• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
I hope they will fix the youtube uploader soon cause the GB Player is just complete crap when I'm at work. It's annoying to have to download the files everytime.

I'm trying to rationalize my anger at the n3DS situation in NA with the fact that I'm probably going to use the money I saved on amiibo.

I have names picked out.

Charizard = Scary Monster
Lucina = Cream Starter
Pac-Man = Cream
Ness = Burning Down the House
Wario = Harvest

Megasoum

Banned
I'm trying to rationalize my anger at the n3DS situation in NA with the fact that I'm probably going to use the money I saved on amiibo.

I have names picked out.

Charizard = Scary Monster
Lucina = Cream Starter
Pac-Man = Cream
Ness = Burning Down the House
Wario = Harvest

What is the issue exactly?

What is the issue exactly?

Imagine that the New 3DS situation is similar to the iphone 6 situation, where there are 2 new and better systems: one is like the 6 where it's not a large monster and the other is like the 6+, where it is very much a large monster. In this case, the 3ds that is like the 6 can have face plates or something i don't care about.

well, nintendo decided to not bring over the iphone 6 and is only bringing over their iphone 6+ version of the new 3ds. i think that's what's going on. I kinda want the bigger machine myself, so that's fine by me but this seems to be making some people upset.

honestly the only news i care about is that you can play wii games on the gamepad now

thats worth so much to me

yeah, but only Wii games with Classic controller support can be played directly on the Gamepad. Otherwise, you're gonna need a wiimote. kinda sucks since games like Punch Out barely use the wiimote yet they'll be unplayable without it.

Myggen

Imagine that the New 3DS situation is similar to the iphone 6 situation, where there are 2 new and better systems: one is like the 6 where it's not a large monster and the other is like the 6+, where it is very much a large monster. In this case, the 3ds that is like the 6 can have face plates or something i don't care about.

well, nintendo decided to not bring over the iphone 6 and is only bring over their iphone 6+ version of the new 3ds. i think that's what's going on. I kinda want the bigger machine myself, so that's fine by me but this seems to be making some people upset.

Yeah, exactly.

Also, I see that Dan got Dolphin to work. The Galaxy games running in Dolphin just show how well those games holds up visually (and in every other way, really).

"Any game where you walk up to a toilet and press a button and it makes a flushing sound, I like"

- Dan Ryckert

Well he has a point.

Duke Nukem Forever is probably the only bad game I can think of with functioning toilets.

9 times out of 10 Functioning toilets and mirrors are hallmarks of a decent game.

Zaph

I felt like this thread needed Iwata idle animations.

Quc5bow.gif
Y1HXDIh.gif

Well he has a point.

Duke Nukem Forever is probably the only bad game I can think of with functioning toilets.

9 times out of 10 Functioning toilets and mirrors are hallmarks of a decent game.

If you can play DNF like it's a lost FPS from around 2000 - 2003, it's not the worst thing ever. It's at least as enjoyable (if not more so) than Doom 3, for which i bought a 6800GT just for and basically godmode-d my way through the final 2/3s of the game as it was quickly become tedious and unfun.

The problem with DNF is that it came out a decade too late in many senses: game design, story, political correctness, etc. It's the drunk misogynistic racist uncle that you suffer every thanksgiving, who you know means well and isn't a complete piece of shit of a human being but just seems stuck in his time.

That's amazingly silly. I love it. Is that why the camera space is extra wide and oblong?

yup!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If you can play DNF like it's a lost FPS from around 2000 - 2003, it's not the worst thing ever. It's at least as enjoyable (if not more so) than Doom 3, for which i bought a 6800GT just for and basically godmode-d my way through the final 2/3s of the game as it was quickly become tedious and unfun.

The problem with DNF is that it came out a decade too late in many senses: game design, story, political correctness, etc. It's the drunk misogynistic racist uncle that you suffer every thanksgiving, who you know means well and isn't a complete piece of shit of a human being but just seems stuck in his time.

yup!

I can't come up with even a single scenario where I'd want to do that. Like, some weird situation where I'm stranded without a display (but with my gamepad stand, or a third hand, or something) but desperately want to play a pointer game from a weird distance on a tiny screen, and yet here we are with the option.

But the ability to turn off the gamepad screen while playing? Who the hell would want to do that?

DNF felt like it was a lost game from that launch 360 / post Half Life 2 era of shooters.

I totally didnt hate it as much as a lot of people did. I completed it! I have almost bought the new single player DLC a few times as well because apparently that shit is the real ending to the game that was in the 3DR leaked docs that came out after they fired everyone but Gearbox took it out and sold it for extra.

I need to play Prey and compare it against DNF some time.

Myggen

Late listening to Bombcast, Ellar Coltrane from Boyhood could be a Giant Bomb fan? Whoa.

This forum post from 5 years ago has someone called Ellar Coltrane...: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/whats-your-name-264230/?page=3

Post 114 specifically.

Yeah, that's probably him.

I would argue that no game from that era (2000-2003) had anything as vile as that alien rape level. That's just on another level of disgusting shit to me, and one of the few times I've actually gotten a bit sick from a piece of entertainment. I did laugh at the GB guys' (Vinny and Jeff? Or maybe Ryan and Jeff?) reaction to that shit in the QL though.

I never had as much an issue with DNF. It had some bad mashups of old and new mechanics, but I personally kind of liked the level design and first-person platforming never bothered me. I kinda liked the multiplayer too, like the unlock system where you're filling out your mansion.

Fjordson

I can't come up with even a single scenario where I'd want to do that. Like, some weird situation where I'm stranded without a display (but with my gamepad stand, or a third hand, or something) but desperately want to play a pointer game from a weird distance on a tiny screen, and yet here we are with the option.

But the ability to turn off the gamepad screen while playing? Who the hell would want to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTLRdP9oOfw

I never had as much an issue with DNF. It had some bad mashups of old and new mechanics, but I personally kind of liked the level design and first-person platforming never bothered me. I kinda liked the multiplayer too, like the unlock system where you're filling out your mansion.

I mean it's not a great game but I managed to play through the entire thing without getting mad or bored. pretty harmless all things considered. Better than Colonial Marines which I could not push myself through, despite multiple attempts.

Should I feel bad about cheating in Talos Principle? What?!

I think I'm out on Klepek's new site...

i thought it would be about actual cheating

like a solution the developers didnt intend or didnt mean to be immediately obvious or by bending the rules

thats actually encouraged in the game with some really clever shit

its about him feeling bad about looking up a guide on how to beat some of the puzzles

who cares

Megasoum

Banned
I kinda want to play a good Tetris game these days but not enough for paying like 60$ for a Japanese only game. Especially since I would never play multiplayer and I don't really care for the puyo puyo part.

I just wish there was a good old standard Tetris game available.

i thought it would be about actual cheating

like a solution the developers didnt intend or didnt mean to be immediately obvious or by bending the rules

thats actually encouraged in the game with some really clever shit

its about him feeling bad about looking up a guide on how to beat some of the puzzles

who cares

The idea to even think about that is absolutely baffling, let alone writing something to address it.

I'm really disappointed I don't even have the chance to get the n3DS with customizable faceplates but oh well. Gotta replace my OG 3DS anyway. I had my heart set to replacing it with an XL for a long time until the n3DS was a thing.

I kinda want to play a good Tetris game these days but not enough for paying like 60$ for a Japanese only game. Especially since I would never play multiplayer and I don't really care for the puyo puyo part.

Boom.

daydream

Banned

Tetris DS is pure bliss.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm really disappointed I don't even have the chance to get the n3DS with customizable faceplates but oh well. Gotta replace my OG 3DS anyway. I had my heart set to replacing it with an XL for a long time until the n3DS was a thing.

Boom.

No hold, no fast drop, no shadow... Bleh

Tetris DS is pure bliss.

I agree... It's amazing... But I kinda don't want to dust off my old DS lol.

Edit: On a unrelated note... Watching randomly old quicklooks. Going back to 360p youtube videos is NOT easy...yuk.

AcridMeat

Banned
I like tetrisfriends. It has a bunch of different variants too.

Finishing up the Spherecast finally. I was hoping there would be more discussion of philosophical ideas and not just go point by point and compare it with the movie. But I haven't really done a book club so maybe this is standard.

komplanen

Just deleted two fully written (albeit small) posts about Patrick and Kotaku and I think I'll just let it go. I bet he sees the big picture better than I so that's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom