• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

If I'm remembering the timeline right it goes like this -

Jeff-Ryan
Jeff-Ryan-Brad-Vinny
Jeff-Ryan-Brad-Vinny-Patrick
Jeff-Vinny-Drew-Brad
Jeff-Dan-Drew-Brad

I don't think that's entirely correct:

Ryan-Jeff
Ryan-Jeff-Brad-Vinny
Ryan-Jeff-Brad-Vinny-Patrick
Ryan-Jeff-Brad-Vinny (Patrick departs for Chicago prior to Ryan's wedding)
Jeff-Brad-Vinny-Drew (RIP Ryan)
Brad-Jeff-Drew (Vinny leaves for New York)
Brad-Jeff-Drew-Dan

Brad-Jeff-Drew-Dan-Jason (??? Was this past Bombcast the herald of a new lineup???)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

popo

Speaking of, who is the EIC of GS now? Also yeah, that video is hilarious. Was he implying that Jeff still works for GS?

I think they retired the position after Torres left. Even Calvert, who technically had that position, was called Executive Editor or something. I don't think they have one now they gutted the staff. Just a bunch of senior editors reporting to whoever Jeff's boss is (VP of content I am guessing).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've been watching some Game Informer Replays lately and that's kind of what happens in some of them. Giant Bomb really needs a format like that, or use Bombasticas more.

Endurance Runs
. I really do feel they should cover some older games though, as listening to Jeff wax nostalgic about them is great.

Patryn

I've been watching some Game Informer Replays lately and that's kind of what happens in some of them. Giant Bomb really needs a format like that, or use Bombasticas more.

They need to do more Bombasticas. Especially given that we're in for a quiet couple months until we hit March.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The Replays usually have more people in them, though, which I like. It's more of a podcast about the game that's being played.

erawsd

Yeah, I personally wouldn't mind if they took some time off from UPF to try some other formats. UPF often feels like the latter Happy Hours where fatigue had set in and they were just going through the motions.

Zaph

I think they retired the position after Torres left. Even Calvert, who technically had that position, was called Executive Editor or something. I don't think they have one now they gutted the staff. Just a bunch of senior editors reporting to whoever Jeff's boss is (VP of content I am guessing).

Randolph Ramsay is Gamespot's Managing Editor - the boss of all the editorial guys including Kevin. But yeah, they did seem to retire the EiC position. Next level up is Ben Howard (VP of Content, CBSi Games).

Patryn

Yeah, I personally wouldn't mind if they took some time off from UPF to try some other formats. UPF often feels like the latter Happy Hours where fatigue had set in and they were just going through the motions.

Been saying this for a while. I feel like they often think of it as an obligation rather than something fun to do, which kind of dampens the atmosphere.

If they want to keep doing it, I'd ask that they at least plan on the games they want to play prior to Friday afternoon. You can kind of tell when a person just scrambled for whatever game having never tried it before.

tchocky

I think one of the best uses of UPF in the early days was it gave them a chance to look at Early Access games which were too early for a ql but now they have Unfinished. A game like that dodgeball game probably deserves an Unfinished rather than just a segment on UPF.

I think they should just replace UPF with a group Demo Derby, each disc usually has at least 5 demos so everyone could just take turns playing them.

Patryn

I think one of the best uses of UPF in the early days was it gave them a chance to look at Early Access games which were too early for a ql but now they have Unfinished. A game like that dodgeball game probably deserves an Unfinished rather than just a segment on UPF.

I think they should just replace UPF with a group Demo Derby, each disc usually has at least 5 demos so everyone could just take turns playing them.

That's not the worst idea ever, and they certainly have more than enough discs to play through.

Honestly, they might want to think about having a rotating schedule of Friday features so they don't burn out. So one week it's Demo Derby, one week it's UPF, one week it's something else, and then they just cycle back through so things stay fresh for them.

jaina

That would give us more Demo Derby, interesting topics for UPF and nostalgia in a big group. I'd really like that.

erawsd

That's not the worst idea ever, and they certainly have more than enough discs to play through.

Honestly, they might want to think about having a rotating schedule of Friday features so they don't burn out. So one week it's Demo Derby, one week it's UPF, one week it's something else, and then they just cycle back through so things stay fresh for them.

I totally agree, having something a little more focused would work great just like the old TNTs.

Plus it would free up the Saturday premium slot for 3 episodes of mgs every week.

giphy.gif

santeesioux

A Demo Derby every Friday? That would be amazing. I have at least a hundred of them i could send in, but i'm sure they have a copy of every one of them already as i've recognized several they've looked at.

popo

Randolph Ramsay is Gamespot's Managing Editor - the boss of all the editorial guys including Kevin. But yeah, they did seem to retire the EiC position. Next level up is Ben Howard (VP of Content, CBSi Games).

Is Managing Editor over Senior Editor though? I know everything editorial has to go through the ME but in terms of Organisation Charts I would see ME and Senior Editors as separate but equal.

Also Randolph, lol. I wonder if he favours Dolph or Randy for short :D

I'm pretty sure Justin Calvert was the last EIC of Gamespot, and he was laid off last year. Weird that they haven't replaced him. Gamespot seems to be in a weird place right now

Patrick is doing a youtube Q&A tonight if anyone is interested. not sure if it is live or just recorded.

Who?

tchocky

Is Managing Editor over Senior Editor though? I know everything editorial has to go through the ME but in terms of Organisation Charts I would see ME and Senior Editors as separate but equal.

Also Randolph, lol. I wonder if he favours Dolph or Randy for short :D

I would put ME above Senior. I think at GB Dan, Brad and Alex are all senior editors but I imagine Jeff is the managing editor.

tchocky

Looking through the GB guys linkedIn pages Patrick should really rewrite the end of his GB section

Managed the news section of Giant Bomb, a personality-based video game website. Responsible for breaking one of the biggest stories of the last few years, Microsoft's surprise reversal of DRM policies for Xbox One. This quickly became the most popular story the site ever published. Managed a morning-oriented podcast, which eventually became popular enough to sell ads against. Established, maintained, and ran several popular video features, including Spookin' With Scoops (where I'd play the game Speluky) and Spelunkin' With Scoops (where I'd play horror games).

popo

Reading Patrick's stuff has me visiting Kotaku more. It isn't as bad as I remembered, but all the featured stories from other Gawker sites that appear in the sidebars are terrrrrrrrrrible.

This latest one has to be in the running as one of the most Gawker-style headlines of all time.

I would put ME above Senior. I think at GB Dan, Brad and Alex are all senior editors but I imagine Jeff is the managing editor.

Jeff is EIC, at least he has been credited as such. All other editors are senior editors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom