• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

Watching the AGDQ run of Transistor, I really love Transistor. I don't get the disappointment for it among the duders (barring Brad). I found the presentation and combat to be a lot better than Bastion's. I really love the VO in the game as well, Royce is particularly great. I even like the story better than Bastion's.

I found the story to be told in a bad way, and not be very good in general (sorry, Kasavin!). And for some reason it just didn't feel...right to me. Bastion was one of my top 5 games of that year, and I'm not even sure I can say I liked Transistor even though it looks really good, the gameplay is great and the music is really good.

Anyways, someone on the GB forum found this video from 1999 of Jeff (among many others) hyping Midway in a promo video. WHAT A SHILL! ;)

I found the story to be told in a bad way, and not be very good in general (sorry, Kasavin!). And for some reason it just didn't feel...right to me. Bastion was one of my top 5 games of that year, and I'm not even sure I can say I liked Transistor even though it looks really good, the gameplay is great and the music is really good.

Anyways, someone on the GB forum found this video from 1999 of Jeff (among many others) hyping Midway in a promo video. WHAT A SHILL! ;)

I dunno, I liked that you were just dropped in this world and have to piece it together (though that's shared with Bastion). The whole programming motif, using abilities to unlock backstory, having the narrator be a character that's also deeply ingrained in the story, and so on I all found to be fantastic. Like this part, for example: (Transistor ending spoilers in video) video I thought was well done as an intro to a boss. I never got the desire to replay Bastion, but I also immediately started replaying Transistor after I finished it. Trying to pull the story out of the game can be difficult, but I really liked how even the surface stuff was told. Someone like Royce or the Transistor/Red characters stuck with me more than any of the characters from Bastion.

Myggen

Meh, I just didn't like the story. It also seemed like the game kinda fell off the earth after it was released, didn't have the post release hype Bastion did. But that might be more because Bastion was their first game, while Transistor followed up on a lot of the concepts.

Xeteh

I really liked Transistor. It was in my top 10 for 2014. It wasn't everything I had hoped it would be but it was really good. I wish the story was a bit more in your face about the happenings, I've never been a huge fan of having to dig around in games to find the lore (which means I missed a shitload in the Souls games). I'm with Vinny on the challenge rooms though, those were a blast.

J1lPDgd.jpg

From Reddit

The thirst for some new MGS is real.

kGjHNno.gif

Season 1 is the best and mandatory. Season 2 spirals down quickly. Season 3 is a mess. Only watch season 4 if you want more of the charachters.

Nope. It's not very good. Season 1 is alright, but that's about it.

Season 1 is great, then it gets progressively worse after that.

hmmmmm

Sounds like Season 1 is the overwhelming winner then.

Might just check it out the rest if season 1 hooks me.

Toparaman

Banned
This was my first video game and I will cherish it forever. It was the Jazzpunk of its time.

I used to play so much Lego Island with my bruv. Watching that video I see it's a bad video game, but I still love it. I may or may not love the OST.

I feel like the only person who played the sequel and not the original. It had much better gameplay, but was not nearly as batshit insane.

And now I'm tempted to find it and play it again.

Man I'm watching some Snake Eater stuff, and I think Drew will love the game. Snake Eater encompasses the perfection of Metal Gear, it really is a damn good blend of action/story. It just pulls off everything in a perfect way.

Man I'm watching some Snake Eater stuff, and I think Drew will love the game. Snake Eater encompasses the perfection of Metal Gear, it really is a damn good blend of action/story. It just pulls off everything in a perfect way.

I've been playing some Snake Eater and so far it's been surprisingly grounded apart from the boss designs. Well ok, the very last thing I did last night was
meeting the guy who came up with the concept of Metal Gears and who has already designed the Metal Gears we've seen in the earlier games. He also talked about some philosophers or whatever.

BigBoss

I've been playing some Snake Eater and so far it's been surprisingly grounded apart from the boss designs. Well ok, the very last thing I did last night was
meeting the guy who came up with the concept of Metal Gears and who has already designed the Metal Gears we've seen in the earlier games. He also talked about some philosophers or whatever.

Is this your first time through the game?

jgminto

The only thing I don't really like about MGS3 is that the Cobra unit members don't have much character to them aside from The Boss, The Sorrow and The End. Would have been nice if The Pain, The Fear and The Fury were more than vessels for fights too.

Myggen

Member of the GB community on the couch on ADGQ now (in purple, I think he's one of the event organizers now). Giant Bomb represent!

sjack

Banned
I just hope that when Drew eventually starts MGS 3, he doesn't try to rush between each cutscene like he did with beginning of 2. There's a lot more gameplay to sink your teeth into this time, and the best way to get the most out of all of it is to take your time and explore every nook and cranny of each area and experiment with all the weapons and equipment the game throws at you.

It would also be nice to see him learn how to execute the more complex actions, like holding up, as well as the CQC techniques. Watching him just shoot guards in the head with a tranq gun got kind of old in MGS 2, but I didn't mind it that much since it was mostly his reaction to the story and general insanity to that game that kept me interested.

Yeah. I started playing through the series for the first time a bit before MGScanlon (by coincidence) and now I've been trying to stay ahead of Drew.

You should be able to be ahead of drew then, that way you can sit and relax when he does it through~ You might even be able to catch some details in the games.

I really like how Drew handles the boss fights. Dan's mentioned it, but the way he tackles the fights is fun to watch. Granted it's not always optimal, but with MGS3....oh boy, that's gonna be fun to watch, especially since those fights are so open.

The only thing I don't really like about MGS3 is that the Cobra unit members don't have much character to them aside from The Boss, The Sorrow and The End. Would have been nice if The Pain, The Fear and The Fury were more than vessels for fights too.

The Fury does have that flying fiery ghost face at the end once you defeat him though.
"Fuuuuuurry!"

Gnome

I've only ever played MGS 4; watching Drew makes me want to play all of them. I'm thinking about getting the HD collection on Vita. I'm not sure if it's worth it though, I thought MGS4 was just kind of alright.

jgminto

Speaking of the Drew and Dan playing MGS3, Dan needs to make sure Drew gets the codec about
Ocelot being the son of The Boss.

sjack

Banned
Speaking of the Drew and Dan playing MGS3, Dan needs to make sure Drew gets the codec about
Ocelot being the son of The Boss.

The franchise has always overhyped Big Boss' lineage, but I don't think there have been characters as influential as The Boss (who essentially indirectly started the events of the series) and Ocelot (who helped finish them)

Was there a codec for that? I know it's heavily implied but I don't remember any call outright saying it

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I love Croteam (which I guess just means I love Serious Sam), but I'm waiting for a sale or PS+ promotion.

Fair enough, the price is a bit steep. It is REALLY good though and also seems to have a lot of content.
Also, it is insane that a puzzle games based around Nihilism and Existentialism is coming from a developer solely known for the dumbest shooter series on the market. (I love Serious Sam. Except BFE. BFE was garbage)

Also, like in Serious Sam, there are some really dumb easter eggs in this game. Which is great cause I like easter eggs

Anjin M

Back in the GOTY thread, people were giving them crap for overusing "profoundly disappointing." I just assumed they were taking shots at Patrick again. Then I listened to the This Year podcast.

Holy eff.

Listening to the vocal meme jump from person to person is amazing and terrifying. At least four of them said it in about five minutes. So crazy!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The worst thing about MGS3 is The Fury.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK THAT BOSS BATTLE.

Easily the most difficult boss in mgs3 for me.

e: That might have been because it was fairly tedious as well.

sjack

Banned
The worst thing about MGS3 is The Fury.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK THAT BOSS BATTLE.

Meh, pretty straight forward for me. Just use the mosin to snipe him from afar.

Now trying to beat the Fear non-lethally on the other hand...

Confession: I'm playing the game on easy because I just want to get done with it :(

And easy really means easy in that game. In MGS1 and MGS2 I often got myself killed on purpose when spotted since it was quicker than dealing with the enemies, caution state etc., but the enemies do so little damage here that I can't be bothered.

Fevaweva

Meh, pretty straight forward for me. Just use the mosin to snipe him from afar.

Now trying to beat the Fear non-lethally on the other hand...

Easily the most difficult boss in mgs3 for me.

e: That might have been because it was fairly tedious as well.

I had to cheese the boss using the sniper rifle after about 10-15 tries. Ridiculously hard boss, mainly due to the clunkiness of the MGS controls (and the shitty way fire is in that game)

Kelas

I had to cheese the boss using the sniper rifle after about 10-15 tries. Ridiculously hard boss, mainly due to the clunkiness of the MGS controls (and the shitty way fire is in that game)

It's also difficulty out of nowhere, because the bosses before were relative pushovers in comparison. More mgs3 boss fight spoilers:
The Pain I just kept shooting and spamming grenades against. I didn't even have to move against The Fear, as he just jumped between three trees in front of me while I kept shooting him.

It's also difficulty out of nowhere, because the bosses before were relative pushovers in comparison. More mgs3 boss fight spoilers:
The Pain I just kept shooting and spamming grenades against. I didn't even have to move against The Fear, as he just jumped between three trees in front of me while I kept shooting him.

I found The Fury to be quite easy, I just ran around the arena staying the width of one of the walkways from him, popping shots when he would walk round the corner.

For
The Pain I just stood on the ledge and used the shotgun / shot the 'grenades' and for The Fear I used the thermal goggles. At first I was finding it tough but then I found a spot in the bottom left (entering it from the direction for the boss fight) and had a similar experience where he would go to the same two branches.

Kelas

I found The Fury to be quite easy, I just ran around the arena staying the width of one of the walkways from him, popping shots when he would walk round the corner.

That's how I ended up doing it, but I just remember it taking several attempts and being a bit of a drag to keep undetected.

It probably didn't help that I didn't realise I had a bunch of life medicine in my inventory until after that fight. A few of my attempts definitely could have been successful if I had healed up. For a large part of the game I assumed they had done away with old style rations/healing items.

It probably didn't help that I didn't realise I had a bunch of life medicine in my inventory until after that fight. A few of my attempts definitely could have been successful if I had healed up. For a large part of the game I assumed they had done away with old style rations/healing items.

Ha, It was that boss fight that made me realise Life Medicine was a thing too. Before that I was relying on the regen.

jgminto

Non-lethally fighting The Fury is pretty easy actually. You just pop a few rounds in him with the hushpuppy or mosin nagant at first and then roll or cqc him when he starts running around and turns a corner.

The End took me 45 mins the first time.

Then I read about the change date trick

Why would you want to skip the best boss battle in the entire series though?

Not sure if it's been said already..but there's a AGDQ bidding challenge to name the Morrowind character "Air Force Gator". We have to make this happen.

strafer

Non-lethally fighting The Fury is pretty easy actually. You just pop a few rounds in him with the hushpuppy or mosin nagant at first and then roll or cqc him when he starts running around and turns a corner.

Why would you want to skip the best boss battle in the entire series though?

I didn't skip. I tried it on the my second playthrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom