• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Listening to This Year. The emails during Jeff's time as host were pretty great. We got Australian Beef and shit bandits out of it.

Myggen

I'm sure there'll be a GB-related donation incentive on AGDQ this year (like naming Yoshi after Jeff last year), so let's make sure to post it in this thread as soon as someone comes up with it :)

ADGQ is starting now btw, hyyyyyype!

Zaph

god i miss dave

And Ryan with his beautiful way with words "Daikatana is a hot piece of bullshit regardless of where you're getting it".

I hope whoever gets hired has a bit of assholeishness to them. Vinny and Alex are both too nice - need some heel action over there.

Anjin M

Yeah, you know, I almost want to just write it off as Australia being Australia but there are plenty of places in the US that call them that too (my midwestern relatives, for one example)
When I was younger (we are talking in the '80s), I remember that we called the specific style of shoe with the rubber base and plastic band over the top and between the toes and thong. But that's been a while now.

When I was younger (we are talking in the '80s), I remember that we called the specific style of shoe with the rubber base and plastic band over the top and between the toes and thong. But that's been a while now.

yeah it's probably worth noting that I'm probably around your age, and it was largely when I was younger when I heard them called that

Myggen

Watching AGDQ and I can't help thinking that:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a GOTY contender.

I think it's really good, but I've never been a big fan of the DK way of platforming for some reason, so it's probably not a top 10 game to me.

Watching AGDQ and I can't help thinking that:
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is a GOTY contender.

same, and I've been playing Mordor and don't really see what makes it more than a better-than-average example of that style of game.

but they can pick whatever they want I guess.

I will argue that Mordor shouldn't have been on the "best looking" list though, by their own definition, inconsistency kills that category. That game ranges from decent looking to downright fugly depending on what you're looking at.

Myggen

same, and I've been playing Mordor and don't really see what makes it more than a better-than-average example of that style of game.

but they can pick whatever they want I guess.

I will argue that Mordor shouldn't have been on the "best looking" list though, by their own definition, inconsistency kills that category. That game ranges from decent looking to downright fugly depending on what you're looking at.

But it wasn't on their top 3 of best-looking, and was dismissed quickly if it was brought up in the discussion.

erawsd

I actually felt that way about Tropical Freeze too. Its a fine game but I have no idea what makes it "one of the best platformers of all time".

OtjmYHI.gif

stolen from the AGDQ thread

strafer

So I was reading up on some stuff, this sucks.

Leon will appear in a R.P.D. uniform. This is an updated version of his outfit from Resident Evil 2. The R.P.D. outfit has the same effects as the Tactical Vest (shaving 30% of all damage taken). The tactical vest itself can also be worn to stop 60% of damage.

This effect is not present in the Wii and HD re-release versions.

So why did I even buy the tactical vest in the first place? It evens says 30 % damage reduction...

fucking lies :(

It's weird with platformers because for the most part everyone left making them is really, really good at it. Rayman Legends, DKCR, Shovel Knight, and Mario 3D World are all masterful platformers, which ironically means that none of them really stand out in relation to each other.

Name ten 2D platformers better than Tropical Freeze.

There's probably more I'm forgetting, but:

Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Rayman
Rayman Legends/Origins
Spelunky
Battleblock Theater
Ristar
Pulseman
Dynamite Headdy
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Ducktales
Rocket Knight Adventures
Yoshi's Island
Super Mario Land 2
Wario Land 3

depending on your definition of platformer:

Mega Man 2 & 3
Mega Man X, X2, & X4
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Super Castlevania IV, and SotN
Trials Evolution
Super Metroid/Metroid Fusion/Metroid Zero Mission
Revenge of Shinobi

Some of those you could make an argument against, but there are at least 10 games there better than Brothers Tropical Freeze.

(at least half of the list can consist of Mario alone and it'd be valid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom