• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
It's cool really.

IombIQh.png

You'd have to contact a mod with a good reason to get your name changed. Member status doesn't effect the process.

I didn't name a reason (which I'll take as a sign that the whole administration agrees with the change).

I should change my name to danryckert.eu

I think you would regret it very quickly

I also think it would be hilarious

Fjordson

Repped GB on the slopes the other day:

Such a warm and comfy hoodie, even after multiple washes
That's dope.

Your post actually reminded me to order a hoodie. I remember trying to buy one like two years ago, but it was sold out, and I guess I just forgot about it until now :lol so thanks!

69 GOD OF WAR LADY LIGHTNING

AcridMeat

Banned
Hahaha Vinny on this old UPF from yesterday, "I played Nine Inch Nails once. They didn't like hearing 'fuck you like an animal' over a kid's birthday party."
I am kinda excited for that. It looks dumb in the right way. Curious how it plays. I have not tried the Injustice game on mobile.
Is this going to be like Contest of Champions? Was pretty cool to hear Jeff try that out, I asked on twitter if he had tried it last month when I first played it.
That's dope.

Your post actually reminded me to order a hoodie. I remember trying to buy one like two years ago, but it was sold out, and I guess I just forgot about it until now :lol so thanks!
Same here. Only $35 too that's not too terrible.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel for GB and GS

Because now they're gonna get a bunch of JOYSTIQ GOT RID OF SCORES DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD WHY SHOULDNT YOU emails.

I feel for GB and GS

Because now they're gonna get a bunch of JOYSTIQ GOT RID OF SCORES DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD WHY SHOULDNT YOU emails.

judging by the fact that the thread for that is full of HOW WILL I KNOW WHAT TO THINK and people saying "well, maybe we can scan their old reviews to use them as a template for interpreting the reviews"

...I wouldn't worry about that happening

edit: why are you like 3 feet tall in CRoD?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
el ciclón from bolivia, aka edward james olmos, is the greatest teacher on film

Myggen

I will never get the hate some people seem to have for review scores. Like okay, the old 100 point system is dumb (what's the difference between a 8.8 and a 8.9?), but a five star system or a 10 point system (at most)? I find that a lot more useful than Kotaku's buy/don't buy system, for example.

edit: why are you like 3 feet tall in CRoD?

Most poorly made first person games seem to have a problem with the height of the character and/or object.

Myggen

Has anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxR9ek176LQ

The guy's role playing as Jeff. Talks about Jeff's firing from GS back in the day as if he didn't explain it when they joined back with CBS then goes on to say all games journalists are on the take. It's really weird.

Heh yeah, I posted that video in this thread some pages back. It's "satire"/parody apparently, but done extremely poorly (and not really satire going by the guy's comments under the video, so fuck if I know). It's one thing to do a bad ethics in journalism video, but it's just so poorly researched.

tchocky

I will never get the hate some people seem to have for review scores. Like okay, the old 100 point system is dumb (what's the difference between a 8.8 and a 8.9?), but a five star system or a 10 point system (at most)? I find that a lot more useful than Kotaku's buy/don't buy system, for example..

I always thought the 5 star system was best but for games I think it results in too many games getting four stars so maybe 10 point scale is better or reviewers have to start being tougher on games.

Volotaire

Alex said:
I have been writing game reviews for more than a decade and I can barely muster a reasonable argument in favor of scoring systems anymore.

Alex said:
Like, I dig the system GB has, but whenever a site says they’re getting rid of them I always just find myself nodding silently in approval.

Alex said:
And whenever I see people angrily deride sites that ditch scoring, that nodding intensifies.

Most poorly made first person games seem to have a problem with the height of the character and/or object.

reminds me of Tom Chick's infamous Killzone 2 review.

In Killzone 2, you play a midget on a rampage.

Okay, you might not technically be a midget, but you are pretty short. It took a while before I wasn't frequently thinking I'd somehow toggled crouch. Your eye level seems to line up with your squadmates' nipples. The other guys are good about not teasing you. They're a talkative bunch, always cussing and expositioning and saying things like "Get up on that tank and mow down those Higs with that em-gee!", but they don't ever bring up your height.

I don't know if being Napoleon-esque is unique to the special review build Sony sent games writers about a month ago. Maybe among the final touches is the main character's growth spurt. But all I've got to go on is what I've been given. Sony's even okay with reviews coming out nearly a month before the game's February 27 release, which means I can talk about much more than their sensitivity to midgets by making a game with a midget lead character.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Heh yeah, I posted that video in this thread some pages back. It's "satire"/parody apparently, but done extremely poorly (and not really satire going by the guy's comments under the video, so fuck if I know). It's one thing to do a bad ethics in journalism video, but it's just so poorly researched.

I usually don't really care about poor research in "funny web videos" but.....it's just not funny. I mean I think it's trying to be funny?
"Haha look at me obviously taking money". That's not really funny anymore. That Gaf IGN gif is funnier and does the same thing in three seconds.

And then it just gets weird. "What did Metacritic rate this game?" What?
"Most fans would agree that Skyward Sword is not that good so everbody who liked it was was paid off" Uh...(I mean I hate Skyward Sword but come on)

It's just a weird thing. I just don't know what the point of it is. It's neither funny nor clever nor interesting. Oh wow, you think sites take money for scores? Never heard this revolutionary opinion before. I just don't get what it's trying to do.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You can vote for Arika characters in that SFV character poll.

Everyone vote Skullomania.

I read at least a page and a half of the thread about that poll without actually looking at the poll, and never once did I properly read "Arika"

I was real confused about why characters from Dan's favorite anime were showing up in Street Fighter.

And Jeff's take:

Jeff said:
Scores/no scores is becoming pointless. Instead ask if your review format still serves readers in a meaningful way.
Jeff said:
Let reviews be reviews and build new content types around it that let you say whatever else you want to say about a game.
Jeff said:
(Reviews are increasingly pointless for the savvy portion of your audience whether you slap a number on them or not.)
Jeff said:
And for people who don’t require a verdict on launch day, the opinion options open up exponentially.
Jeff said:
Essentially what I’m saying is that I’d rather kill the reviews section of our site than take scores off. No half-steps!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'd be fine with Giant Bomb removing reviews if they had a place to talk every week about their feelings on particular games and went into any serious discussion on the game during that time.

Alas.

reviews are pointless

way to go jeff

and so are previews. So at some point, you start to wonder how they expect to bring people to their website who aren't interested in their videos or aren't keeping up with their podcast. Say what you will about Patrick's writing style and topics of choice, at least his pieces helped to bring some new people in who might not come to the site otherwise.

Luckily, Jeff seems to see some point to reviews, but it seems more of a concession to publishers and certain people on the internet than something he really feels is needed.

Myggen

and so are previews. So at some point, you start to wonder how they expect to bring people to their website who aren't interested in their videos or aren't keeping up with their podcast. Say what you will about Patrick's writing style and topics of choice, at least his pieces helped to bring some new people in who might not come to the site otherwise.

Luckily, Jeff seems to see some point to reviews, but it seems more of a concession to publishers and certain people on the internet than something he really feels is needed.

Jeff has said multiple times before that one of the reasons he keeps doing reviews is that it brings traffic to the site that wouldn't visit otherwise, so he sees your point there. And they do bring a lot of traffic, at least they did the last time he spoke about it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
and so are previews. So at some point, you start to wonder how they expect to bring people to their website who aren't interested in their videos or aren't keeping up with their podcast.

I would guess Jeff knows how important/unimportant reviews are for his site.
I know I don't really care about reviews anymore.

Also he didn't say they were pointless in general. Or for the site.
He said they are pointless for the savy audience. Which I would agree on.

Haunted

Even mentioning the possibility of no more reviews?

Alex just broke out in a cold sweat.

edit: they can't get rid of reviews, it would cut them off of publisher-sponsored games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom