• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Ace

I do like this thought experiment of Jeff demanding something to happen and all of Giant Bomb, CBS, and the United States government rolling over to his will.

santeesioux

i think Daniel Ryckert should take advantage of the Unlimited Anime™ provided by the fine folks at Crunchyroll™ in order to watch a fine Japanimation by the name of "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure," which, incidentally, has just entered a new season

i believe Daniel Ryckert would enjoy "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" very much, and wholeheartedly suggest he begin watching it, and then share his opinions via social media websites such as Twitter, or on more longform formats such as the "Giant Bombcast"

Better yet, some sort of anime only podcast dedicated to his watching experience, sponsored by Crunchyroll™!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
While I think Cara would be a great fit I don't really feel comfortable putting so much pressure on Jeff and co. on things that might be out of their control.

If it's not Cara there might be a pretty big shitstorm just due to how hyped up this is now.

Zaph

If it's not Cara there might be a pretty big shitstorm just due to how hyped up this is now.
I doubt it. Most people can probably appreciate the reality of immigration law.

If it's a white dude though? Shitstorm commence. I don't envy Jeff's position right now - especially considering 90%+ of the applicants probably fit into that demo.

What if it's geoff kieghley

after all geoff invited jeff to the VGAs this year and jeff voted

and then we can have funny shows like

'Geoff and Jeff'
'Jeff and Geoff'

it'll be awesome.

Megasoum

Banned
I doubt it. Most people can probably appreciate the reality of immigration law.

If it's a white dude though? Shitstorm commence. I don't envy Jeff's position right now - especially considering 90%+ of the applicants probably fit into that demo.

Truth is there will be a shitstorm no matter who gets hired. Only thing left to find out is from which side the shitstorm will be coming.

Scizzy

Truth is there will be a shitstorm no matter who gets hired. Only thing left to find out is from which side the shitstorm will be coming.

No, if they hire a woman or minority, the manbabies will cry that GB caved to political correctness. And if Jeff hires a white guy, the same thing will happen as last time: some people will say, "man, that's too bad - they missed an opportunity to improve the site by including more diversity" and the manbabies will cry that GB just hired the most deserving candidate and political correctness sucks and you're jerks for not seeing that. So I can safely predict exactly which direction the shitstorm will be coming from.

SmithnCo

What if it's geoff kieghley

after all geoff invited jeff to the VGAs this year and jeff voted

and then we can have funny shows like

'Geoff and Jeff'
'Jeff and Geoff'

it'll be awesome.

Jeff can share his disdain for Yoshi and Geoff can relate with his hatred of Pikachu.

Zornack

No, if they hire a woman or minority, the manbabies will cry that GB caved to political correctness. And if Jeff hires a white guy, the same thing will happen as last time: some people will say, "man, that's too bad - they missed an opportunity to improve the site by including more diversity" and the manbabies will cry that GB just hired the most deserving candidate and political correctness sucks and you're jerks for not seeing that. So I can safely predict exactly which direction the shitstorm will be coming from.

You are a silly person.

BearPawB

Banned
I am going to go all Dan here for a second:

Can someone explain visas to me?

I am assuming if she wanted to visit, it would be really easy and you don't need a visa?

Why is it difficult to get a visa? Isn't "i have a job here" a pretty good reason for our government to say come on in?

I get we can't just open the floodgates. But i don't understand why getting a visa for someone from the UK would be that difficult.

Myggen

That would not be a safe assumption to make. I'd think the opposite is more likely to be true, with Jeff not having the ability to override HR.

HR has the final say on hiring, for sure. Jeff seemed to indicate that much with one of his most recent Tumblr posts about the process.

danm999

I am going to go all Dan here for a second:

Can someone explain visas to me?

I am assuming if she wanted to visit, it would be really easy and you don't need a visa?

Why is it difficult to get a visa? Isn't "i have a job here" a pretty good reason for our government to say come on in?

I get we can't just open the floodgates. But i don't understand why getting a visa for someone from the UK would be that difficult.

There are different visas depending on what you want to do, and some are easier to get than others.

A tourist visa is usually quite easy to get, since countries are keen to promote tourism. In fact, as a resident of the UK, Cara could apply to get a visa waiver for 90 days, if all she wanted to do was visit the US.

But to work there long term, you need a work visa. Those are much harder to get.

There are different visas depending on what you want to do, and some are easier to get than others.

A tourist visa is usually quite easy to get, since countries are keen to promote tourism. In fact, as a resident of the UK, Cara could apply to get a visa waiver for 90 days, if all she wanted to do was visit the US.

But to work there long term, you need a work visa. Those are much harder to get.

Mhm. Not to mention usually your company has to do the paperwork of getting you that VISA. And then it's tough. Usually they question the company asking why they want this specific person, what this person brings that no other legal resident can, there was a handy flowchart I saw once.

Here we go:
481p7fJ.png

Just got back to school and played some mount your friends with a bunch of people over a few drinks. What a blast that game is. The only problem I found was that if people want to, you can literally make it impossible to get up the tower by reaching the horizontal limit and forming a wall there. You can't swing around people because the boundary stops you. It's kind of a bummer, but the problem is kind of fixed by switching spawns to random instead of alternating.

Definitely going to pick up a wireless xbox receiver so I can buy gang beasts and hook up a ton of controllers. Hopefully it's as big a hit as Mount was.

Anyone know of any other "pass the controller" style local multiplayer games? I asked people about Jackbox but they didn't seem super into the idea.

Edit: should specify pc games.

BearPawB

Banned
Mhm. Not to mention usually your company has to do the paperwork of getting you that VISA. And then it's tough. Usually they question the company asking why they want this specific person, what this person brings that no other legal resident can, there was a handy flowchart I saw once.

Here we go:

Thanks, that chart was super helpful.
Seems to me shes in that lower greenish yellowish section?..CBSI hopefully has the funds to pay for a visa, but even then they are super limited.

Yeah, that seems super unlikely. What a hellish process

OR, Jeff and Cara get married? (Sorry Jeff's GF)

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm watching a guy play Elite Dangerous on Twitch right now and he's using a voice command software that handle all the ship's navigation systems and answers back with R2-D2 noises. The robot also handles his radio (aka MP3 playlist). He went as far as adding a radio tuning sound effect that plays everytime he asks it to change the "station" to a new song. He has a shit ton of commands and answers setup from the tool. It really feels like he has a full fledged EDI/R2-D2 style AI copilot.

This is the coolest shit I have ever seen.

Actually, what's Veronica Belmont up to these days? Why not hire her?

She is great on camera, but she's not a video games person (not in the same sense as the current slate of people and that Patrick was) and way more of a tech geek. Plus she already has a job :p

As much as I would love for Cara to join the GBEast office, I'm personally excited for a nobody that we don't even know.

BearPawB

Banned
So I'm watching a guy play Elite Dangerous on Twitch right now and he's using a voice command software that handle all the ship's navigation systems and answers back with R2-D2 noises. The robot also handles his radio (aka MP3 playlist). He went as far as adding a radio tuning sound effect that plays everytime he asks it to change the "station" to a new song. He has a shit ton of commands and answers setup from the tool. It really feels like he has a full fledged EDI/R2-D2 style AI copilot.

This is the coolest shift I have ever seen.

I cant decide if i should buy this game. Like it looks AMAZING. But is there a good variety of things to do? Or do you just go around trading space junk?

Jintor

This is the coolest shit I have ever seen.

that's fucking amazing

erawsd

No doubt. Based on how the goodbye Patrick thread went, I suspect it may be even worst this time around. That new hire has to be ready for an extreme degree of scrutiny and bunch of twitter/blog/forum discussion about how they dont deserve the job before they've even had a chance to prove themselves.

rakhir

Sooo, the fastest way to become a citizen and be eligible to have a job is to marry an US citizen? There's your GB slash fiction, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom