalist like Totilo.

Fjordson

I think patrick will do fine on kotaku, they just aren't a site I view regularly or think of at all.

But maybe that will change. I used to go to joystiq daily back when they had that good podcast.
Man I used to love the Joystiq podcast. Back when Justin McElroy and Ludwig Kietzmann were on it.

As for Kotaku, gaming news in general is something I don't care much about. Anything remotely major shows up on GAF or Twitter basically instantly. At least in my experience. Other than GAF, Giant Bomb is the only gaming site I ever visit, and even that is just for video content.

I do like that Jason Schreier guy, though. The few times I've been on Kotaku was to read something he's written that I saw linked on GAF. Seems to always put out good work.

Probably enjoying the last of their vacation instead of tracking each other on social media sites.

Zaph

seems like people give less of a fuss about kleptaku here than the thread lol.

Those threads always bring out lots of people who dislike the site anyway or don't really visit but want to express an opinion. Most regulars realise this is a good move for both Patrick and GB.

Only issue now is we will only get Alex tier news titles from now on until time stops.
I do like the irony of Alex's former hosting partner now working alongside the guy he had the embarrassing twitter arguement with during the whole gg/patreon fiasco.

I'm pretty okay with this trade:
  • Patrick gets to write more articles, his original talent.
  • Kotaku gets an amazing reporter
  • Giant Bomb NY gets to expand way faster than it would otherwise

I'll miss Patrick on the occasional videos, but it seems like it works out better for everyone.

Bacon

The latest Klepek thread has degenerated in to a bunfight over which site - koraku or GB - is the worst. Can we not all just come together and admit that Tested is shit now?

Haven't visited the site in god knows how long but the last time I listened to the podcast it was awful. I don't think will and norm have very good chemistry. They need Gary.

I'm pretty okay with this trade:
  • Patrick gets to write more articles, his original talent.
  • Kotaku gets an amazing reporter
  • Giant Bomb NY gets to expand way faster than it would otherwise

I'll miss Patrick on the occasional videos, but it seems like it works out better for everyone.

Hopefully first thing GBeast does is another office video

popo

Probably enjoying the last of their vacation instead of tracking each other on social media sites.

Only Alex really uses twitter in that way anymore. Dan likes to tweet about wrestling and selling his books but doesn't really engage in conversations unless he is trolling people.

Also I would bet all these guys talk on a near daily basis - at least via IM or email - and they have likely known where Patrick was going for weeks. Unless they publicly congratulate him on twitter though, I guess they all hate him now and are bitter about it.

Haven't visited the site in god knows how long but the last time I listened to the podcast it was awful. I don't think will and norm have very good chemistry. They need Gary.

I was mainly joking. That Jeremy guy is no Whitta (who apparently blows, lol) but is fine.

I am pretty bitter that the last podcast of the year was another fucking Adam podcast though. I avoid the Adam only sycophant-cast and here he is again, on the regular podcast. FML.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom