• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

They only moved from 1up when it's closure was imminent. I am sure PK was instrumental in them choosing GB for alternate hosting but they seem to have fitted in well. I am sure they are happy to stay.

Mark congratulated PK on his new job but reference the "deep talent" that GB still have.

Mark listens to the Bombcast weekly or almost weekly going by how often he talks about something that was said on the Bombcast.

It appears both the (original) NeoGAF and Giant Bomb threads turned into shit shows

shocker. there's a reason I spend my GB-related commenting time in this thread pretty much exclusively.

Wait, Patrick was on 1up? Did he appear on any 1up shows?

oh wow, you didn't know that? he showed up periodically on the 1UP Show, including the one skit I will never be able to remove from my memory, when he was dancing around in a pair of daisy dukes

seriously

that was my introduction to Klipklop

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Let us all spend a moment thinking of poor Max Temkin. He invested so much in Patrick and now he will likely never be on a GB stream again. "How could you? I ... I built you a studio!" Does he have to start sucking up to Kotaku dudes now?
That whole thing was just really weird. I mean, I know why he had to disappear from the public eye, but it also seems like that enterprise amounted to nothing. Heck, do we even know if there will be random Iron Galaxy streams on GB anymore?

His best moment was when he was on all fours and started howling like a wolf on the 1up Show.

Super interested in seeing Patrick return to his roots by returning to primarily text based stuff.

I think not having to worry about the boring stuff of writing stories about press releases and uploading trailers should free him up to do some interesting stuff. Hope it works out.

And I forgot Stephen Totilo was in charge of that old MTV's gaming thing. He has been "the guy who keeps telling me Kotaku isnt shite anymore" for so long I forgot about that stuff.

popo

Sure. He was on 1upYours a few times too. I actually really hated him at that time. Just seemed like an over excitable kid with dumb hair. I feared the worst when GB hired him but it turned out age and experience tempered him well.

That whole thing was just really weird. I mean, I know why he had to disappear from the public eye, but it also seems like that enterprise amounted to nothing. Heck, do we even know if there will be random Iron Galaxy streams on GB anymore?

He just wanted to hang with the cool people. That studio thing was just a joke. I doubt he built it for any specific reason. CAH actually stream quite a bit themselves.

Same for Iron Galaxy. They do their own streams.

And I forgot Stephen Totilo was in charge of that old MTV's gaming thing. He has been "the guy who keeps telling me Kotaku isnt shite anymore" for so long I forgot about that stuff.

I bet Totilo is/was a good boss for Patrick. Jeff seems like a great friend but not such a great boss. Too soft. I bet Patrick starts spell checking his work after his first shouting at from Totilo.

strafer

well shit, I remember watching 1up Show a lot back in the day but didn't remember Patrick, maybe I saw him but didn't know it was him.

Time to go look for some old episodes.

He sure was.

I cant find any but here is some random video from 2006 of Patrick and his hair getting his Vox Pop on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKz_tw_bic

i'm not sober enough to handle whatever is going on here

What are you guys drinking tonight?

I got me some Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. It's pretty good.

I've got some decent beers in the fridge but right now I'm just drinking some fucking Evan Williams because it's cheap and I kind of don't even care anymore

Oh, hey! You saved me the crosspost.

It appears both the (original) NeoGAF and Giant Bomb threads turned into shit shows, but to reiterate what I said in the other spot, thanks for all of your support over the years. I know some of you can't or won't take a look at Kotaku, but I'm still looking forward to saying hi whenever I make it back on camera with the rest of the duders.

<3 <3 <3

Good luck dude

LegoArmo

It appears both the (original) NeoGAF and Giant Bomb threads turned into shit shows, but to reiterate what I said in the other spot, thanks for all of your support over the years. I know some of you can't or won't take a look at Kotaku, but I'm still looking forward to saying hi whenever I make it back on camera with the rest of the duders.

<3 <3 <3

Hope you have a great time working your new job. Congratulations.

hamchan

I'll visit Kotaku's content for Patrick. It's a great get for them. I'm still wondering though what they could have offered to lure Patrick away from Giant Bomb.

Myggen

I'll visit Kotaku's content for Patrick. It's a great get for them. I'm still wondering though what they could have offered to lure Patrick away from Giant Bomb.

A much bigger audience for his writing would be my main guess. It's a site only focussed on writing, while podcasts and videos are the bread and butter for GB.

Thinking about getting Valiant Hearts because of them talking about it on the GOTY podcasts.

I was half expecting that game to be some light hearted Dads Army thing but hearing its actually super serious and that Ubisoft Montpellier was the developer has me interested.

Its like 5 bucks on EU PSN right now so I guess i cant go wrong.

Myggen

Thinking about getting Valiant Hearts because of them talking about it on the GOTY podcasts.

I was half expecting that game to be some light hearted Dads Army thing but hearing its actually super serious and that Ubisoft Montpellier was the developer has me interested.

Its like 5 bucks on EU PSN right now so I guess i can go wrong.

It's pretty great. The puzzle design is a bit meh, but the art, the music and the story is great.

Renpatsu

Its like 5 bucks on EU PSN right now so I guess i can go wrong.
It's about the level of seriousness that you might expect from a Franco-Belgian comic depicting WWI, which is to say it dabbles in equal parts levity and melancholy, using that contrast to great effect.

Cranzor

<3 <3 <3

A little late here, but I wish you the best. I'll make sure to keep checking out the stuff you do over at Kotaku. Thanks for everything.

Myggen

gamergate are saying that Patrick going to Kotaku is collusion because of course they fucking are.

GG has been seeing collusion where there hasn't been any since it started, so that's not surprising. Patrick wasn't exactly popular among those assholes to begin with.

Frenden

Banned
Bourbon wise, I have about three shots left of a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. It's ruined me on other bourbons and is, last checked, pretty impossible to get hands on anymore. Boo.

I moved on to scotch. Bourbon and I need a break. I need to forget how good Pappy is.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't know if it's even possible to beat Tyson on an LCD. Probably doable via emulator so you don't have to worry about upscaling lag.

hwy_61

Banned
Bourbon wise, I have about three shots left of a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. It's ruined me on other bourbons and is, last checked, pretty impossible to get hands on anymore. Boo.

I moved on to scotch. Bourbon and I need a break. I need to forget how good Pappy is.

I've no experience with scotch. Any recommendations?

FStop7

Banned
It is kinda cool that Eva Braun just turned AV over to the fans - unlike Screened where they tried to make money off it and then killed it when that didn't happen. Or maybe Eva got AV in the settlement when Eva Braun split and Braun rebranded as Whale Cock.

I don't know how I feel about the fact that I completely understood this on the first reading.

Frenden

Banned
I've no experience with scotch. Any recommendations?

A cheap-ish scotch that's super drinkable that I've been hitting a lot is Edradour. Pour a bit in a glass with one ice cube to open it up a bit.

I like:

Edradour
Caol Ila
Stronachie (hard to get, natch)
Peat Monster (kind of a novelty with super smokey flavors, but fun in a I-just-drank-a-barbecue way)

...and a few others.

Scotch feels like a natural progression from bourbon to me. But, as a hobby, it gets expensive real quick.*

If you want something that you can drink on an Evan Williams-esque frequency, get Dewers. It's definitely not great, but it is cheap and ubiquitous. And not a terrible entry to what scotch is IMO. You can always get better stuff later.

Go to a liquor store you trust, tell them you are new to scotch and are looking for something reasonably priced to start with. They should know where to point you for sure.

*That bottle of Pappy a friend gifted me is retailing for $2000.00 or more last I checked. Shit is impossible to get. But amazing. I will save those three last shots or so for a very special occasion. Staring that price in the face made investing in some decent scotch seem like a downright bargain.

hwy_61

Banned
A cheap-ish scotch that's super drinkable that I've been hitting a lot is Edradour. Pour a bit in a glass with one ice cube to open it up a bit.

I like:

Edradour
Caol Ila
Stronachie (hard to get, natch)
Peat Monster (kind of a novelty with super smokey flavors, but fun in a I-just-drank-a-barbecue way)

...and a few others.

Scotch feels like a natural progression from bourbon to me. But, as a hobby, it gets expensive real quick.

If you want something that you can drink on an Evan Williams-esque frequency, get Dewers. It's definitely not great, but it is cheap and ubiquitous. And not a terrible entry to what scotch is IMO. You can always get better stuff later.

Go to a liquor store you trust, tell them you are new to scotch and are looking for something reasonably priced to start with. They should know where to point you for sure.

Alright! solid advice, thanks duder.

hwy_61

Banned
I'm drinking RumChata and Fireball. It's good.

This reminded me of rumchata, and I know its not the same, but I made some coquito a couple days ago. Honestly you can swap horchata with the coconut milk/cream, and I wouldn't know the difference. ok maybe a little.

Cranzor

uuEgYhb.png

(I'll stop.)

Joeku

I'm drinking Diet Dr. Pepper and Fireball. It's got a wee bit of a kick. Really good. But cheap.

(I'm Canadian. Booze is so expensive up here.)

Zabka

<3 <3 <3

I still remember the original video game wolf.

ibwvseN86qLxlL.gif

Good luck!

hamchan

A much bigger audience for his writing would be my main guess. It's a site only focussed on writing, while podcasts and videos are the bread and butter for GB.

This is true. Personally I find videos and podcasts to be the dominant medium for games coverage in the future, if it isn't already. Plus Giant Bomb seems to be the peak of games coverage just in terms of job quality of life, from my perspective anyways. But if Patrick really is focused on writing then Kotaku is a better place than Giant Bomb for that if he wants more exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom