• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

That reminds me. Anyone want to take a guess when they hire the new person?

I'm guessing they announce they hired someone in March, name gets out in May, they start right after E3.

I'm guessing they announce they hired someone in March, name gets out in May, they start right after E3.

Nah that is tooooo long.

Probably in the next couple of weeks i think

#teammyggen

Volotaire

Much too long in my opinion. I think Jeff will sift through them this month, select someone in Feb and announce much before E3 (Feb.March)

daydream

Banned

I expect them to move way faster, honestly. Wouldn't be surprised to see the first piece of Cara content in February/March.

Egg0

Banned
So Max Scoville joins IGN. Seems like the industry is just shuffling the deck on staff.

They should go full on WWE with it, where they trade/draft people for a few months.

Myggen

The Cara meme is only going to disappoint people who aren't realistic about the practical difficulties of her not being from NA.

Is the Cara thing wishful thinking or is it like when everyone knew Dan was the new hire a month before they announced it?

Wishful thinking, never going to happen.

Fjordson

The this year compilation is so good I might go back and relisten to the other this year compilations again

Dan truly is a national treasure. And maybe also a national anti-treasure, too
Agreed, they're really well put together.

The older Bombcast ones are slightly sad for me ever since Ryan passed (and doubly so now that Vinny has moved) but they're a nice reminder of how good the original four guys were together.

Rapstah

I flipped some Tarot cards and they predicted the new hire will have the same first name as someone already hired by Giant Bomb, the new hire is going to have a new accent that no one else on the crew has, and "One more chance!" will occur more frequently during shuffles for a while. Sorry, I'm new to Tarot.

How much is Clara making on Patreon anyway?

It currently says $2,771 per article. How many articles does she write for those who donate? If its one a week she is swimming on money. One a month? Ehhhhh.

Mr. F

Banned
I wonder if the GBeast studio is finished yet? After finally getting through the GOTY podcasts I miss Vinny already.

Myggen

How much is Clara making on Patreon anyway?

It currently says $2,771 per article. How many articles does she write for those who donate? If its one a week she is swimming on money. One a month? Ehhhhh.

Not even close to one per month, I think.

edit: Okay, seems to be about 1 per month, actually.

Xeteh

He complains that he played 64 hours of a game that wasn't satisfying.

Stop playing if its not satisfying.

The title kind of got me. I love DA:I but I recognize the faults in it. I realize it won't be for everyone... what I don't get is why a game having a lot of optional padding "doesn't respect" his free time?

Maybe I'm taking the title too literally.

Well ok. Its totally decent side money for her then.

If got to keep that at a full time job she would be doing real well for herself.

Aren't her articles about specific indie developers where she spends a lot of time with them before writing it? I can't imagine she'd be able to do that and work in NY full time.

The Cara meme is only going to disappoint people who aren't realistic about the practical difficulties of her not being from NA.

Wishful thinking, never going to happen.

I don't know much about us immigration, but wouldn't they(GB) need to justify to CBS why she would be more qualified than any of the other US applicants ?

Myggen

I don't know much about us immigration, but wouldn't they(GB) need to justify to CBS why she would be more qualified than any of the other US applicants ?

Yup, it's a significant cost with no guarantee. Danny talked about it taking over 6 months for him, and he was employed at the UK arm of a US company for a few years before applying. Just cross that off the list I think.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Anyone feel like this image is a little crass?

I wouldn't be super thrilled about seeing that if I was one of the higher ups at ign.

Imagine Patrick posting something like that when he left giantbomb.

I saw Jeff and Dan favorite it on twitter and thought it was just a joke, due to the pic. I guess not. IGN's audience is probably 12 year olds on youtube, so it makes sense.

Dazzler

Yup, it's a significant cost with no guarantee. Danny talked about it taking over 6 months for him, and he was employed at the UK arm of a US company for a few years before applying. Just cross that off the list I think.

I just went through the Canadian version of this, it's NOT fun. Your whole life hinges on a pencil pusher's decision

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The title kind of got me. I love DA:I but I recognize the faults in it. I realize it won't be for everyone... what I don't get is why a game having a lot of optional padding "doesn't respect" his free time?

Having to go to the Warroom to send people out and having the Blacksmith in a different area then the traders was the most annoying thing in the game for me. The optional sidestuff was all bad but at least it was optional.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I flipped some Tarot cards and they predicted the new hire will have the same first name as someone already hired by Giant Bomb, the new hire is going to have a new accent that no one else on the crew has, and "One more chance!" will occur more frequently during shuffles for a while. Sorry, I'm new to Tarot.

it's fucking ghoul isn't it

def sim

I should really get back to it on PS4. Haven't played it since launch.

I played some on PS4 at launch and then again on Xbox One just to see it. It changed quite a bit between releases. You get a ship, an AI pal, and story based mission points at first now.

The developers are incredibly dedicated to the game if nothing else. I could see myself maybe checking it out on PC one day.

santeesioux

DA: I is turning into my biggest disappointment of 2014. I just hate the mission design in the game, too much MMO-like bullshit, and the story isn't doing much for me. I really loved DA: O, but this? :(

Oh well, I can always fire up Baldur's Gate 2.

I really had to force myself to finally finish that game. By the time i reached the final side area that you can get on the war table to do side missions on i said fuck it and didn't do any in that area after doing most of the missions in the other 9 or however many side areas there were. Outside of seeing some of my favorite characters from the original DA game, i wasn't really feeling the story either.

With all of the bs you mentioned, i don't think i can go back and play it again as an asshole, and i used to love doing that in every Bioware game.

Zaph

You can put some of it down to timing, but damn, it is kinda of amazing the impact Giant Bomb had/has on this industry. Really paved the way. Wish I was more of a fan of those guys - Greg is cool but only in a cohost/guest kind of way (he's always fantastic on the E3 podcasts).

Couple problems 1) there's a massive over saturation of video game reporters and no jobs for them, proving to immigration why Cara is needed above all the US applicants is hard. 2) This kind of work doesn't qualify for the 'genius visa' a lot of companies use to bring talent to the US.

DA: I is turning into my biggest disappointment of 2014. I just hate the mission design in the game, too much MMO-like bullshit, and the story isn't doing much for me. I really loved DA: O, but this? :(

I have a theory on the awful MMO-esque quest design of DA:I. Two years prior to launch was around the time The Old Republic really tanked and went F2P - what are the odds a bunch of devs from that were moved over to create quest content with no real mandate on how their approach should change? For all the story hype in TOR, a lot of the quest design was blander than WoW's.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

What scares me is that Bioware has been talking a lot about how this is going to be the template for the next Mass Effect game.
I was never the biggest ME fan but my love for Sci-Fi was enough to get me through the games but if they just make DA:I in space I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom