• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

idov1Wn.png

Racing Games.
Racing Games.
Racing Games.
Racing Games.
Racing Games.
Racing Games.Racing Games.

Racing Games.
Racing Games.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gamespot has been podcast-less since the last round of layoffs and I'm surprised they went so long without it. I don't watch any of their video stuff, but I might be inclined to listen to a podcast anyway.

Boyhood is the most overrated film in years in my view. The gimmick of filming it over a decade is cool, but it's a standard, mediocre film about growing up.

it's almost like they were just making things up as they went along or something.

it's going to win best picture and that annoys me because it's not the best movie of 2014. people love gimmicks, especially the useless twits that vote for the Oscars who don't even always watch the movies they vote for.

daydream

Banned
Jeez, Reuniclus is the cell Pokemon, not the fetus Pokemon, thank you very much.

it's like a creepy fetus monster baby thing out of binding of isaac covered in jelly

qed

it's almost like they were just making things up as they went along or something.

it's going to win best picture and that annoys me because it's not the best movie of 2014. people love gimmicks, especially the useless twits that vote for the Oscars who don't even always watch the movies they vote for.

just treat the oscars like GB's gotycasts and you'll be so much happier

out of curiosity, what would be your pick?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reuniculus is actually totally rad. Since its body is small and weak it uses its psychic powers to control the gel around him by turning them into his limbs.

Don't be dissing reuniculus.

daydream

Banned
Reuniculus is actually totally rad. Since its body is small and weak it uses its psychic powers to control the gel around him by turning them into his limbs.

Don't be dissing reuniculus.

well, i was only arguing for reuniclus' fetus-like qualities

it can be a rad fetus, that's fine

That is exactly what they did... they only knew how it would end.

I know, it was sarcasm.

just treat the oscars like GB's gotycasts and you'll be so much happier

out of curiosity, what would be your pick?

It's hard to do that though because the stakes are different and because the whole process is more obtuse.

My personal tastes aren't going to line up with any major organization's awards, but my 5 personal favorites of the year were

- Under the Skin
- Blue Ruin (official release date is listed as 2013 but that was only in festivals)
- Inherent Vice
- Nymphomaniac (both volumes, director's cut version)
- Enemy

Birdman was also very good. As far as movies that I think would have a chance at winning best picture that are better than Boyhood:

- Birdman
- The Theory of Everything
- Selma
- The Imitation Game

Myggen

Enemy is fantastic. A shame that only about ten people watched that movie.

Inherent Vice is probably the biggest dissapointment of the year for me. Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favourite directors, but I haven't really liked his last two movies now.

Megasoum

Banned
So huh... if you take that:

2015-01-1508-38-44_dapusrj.png

And consider the fact that Dan says at the end of the podcast that he will be announcing a new premium series very soon...

I guess they are doing a podcast together.

If true then this is really cool... I just hope that it won't be anything wrestling related. It's starting to bug me just how much wrestling has taken over the site and the podcast. Every single conversation always end up talking about that... Gets annoying.

Xater

I know, it was sarcasm.

It's hard to do that though because the stakes are different and because the whole process is more obtuse.

My personal tastes aren't going to line up with any major organization's awards, but my 5 personal favorites of the year were

- Under the Skin
- Blue Ruin (official release date is listed as 2013 but that was only in festivals)
- Inherent Vice
- Nymphomaniac (both volumes, director's cut version)
- Enemy

Birdman was also very good. As far as movies that I think would have a chance at winning best picture that are better than Boyhood:

- Birdman
- The Theory of Everything
- Selma
- The Imitation Game

Everything I have heard about Nymphomaniac make it sound terrible. I don#t even know if von trier is serious anymore. Melancholia was the last film of his i have watched and then I already though the jumped the shark. When I wasn't bored I had to laugh at how dumb it all was. Then again I am probably in the minority that actually like Antichrist.

Enemy is fantastic. A shame that only about ten people watched that movie.

Inherent Vice is probably the biggest dissapointment of the year for me. Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favourite directors, but I haven't really liked his last two movies now.

9 out of those 10 people didn't understand Enemy and are very angry about it. See the amazon reviews or the IMDB boards.

On a scale of PTA movies, Vice is somewhere near the middle, but I thought it was a fantastic adaptation of the material, and the performances were incredible. Brolin deserves an oscar for supporting actor.

Everything I have heard about Nymphomaniac make it sound terrible.

Here's where my opinion gets a little weird. I think it's a highly flawed movie that is super inconsistent in quality and "punch," but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it to be one of the most fascinating and memorable things I've seen all year. It may not be "good" but it's definitely one of my favorite movie watching experiences of the year.

Melancholia was incredible.

So huh... if you take that:

2015-01-1508-38-44_dapusrj.png

And consider the fact that Dan says at the end of the podcast that he will be announcing a new premium series very soon...

I guess they are doing a podcast together.

If true then this is really cool... I just hope that it won't be anything wrestling related. It's starting to bug me just how much wrestling has taken over the site and the podcast. Every single conversation always end up talking about that... Gets annoying.

stunner3.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

popo

Gamespot has been podcast-less since the last round of layoffs and I'm surprised they went so long without it. I don't watch any of their video stuff, but I might be inclined to listen to a podcast anyway.

I am not sure who the gamespot audience is, but it seems, based on traffic, that they don't like podcasts or any live video - or articles longer than a few paragraphs I would guess.

I suspect it is a younger transient audience that just grazes sites like kotaku, IGN and Gamespot with little allegiance. They are more likely to be passionate about their favourite youtube channel.

Where do you guys find the time to stay up to date on movies? I'm usually a year late on all that stuff.

Weekends. I also suspect it's easier in the states than some other places just because it's so easy to see just about anything you want at any time.

oh and nominations are out

no Lego Movie is just further proof that the academy have no idea what they're doing. And American Sniper was a pile of crap.

The wrestling talk doesn't bother me but that's also because i grew up with wrestling in the 90s, which is unquestionably the best era of wrestling ever. So it's basically like someone talking about saturday morning cartoons all of the time. I don't watch them anymore, but i have a fondness for the topic given that it was such a heavy part of my youth.

i wonder if the people being bothered by wrestling are 90s babies, euro-folk, or a possible combo of both. i'd like to see the venn diagram of it, it would be fascinating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I am not sure who the gamespot audience is, but it seems, based on traffic, that they don't like podcasts or any live video - or articles longer than a few paragraphs I would guess.

I suspect it is a younger transient audience that just grazes sites like kotaku, IGN and Gamespot with little allegiance. They are more likely to be passionate about their favourite youtube channel.
Honestly, I wonder who listened to the Kevin van Ord version of the podcast. I know I did, but that's because I liked him, Petit and McShea and the fact that they just had a very different perspective on games that didn't really exist in the bigger outlets.

But I guess the current GS audience is probably less engaged than the IGN audience. Certainly, I don't think GS fans would pay anyone at GS 15k a month to go off and make their own shows anyway.

The wrestling talk doesn't bother me but that's also because i grew up with wrestling in the 90s, which is unquestionably the best era of wrestling ever. So it's basically like someone talking about saturday morning cartoons all of the time. I don't watch them anymore, but i have a fondness for the topic given that it was such a heavy part of my youth.

i wonder if the people being bothered by wrestling are 90s babies, euro-folk, or a possible combo of both. i'd like to see the venn diagram of it, it would be fascinating.
i had a lot of friends growing up who watched it

i just never did

didnt watch power rangers either

its just goofy so much time is spent on that nonsense

brad doesnt relate every single topic of conversation to whatever he read on iflscience or dota

variety is the spice of life

Weekends. I also suspect it's easier in the states than some other places just because it's so easy to see just about anything you want at any time.

oh and nominations are out

no Lego Movie is just further proof that the academy have no idea what they're doing. And American Sniper was a pile of crap.
Lego Movie was way better than Big Hero 6 and this is coming from somebody who loves pretty much every Marvel movie. I honestly thought it was a shoe in for best animated movie. That's insane.

Danny's said they're working on bringing back a podcast sometime soon

it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. they've got Danny/Mary and some other okay people who could make a good line-up, but if they try to keep shuffling the cast around or something I can't see it working out. trying to include basically everyone in the office seemed like one of the big reasons why their US extra life stream didn't work out at all this year, so hopefully they've learned from that.

Patryn

I suspect they're mostly interested in reviews and previews.

Zaph

Danny's said they're working on bringing back a podcast sometime soon

it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. they've got Danny/Mary and some other okay people who could make a good line-up, but if they try to keep shuffling the cast around or something I can't see it working out.

Danny/Mary/Peter/Alexa are all solid, that ex-WM video producer guy can hang out too if he wants.

If Chris Watters even enters the podcast room, burn the whole thing down.

Lego Movie was way better than Big Hero 6 and this is coming from somebody who loves pretty much every Marvel movie. I honestly thought it was a shoe in for best animated movie. That's insane.

Big Hero 6 was a completely bland and cookie cutter story. It was done well and I liked it, but overall it was pretty bland.

People sure are freaking out about the Lego Movie not getting nominated. I though it was okay, wasn't exactly a world beater in my eyes.

It was a fun movie, but i think the fact that they somehow made a movie about plastic blocks actually entertaining. Nevertheless, BH6 and HTTYD2 were both much better movies, can't speak to the other nominated films for that category but i would put those 2 films above Lego without hesitation.

People sure are freaking out about the Lego Movie not getting nominated. I though it was okay, wasn't exactly a world beater in my eyes.

the faux-stop motion animation was fantastic, the story was super charming, it was a legitimately funny all-ages movie. It's not some grand achievement of art, but man, it was good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm surprised Kaguyahime got nominated. It almost feels like the token Ghibli pick, since people probably don't even know that Miyazaki didn't direct it. lol

popo

What was that "Drew's Knob Feel" thing that was going around last week? I assumed it was a joke on UPF but don't remember anything now I caught up.

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom