• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing tops Screened post-Rorie and -Alex for website decay. I felt really bad for the people who got assigned to steer that husk for as long as it was afloat.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Congrats to Patrick on the new gig. I don't visit kotaku anymore though because I find their site redesign to be a jumbled mess.

I like 8-4 for being a bunch of normal Western dudes living in Japan that a) have clearly integrated into the culture properly and b) are chill as heck about it. Western reporters living in Japan should use that example. I don't need any more "hey guys, culture is different on the other side of the planet!" posts.

agreed. Ricciardi in particular seems like someone I'd want to hang out with.

is Anime Vice literally just that one dude at this point? seriously, that is too much anime for one person to consume, I hope CBS has good insurance that covers mental health issues

popo

It is kinda cool that Eva Braun just turned AV over to the fans - unlike Screened where they tried to make money off it and then killed it when that didn't happen. Or maybe Eva got AV in the settlement when Eva Braun split and Braun rebranded as Whale Cock.

Anjin M

It is kinda cool that Eva Braun just turned AV over to the fans - unlike Screened where they tried to make money off it and then killed it when that didn't happen. Or maybe Eva got AV in the settlement when Eva Braun split and Braun rebranded as Whale Cock.

I almost googled that to figure out what you were talking about. Almost.

Zaph

Patrick posted this in the other thread.

I'm just gonna poke my head in here quickly and say hi.

First and foremost, squash the conspiracy theories. I wasn't pushed out, I'm on great terms with everyone, and CBS fought hard to keep me. I was simply looking for a new challenge.

This move is definitely an unexpected one for some, but I hope you'll keep an open mind. Kotaku's changed a lot in the last year or two, and some of their approaches to reporting (ditching previews, focusing on post-release coverage) sound really exciting. It's actually not too different from what's been happening at Giant Bomb for a while, either. I know people have lots of pre-conceived notions about Kotaku (or Gawker), and I'm not going to pretend some of that wasn't earned from past work.

If you're interested in my video content, I'm going to keep streaming horror games on my personal channels. I don't have details on that yet, but stay tuned. I'm also hoping to stream a playthrough of Demon's Souls this month, since I finally want to play it.

I can't be sure, but I also think my future Kotaku posts will exclusively show up here -- http://patrickklepek.kinja.com. That might be a solution for some of you? But I think there's lots of good work happening at Kotaku, though I don't disagree sometimes it can get lost in the news shuffle.

Hopefully some (most? all?) of you will join me in my post-Giant Bomb adventures, but if you don't, thanks for your support the last few years. It's been tremendously humbling, and I'm thankful for all of it. Have a good weekend!

Kinda surprised CBSi apparently fought hard, would have thought having someone in NY would be far more beneficial for GB.

Frenden

Banned
Haven't visited the site in god knows how long but the last time I listened to the podcast it was awful. I don't think will and norm have very good chemistry. They need Gary.

I still listen to the podcast. I like Will and Norm. But Gary is sorely missed, yes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you want to see something incredibly sad, check out AnimeVice's YouTube account. They're still going.
What? I can't even imagine what they could be doing for the site... especially when it's using the layout from like 4 years ago. lol

Myggen

i0eKljBzfYvny.gif

Aaron

Tested was really lucky when it started since there was a lot of emergent technology bubbling around that time. Now nearly everything is very iterative and essentially uninteresting, so they would have had to fill in the gaps anyway. They still do a great job covering tech... there's just almost no tech worth covering anymore.

Frenden

Banned
Tested was really lucky when it started since there was a lot of emergent technology bubbling around that time. Now nearly everything is very iterative and essentially uninteresting, so they would have had to fill in the gaps anyway. They still do a great job covering tech... there's just almost no tech worth covering anymore.

Vox/The Verge was dealt this blow, too. The Verge launched just as public interest in phones and junk was at its zenith. Now? Same clickbait style articles one can expect from any-old outlet. Kinda depressing.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't mind Will, Norm and Jeremy (I actually really hate Gary so that's a plus for me).... What really annoys me with the Tested Podcast is how much bulshit they can say every week.

The amount of wrong and straight up false stuff they say about subjects I know a lot about (for example video games) every weeks is mind numbing. It makes you wonder how much crap they also say about the other subjects I don't know as much personally.

While the Adam podcasts often sound like a fandom circle jerk, at least they can be interesting with behind the scenes stories and things like that.

Myggen

Huh, that's actually a really interesting perspective and explains why I've lost so much interest in tech sites like The Verge.

Megasoum

Banned

Vox/The Verge was dealt this blow, too. The Verge launched just as public interest in phones and junk was at its zenith. Now? Same clickbait style articles one can expect from any-old outlet. Kinda depressing.

Yeah exactly. There's really so much you can say about the new black rectangular slab that is phone sized or tablet sized.

You don't do a 20min video on a slightly faster processor or a slightly higher resolution.

I miss the early days of Android when it was the fucking far west out there lol.

Jintor

I was mainly joking. That Jeremy guy is no Whitta (who apparently blows, lol) but is fine.

Whitta's a great podcaster, I always enjoy podcasting stuff he's on

as a writer... i dunno really. But as part of the holy trinity of tested he's god tier

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Oh, hey! You saved me the crosspost.

It appears both the (original) NeoGAF and Giant Bomb threads turned into shit shows, but to reiterate what I said in the other spot, thanks for all of your support over the years. I know some of you can't or won't take a look at Kotaku, but I'm still looking forward to saying hi whenever I make it back on camera with the rest of the duders.

<3 <3 <3

Myggen

It appears both the (original) NeoGAF and Giant Bomb threads turned into shit shows, but to reiterate what I said in the other spot, thanks for all of your support over the years. I know some of you can't or won't take a look at Kotaku, but I'm still looking forward to saying hi whenever I make it back on camera with the rest of the duders.

<3 <3 <3

2596154-patrick_thumbsup.gif

I'll sub to your YT channel if I haven't already done that, also, I'm guessing you're doing that Dark Souls stream on your Twitch channel and hopefully posting the VODs on your YT channel?

Megasoum

Banned

<3 <3 <3

Hey Patrick

Grats on the new job!

I'm not really visiting Kotaku nowadays (I used to go everyday back in 07-08). I've heard a ton of good things about Schrieir and Totillo in the last year or so (and Jason has a big presence here too which helps) so I want to give it another chance... We'll see how it goes I guess!

Somebody posted earlier the Kotakucore link which should help a lot. I just can't stand the page design on Kotaku... For some reason I can't wrap my head around that design.

Now that I think about it... I was mostly using the Kotaku RSS feed back then which might explains why....anyway

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

<3 <3 <3

Congrats Patrick! I hope you get the challenge you're looking for. Your content and contributions will be missed at Giant Bomb.

<3 <3 <3
You made a massive impact at Giant Bomb and I bet the same will be true at Kotaku.

Also I said this in the other thread but come visit Champaign sometime soon, yeah?

Bacon

<3 <3 <3

Hope you can join giantbomb on camera as much as possible!

Congrats on the new job!

popo

I almost googled that to figure out what you were talking about. Almost.

BermanBraun bought the old Whiskey cast offs CBS didn't want. It was actually two people called Berman and Braun. They split the company and Braun renamed it Whalerock (no, he really did, could not make that shit up).

The rest was just bad puns on the name so I could work a Hitler reference in there.

<3 <3 <3

Remember when you got several Kotaku writers on the morning show? I hear Vinny and The Wolf are starting a new thing. they might be looking for guests ...

Whitta's a great podcaster, I always enjoy podcasting stuff he's on

as a writer... i dunno really. But as part of the holy trinity of tested he's god tier

Sure. Even if you don't always like him he is entertaining. Him being slammed in that Sony email leak was hilarious though. I wished he was still doing the podcast that week.

Zaph

Have a good one Patrick. I look forward to the inevitable dick measuring between yourself and Jason over who can land the most scoops.

<3 <3 <3

Good luck Patrick! Can't wait to see what you do at Kotaku!

Curufinwe

I don't mind Will, Norm and Jeremy (I actually really hate Gary so that's a plus for me).... What really annoys me with the Tested Podcast is how much bulshit they can say every week.

The amount of wrong and straight up false stuff they say about subjects I know a lot about (for example video games) every weeks is mind numbing. It makes you wonder how much crap they also say about the other subjects I don't know as much personally.

That's why I stopped listening.

<3 <3 <3

I think you will be a great edition to the team over there. I look forward to your first long form article on Kotaku!

<3 <3 <3

I'll probably just be reading stuff via Twitter - I consume a lot of Kotaku that way, at least from Kirk, Jason and Patricia's tweets - but I think it's a cool fit and I'm glad that you found something that works for you. Looking forward to seeing what you get up to, both in and out of Kotaku.

You gotta get an Aonuma interview come MM3D release, by the way. Grill him about that game. Get him to call Jeff a damn fool on camera.

<3 <3 <3

So let's talk kinja... are you the first official Kotaku Ninja?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Patrick, now that you're out of that degenerate wasteland, you should play Yakuza 5 and do a video series on it. See the light and all that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Patrick, now that you're out of that degenerate wasteland, you should play Yakuza 5 and do a video series on it. See the light and all that.
I hope Dead Souls didn't ruin the franchise for him. lol

Kotaku doesn't really do any audio/visual content themselves, so I doubt they're gonna start hosting content made by others.
Yeah, but you get the impression that outside of Patrick, there's really no ties between the two groups.

popo

Let us all spend a moment thinking of poor Max Temkin. He invested so much in Patrick and now he will likely never be on a GB stream again. "How could you? I ... I built you a studio!" Does he have to start sucking up to Kotaku dudes now?

Oh, speaking of 8-4, are they going to stay over at Giantbomb, or will Patrick bring them over to Kotaku?

They only moved from 1up when it's closure was imminent. I am sure PK was instrumental in them choosing GB for alternate hosting but they seem to have fitted in well. I am sure they are happy to stay.

Mark congratulated PK on his new job but reference the "deep talent" that GB still have.

<3 <3 <3

Congratulations Patrick. I really enjoyed how articulate you were(are) with you opinions in retrospect to the other duders. You balanced out things over there so nicely, but alas we all must move on to bigger and better things. Ill still enjoy the gb stuff as much as I always have and you'll still be out doing your thing with kotaku. You haven't really left my computer screen so here's to you and what ever new adventures you indulge in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom