• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad doesn't even know what a Shulk is or how to Xenoblade. He assumes that it's over used and rehashed like all of Nintendo's other IP are. If Wonder Red was a character Brad would be like "Whats with all this wonderful 101? Why can't they have characters from other franchises like more Mario characters instead of all these wonderful ones!?"

Their willfull ignorance about all things Nintendo is cute. We all have our gaming weaknesses... by and large, this is Giant Bomb's. Fortunately they're rather aware of this, for the most part.

It does get sorta grating hearing their opinions on Nintendo's "continued milking of franchises" while they're later praising creatively bankrupt franchises from big publishers.

Jintor

i hope this is a classic case of 'gb thread freaks out over something, i watch the video, it's not that bad'

still

pre-emptive sad

Nishastra

Banned
Their willfull ignorance about all things Nintendo is cute. We all have our gaming weaknesses... by and large, this is Giant Bomb's. Fortunately they're rather aware of this, for the most part.

It does get sorta grating hearing their opinions on Nintendo's "continued milking of franchises" while they're later praising creatively bankrupt franchises from big publishers.
My favorite thing is how it turns out that Brad hasn't even touched half of the games he seems to have this opinion of.

On some 3DS Smash content or another, I remember him being shocked to discover that Master Hand exists. The boss of every game in the series, who is featured prominently in the intro to the original game. Then there's his admitted less-than-one-hour total playtime of Majora's Mask, the fact that he hasn't touched a Mario Kart game since 64, never played Sunshine at all (and until last year hadn't played Galaxy at all either), and hadn't played a Zelda game since Wind Waker until ALBW.

Jintor

I kinda understand it. I truly believe you can get a pretty good feel for whether or not you like a game based on a pretty short amount of time with it. No-one should have to play a game in its entirety just to determine if you like it. (Unless you're being paid)

On the other hand, I also feel at that point you should recognise that you don't particularly have a great level of information to base a... well, not sure what the right word is. Valid? Substantial? A comprehensive opinion of a game, if you didn't actually play it. It's like assessing a book based off a blurb, or the first chapter, or something. I mean... sure, you might be able to tell off the bat if you're going to be interested in the book. But can you really critique it without actually reading it? Seems unlikely.

hamchan

The general feeling of apathy that surrounds Giant Bomb in regards to modern Nintendo is one of the more disappointing aspects of the site.

It'll be especially disappointing this year when a relatively creatively bankrupt game like Mordor, with just one great aspect in the Nemesis system (which only really shows its full potential when you're bad at the game and die a lot, so perfect fit for Giant Bomb), gets the site GOTY.

Meanwhile Nintendo is over to the side in a very weak year for everyone else, putting out some pretty amazing titles. I'll be especially interested to see how Dan justifies putting Mordor over something like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, which i'm pretty sure he has stated is one of the best platformers he has ever played.

Of course, they are who they are, they like what they like, and that's part of what makes the crew so appealing. It's just one of the things I can look at as a fan and say "what a shame".

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
... the Nemesis system (which only really shows its full potential when you're bad at the game and die a lot

Yeah I was expecting more from this system from all the praise it had gotten, only to realise it would make very little impact on my playthrough because I only died twice to a named enemy, one of those times because an execution didn't... execute when I hit the buttons, and ended up getting overwhelmed. Not a very challenging game.

FluxWaveZ

A3BZfec.gif

Well, Mordor makes a good first impression before falling to pieces partway through. It is a great core of a game that Monolith completely fails to utilise throughout the game. The Nemesis System is fantastic, but it is almost another game in itself... one that is far too inconsequential, short, and broken. Worst of all, the meat of the game - the story missions - become increasingly horrible, with collections there solely to have you spend more time with it.

I haven't played any Assassin's Creed game, but, compared to the Arkham games - even the poor Origins - Mordor completely fails to take advantage of what makes the game good. Arkham Asylum, City, and less so Origins, managed to fully utilise their mechanics throughout the game - both in the world and in the missions.

The more I think about it, the more let down I am by Shadow of Mordor.

popo

Actual conversation with my father.

Dad : Maldonado is on fire.

Me : Who did he overtake?

Dad . No, he is ON FIRE!

Me : <Moves to where I can see the TV. See him calmly walking away from a burning car>. Fucking Pastor Maldonado.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
To say the Nemesis system only shows it's full potential when you die is completely ignoring the Domination aspect.

It's still completly true though. If you never die the Nemesis system is a fun little distraction.
Also Smash Bros is the only fighting game I would ever touch. Not into the genre at all, but I love Smash.
Kinda funny cause I also dislike racing games, yet love Mario Kart (and Flatout 2). I guess I just don't like "serious" Fighting Games/Racing games

I think you guys may be underselling the nemesis system a bit but then again, the reviews made it out to be the greatest thing ever so perhaps expectations were too high. I really do feel like it has added a layer to interacting with open world games that wasn't there before. Shadow of Mordor was the first time I actually played an open world game beyond finishing it 100%. Not that I played it for hours afterwards mind you but in every other game, once all the missions are done, there's nothing left.

Fucking around in GTA, for example, is the same experience every time so as detailed as the world is, there isn't much there beyond the main missions. I played Mordor twice but I kept seeing very unique orcs pop up, and although you're right that you have to die to fully experience it, there's still plenty of fun to have messing with that hierarchy. Plus, the orcs coming back to life with a battle scar is pretty cool when it randomly happens. Yea, the story missions really could have been better but I thought the nemesis system was the meat of the game and was really fun once you got branding. It's not the greatest game ever but the nemesis system is something new that we can literally say is a next gen gameplay mechanic since the last gen versions aren't capable of it. Certainly more interesting than just putting prettier graphics on a familiar formula.

i hope this is a classic case of 'gb thread freaks out over something, i watch the video, it's not that bad'

still

pre-emptive sad

I actually like the Quick Look a lot, if only for Brad actually playing a fairly decent Ganondorf for someone who has no idea how to play Smash Bros.

Halberd is allowed in Brawl and probably will be in Wii U, right? It has a hazard but is so easily avoided that nobody really minds.

Is Skyloft being allowed? It feels like it's like a new Isle Delfino where it does have walk offs but only temporarily enough that it doesn't really matter.

Skyloft will probably end up legal. Delfino is back, of course, so that's legal, and like you say they're practically the same stage.

I can see Halberd getting kicked back to banned, because that laser cannon and the grabbing arm are incredibly intrusive, even if they are easily avoided (and there's not telling when you might get thrown into it anyway).

I wouldn't say GTA feels the same everytime at all, it's the detail and physics that add up to make it the only truly dynamic open world game out there. You can be sitting in traffic when a gunfight breaks out because of a traffic pile up or just driving around when you come across one of the several dozen "random events"(which unless you look up, will be just that) I spent more than ten hours in GTA V just driving around which I've never done in any other game.

My favorite thing is how it turns out that Brad hasn't even touched half of the games he seems to have this opinion of.

On some 3DS Smash content or another, I remember him being shocked to discover that Master Hand exists. The boss of every game in the series, who is featured prominently in the intro to the original game. Then there's his admitted less-than-one-hour total playtime of Majora's Mask, the fact that he hasn't touched a Mario Kart game since 64, never played Sunshine at all (and until last year hadn't played Galaxy at all either), and hadn't played a Zelda game since Wind Waker until ALBW.
This is the aspect of the site that really frustrates me. To be honest I am a massive fan of Nintendo's games but I can understand differences in opinion but the very strong ones expressed without any actual foundation is frustrating and makes me respect them a bit less. I mean really, how can Brad hate games he hasn't played or be mad that Xenoblade is included in Smash? *Shrug*

Not to mention the weird "I'm so glad I never owned a Wii*"(*but I just took the office wii home to play its games) attitude expressed in the Smash quick look.

KingKong

Mordor had the worst open world, main missions and side content of any open world game I've played since like Crackdown 2 and the Nemesis system was only fun until you got so many upgrades and abilities that it was basically impossible to die

I wouldn't say GTA feels the same everytime at all, it's the detail and physics that add up to make it the only truly dynamic open world game out there. You can be sitting in traffic when a gunfight breaks out because of a traffic pile up or just driving around when you come across one of the several dozen "random events"(which unless you look up, will be just that) I spent more than ten hours in GTA V just driving around which I've never done in any other game.

I suppose it's subjective because I was never really impressed with that stuff in GTA although I do really like the games bar IV. It's just random mayhem with faceless people. Then again, Mordor is just stabbing a bunch of random orcs so maybe all video games suck.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
You already caught a ban for this in the last thread, so I'd suggest letting it go.

Well, if i get banned again I could always just create a new account and make friends with the other mods and then even get to be a mod myself! Or is that rude?

daydream

Banned
Not to mention the weird "I'm so glad I never owned a Wii*"(*but I just took the office wii home to play its games) attitude expressed in the Smash quick look.

Yeah, I was baffled by that. Not the "I didn't own a Wii" part, of course, but the part where Brad was taking pride in it (or maybe I misunderstood the "and I feel great about it" part?).

Zomba13

Yeah, I was baffled by that. Not the "I didn't own a Wii" part, of course, but the part where Brad was taking pride in it (or maybe I misunderstood the "and I feel great about it" part?).

Well the Wii was a stupid casual machine with waggle and no games. I mean what? It had Wii Sports for your grandparents? Why would you own one of those?

Did you know Alex was going to sell bard his wii for 30 bucks. Ryan wanted to steal it off him though.

Well the Wii was a stupid casual machine with waggle and no games. I mean what? It had Wii Sports for your grandparents? Why would you own one of those?

To play those Zelda games they've been churning out for years, of course.

We'll never know why people speak so highly of such a creatively bankrupt series.
/s
Well, if i get banned again I could always just create a new account and make friends with the other mods and then even get to be a mod myself! Or is that rude?
I'm sure this wonder gif is relevant in some context. It always is, in the end.
0339_9zjxp.gif

Actual conversation with my father.

Dad : Maldonado is on fire.

Me : Who did he overtake?

Dad . No, he is ON FIRE!

Me : <Moves to where I can see the TV. See him calmly walking away from a burning car>. Fucking Pastor Maldonado.

I am going to be sad that Alt F1 will be coming to an end for a few months.

Halberd is allowed in Brawl and probably will be in Wii U, right? It has a hazard but is so easily avoided that nobody really minds.

Probably? The music on that stage is the best in the game so I'd certainly hope so.

If they were aware of it, then they'd try to stop doing it.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, but I don't think Fountain of Dreams is in Smash 4 unless I haven't unlocked it yet.

But on that stage you have the Legendary Air Ride Machine, Gourmet Race remix, and 02 Battle remix. That last one alone I could listen to all day.

Ah ok, I was referring to Melee/Brawl. Still waiting for Sm4sh (although it's probably not a day 1 purchase for me).

demidar

Yeah, but I don't think Fountain of Dreams is in Smash 4 unless I haven't unlocked it yet.

But on that stage you have the Legendary Air Ride Machine, Gourmet Race remix, and 02 Battle remix. That last one alone I could listen to all day.

Out of left field, I played on Onett constantly because that's where Pollyanna plays. It's such a nice song.

Bloodborne is been rushed out at the end of a Q, cause Sony cannot take a financial hit to delay it any further, and people are expecting a good game?

Alot of people will be hurt come March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom