• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You are all setting yourselves up for disappointment, you know that right?
Just because you keep saying the name of one person doesn't mean she'll get hired.

Myggen

Reading about US visas gave me a headache.. I guess Cara has to marry someone at GBEAST to have a chance.

Yeah, I think there's many people out there who have no idea how difficult it is, especially people on Tumblr (the Giantbomblr dude etc.) who act like getting Cara hired would be easy.

AcridMeat

Banned
intoxication probably makes it better tbh
I was completely sober when I tried to watch it and I made it about 10 minutes. Take that however you want.
Thanks fellas, I'll try it tomorrow night. Got caught up with other stuff.
So I'm watching a guy play Elite Dangerous on Twitch right now and he's using a voice command software that handle all the ship's navigation systems and answers back with R2-D2 noises. The robot also handles his radio (aka MP3 playlist). He went as far as adding a radio tuning sound effect that plays everytime he asks it to change the "station" to a new song. He has a shit ton of commands and answers setup from the tool. It really feels like he has a full fledged EDI/R2-D2 style AI copilot.

This is the coolest shit I have ever seen.
This is amazing, holy crap.
I cant decide if i should buy this game. Like it looks AMAZING. But is there a good variety of things to do? Or do you just go around trading space junk?
I've had the same debate with myself too. It looks so damn cool but I may get bored of it quickly.

Reading about US visas gave me a headache.. I guess Cara has to marry someone at GBEAST to have a chance.

This can be sorted...

8C6Si6tl.png

I named all of my amiibo after stands. This is not relevant to anything, but I've been dying to share this information with people who know what all those words mean.

What should I call the Luigi I bought in yet another moment of personal failure?

I was thinking The World because of his final smash, but they changed it to a dumb vacuum.

help

Luigi is The Moon.

LiK

Anyone they hire also needs to agree to produce video content. That seems to be one of the requirements. Even Patrick had to come up with video stuff to make.

Myggen

Anyone they hire also needs to agree to produce video content. That seems to be one of the requirements. Even Patrick had to come up with video stuff to make.

That's one of the requirements in the job description. Going by the description, the position will be more or less the same as Patrick when he was in SF: (S)he'll be on the GBEast podcast, on live shows, QLs etc.

Patryn

I am going to go all Dan here for a second:

Can someone explain visas to me?

I am assuming if she wanted to visit, it would be really easy and you don't need a visa?

Why is it difficult to get a visa? Isn't "i have a job here" a pretty good reason for our government to say come on in?

I get we can't just open the floodgates. But i don't understand why getting a visa for someone from the UK would be that difficult.

You have to realize that the government has a vested interest in limiting the amount of visas under the thinking that every work visa they issue to a non-citizen means one less job available to a citizen. That's why it's so tough to get one: The company has to demonstrate that the candidate is so uniquely qualified for the position that they were unable to find a US citizen to fill the role.

It's why in any company that sponsors a visa they have to post the job opening and description in a common area, to give people the chance to challenge it and demonstrate that they can fill the position.

However, most companies have gotten really damn good at writing job descriptions so uniquely tailored to a person it's nigh-impossible for anyone else to possibly fit them, as I understand things.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't Cara live in the UK? She would need to leave her family and friends behind for a job in another country, does she even want that?

Patryn

Doesn't Cara live in the UK? She would need to leave her family and friends behind for a job in another country, does she even want that?

I believe she's said that she'd like to find a job in the US. And she's now applied to Giant Bomb twice knowing full well that the position is in the US.

People do it. Danny did it.

Hell, if I had my chance I'd go the opposite direction and leave the US for the UK.

Megasoum

Banned
You have to realize that the government has a vested interest in limiting the amount of visas under the thinking that every work visa they issue to a non-citizen means one less job available to a citizen. That's why it's so tough to get one: The company has to demonstrate that the candidate is so uniquely qualified for the position that they were unable to find a US citizen to fill the role.

It's why in any company that sponsors a visa they have to post the job opening and description in a common area, to give people the chance to challenge it and demonstrate that they can fill the position.

However, most companies have gotten really damn good and writing job descriptions to uniquely tailored to a person it's nigh-impossible for anyone else to possibly fit them, as I understand things.

You mean.... Like asking for a news writter who's also good on camera and fluent in Japanese? Hmmm.... #followthemoney

LiK

I wish there was a GB Boston office. I would apply in a heartbeat. I will gladly be on camera just to work for them. lol

Is there an old podcast or anything where Jeff or any of the other guys have talked about what they thought of Twin Peaks? Just recently finished the series and movie and knowing there have been so many Twin Peaks references from the guys I wondered if there was anywhere where they actually talked about the show and what they thought. Jeff seems to be the guy to reference it the most so it made me curious on what he thought of it overall.

Is there an old podcast or anything where Jeff or any of the other guys have talked about what they thought of Twin Peaks? Just recently finished the series and movie and knowing there have been so many Twin Peaks references from the guys I wondered if there was anywhere where they actually talked about the show and what they thought. Jeff seems to be the guy to reference it the most so it made me curious on what he thought of it overall.

during the Deadly Premonition ER, both Jeff and Ryan point out obvious homages or scenes inspired by Twin Peaks. might want to check that out.

tchocky

You could check the first episode of the Deadly Premonition ER I think they briefly talk about Twin Peaks I recall Brad saying he had never seen it and Ryan had can't remember about Vinny. I know some guy from Chicago watched it for the first time within the last week and seemed to love it. going by twitter.

during the Deadly Premonition ER, both Jeff and Ryan point out obvious homages or scenes inspired by Twin Peaks. might want to check that out.

You could check the first episode of the Deadly Premonition ER I think they briefly talk about Twin Peaks I recall Brad saying he had never seen it and Ryan had can't remember about Vinny. I know some guy from Chicago watched it for the first time within the last week and seemed to love it. going by twitter.

Thanks, I've checked them about a bit, but it was before I watched the show. It may be where I got a lot of the references I'm referring to. I'll probably go back and check them out here soon.

komplanen

I wish there was a GB Boston office. I would apply in a heartbeat. I will gladly be on camera just to work for them. lol

I would cancel my subscription just to tell GB I will only resub if they hire you. But I'm not sure I could hold on for very long so you'd be on your own after a day.

Patryn

Is this just wishful thinking turned into a rumor or is there actual substance to all this talk?

She's replacing Brad, who is leaving.

Does that answer your question?

Seriously, she's a Schrodinger's Cat at the moment. We know she's applied, but we don't know anything else.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wait a minute, does Cara watch Soccer? What's her team?
These are important factors if you want my help.

Cause, not to brag or anything, Rorie once retweeted something I tweeted at him. So I think I have a direct line into the GB offices and may be able so sway them in a certain direction.

Patryn

Oh, I should mention that this weekend I installed and played both Warframe and Star Trek Online because of GB.

Warframe isn't bad, albeit it feels super "loose"?

Star Trek Online almost pains me how much it's squandered potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom