• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
I'm not a fan of PAX...

I get that the guys want to interract with the community and all that and that's great but 99% of the site's fans come out on the loosing side of the whole deal.

We loose over a week (sometimes closer to 2 weeks even) of content minimum for a 2-3 hours panel (including at least 30min of really cringeworthy Q&A).

And now PAX keeps coming out with new expos. We're up to 3 times a year now.

I know that Jeff often talked about that problem and I'm sure he's doing its best but it's still a real bummer for the rest of us.

tchocky

I'm not a fan of PAX...

I get that the guys want to interract with the community and all that and that's great but 99% of the site's fans come out on the loosing side of the whole deal.

We loose over a week (sometimes closer to 2 weeks even) of content minimum for a 2-3 hours panel (including at least 30min of really cringeworthy Q&A).

I know that Jeff often talked about that problem and I'm sure he's doing its best but it's still a real bummer for the rest of us.

I have no interest in the panels at all but I would be fine if it was just once a year but it is now three a year with the second one at the beginning of March.

Myggen

I'm not a fan of PAX...

I'm with you that three seems excessive. I'm totally okay with two of those breaks, especially when we get the PAX Royal Rumble from East and Prime, but three? I get that they want to go to South this year, being the first year of the event, but I hope they scale it down to two PAX events next year. Especially when it's in January which makes it so they go to PAX just as they get back into the groove of things content-wise.

Megasoum

Banned
What are the alternatives for GB to interact with the fans ? That is the reason why PAX is great.

...Yes? That's what I said in my post...

The problem is not them taking time to interract with the community. The problem is the other 99% of the community that doesn't get any content for almost 2 weeks.

hamchan

The two week content drought whenever PAX happens is a big problem they have to solve somehow, especially if they want to go to even more PAXs. Perhaps more pre-recorded content? Perhaps they could do like a let's play of a long JRPG and release it daily?

It's called Brad's Extra Life stream where he plays an hour or two of Wind Waker every year. Maybe by Extra Life 2030 he'll have finished the game.

UGHHHHHHHH

I need Brad playing Mario Sunshine and getting pissed off and Dan sitting back and going "it's great. it's great" every couple minutes

Myggen

The two week content drought whenever PAX happens is a big problem they have to solve somehow, especially if they want to go to even more PAXs. Perhaps more pre-recorded content? Perhaps they could do like a let's play of a long JRPG and release it daily?

Yeah, doing something like what Dan and Drew did with the three pre-recorded episodes of MGScanlon would go a long way.

Zaph

I'm with you that three seems excessive. I'm totally okay with two of those breaks, especially when we get the PAX Royal Rumble from East and Prime, but three? I get that they want to go to South this year, being the first year of the event, but I hope they scale it down to two PAX events next year. Especially when it's in January which makes it so they go to PAX just as they get back into the groove of things content-wise.

Yup, and combine that with GDC and E3, it really hurts regular content for the first half of the year, given the prep and recovery time.

Not sure what Vinny, Alex and [new hire] plans are for travelling to those 5 events, but maybe GBeast picks up the slack for the stuff they don't go to?

Haunted

I have decided! They shall podcast about this...

uS13j5i.jpg

It fits well, and they are not forced to podcast weekly either.

UFC is getting big in Ireland now too - thanks to McGregor.

Danny has Tweeted some about UFC at times in tthe past

Dan (not Drew...) also seems to have more interest in UFC due to Punk these day

Dan/Danny UFC Podcast GO!
Holy shit Siver gets to co-headline an event?

*singletear

He's gonna get wrecked.

Myggen

Yup, and combine that with GDC and E3, it really hurts regular content for the first half of the year, given the prep and recovery time.

Not sure what Vinny, Alex and [new hire] plans are for travelling to those 5 events, but maybe GBeast picks up the slack for the stuff they don't go to?

I have no problem with GDC and E3 because I consider the content coming out of those events to be well worth it, and the lead up time to GDC is never very long (they don't have to travel).

But yeah, more regular content is always a good thing, so I hope they can work around the content droughts, especially for PAX.

Frenden

Banned
Remind me to tell you guys about the time I was in the UFC octagon after the GSP/Diaz fight and put my friend in a submission right where the carnage happened.

I have photos I will never legally be allowed to share, haha.

Curufinwe

I'm not a fan of PAX...

We loose

lose.

I agree with you, though. And now it's worse than ever with three American PAXes every year.

I hope one of the premium content ideas Dan's got in mind involves forcing Brad to finally play through the entirety of Super Mario Galaxy, since he's never played it (I think?).

And then SMG 2. And Sunshine too.

tchocky

I hope one of the premium content ideas Dan's got in mind involves forcing Brad to finally play through the entirety of Super Mario Galaxy, since he's never played it (I think?).

And then SMG 2. And Sunshine too.

He played SMG on his 2013 extra life stream, I think he got about 8 stars.

I know I'm late to the party on this guys and y'all went through this a few pages back, but what are my import options for getting Puyo Puyo Tetris on Xbox One here in the UK? Haven't imported in a good while, is Play-Asia still a good bet or are there better options these days?

LiK

I know I'm late to the party on this guys and y'all went through this a few pages back, but what are my import options for getting Puyo Puyo Tetris on Xbox One here in the UK? Haven't imported in a good while, is Play-Asia still a good bet or are there better options these days?

P-A is fine but I also recommend AmiAmi. Both sites don't allow cancellations so make sure you want it.

popo

Not sure who had the bright idea to sign off on Jason's vacatIon the same week as PAX, leaving them with no producers for several days.

Also has George Broussard ever surfaced since DNF shipped?

Is he still technically a employee of whatever shell company 3D Realms is these days or did everyone bail by now?

Last I heard he was having some health issues. Not sure what he's been up to lately, but the guy always seemed to know when people were getting laid off.

Bacon

Lol I love how Drew tried to describe Jason's cord coiling technique on the podcast. Everyone in the room knew that would not go well.

Just watched the QL so re-posting this for the last time in here before moving it to b/s/t. (Sorry if its annoying) I have 2 copies of Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball left from a 4-pack I bought last week. Looking for $6.50 paypal each. PM if interested.

1. Zaph
2. giant_frying_pan

Mully

I've thought about applying for GBEAST, but I was a bit crazy when I met Vinny last year and I'm scared his impression will ruin any chance of getting a job there. Also I'd like to be a war correspondent and video games won't get me there even though I do a pretty good job at reporting video game stories. Particularly exclusive, feature length, Patrick-style stories.

Patrick and podcasts like Radiolab, This American Life, and RISK!, convinced me to find my own content, with that said, I'm too young and don't have many industry contacts right now.

Whoever they get, they're going to be enthusiastic and full of experience and I wish them the best of luck. GB is a weird place, especially for reporting news day to day and I'm not sure if it's something anyone can do longterm given the popularity of livestreams, glorified "Let's Plays," and 1UP inspired Broken Pixel Content.

Is it wrong of me to say I'm not interested in reporting on video games full time even though I listen and watch GB at least 20 hours a week; on top of reading Reddit and GAF for content and context?

jaina

I've thought about applying for GBEAST, but I was a bit crazy when I met Vinny last year and I'm scared his impression will ruin any chance of getting a job there. Also I'd like to be a war correspondent and video games won't get me there even though I do a pretty good job at reporting video game stories. Particularly exclusive, feature length, Patrick-style stories.

Patrick and podcasts like Radiolab, This American Life, and RISK!, convinced me to find my own content, with that said, I'm too young and don't have many industry contacts right now.

Whoever they get, they're going to be enthusiastic and full of experience and I wish them the best of luck. GB is a weird place, especially for reporting news day to day and I'm not sure if it's something anyone can do longterm given the popularity of livestreams, glorified "Let's Plays," and 1UP inspired Broken Pixel Content.

Is it wrong of me to say I'm not interested in reporting on video games full time even though I listen and watch GB at least 20 hours a week; on top of reading Reddit and GAF for content and context?

sounds reasonable that you don't want to diminish your enjoyment of video games. All the best for your journalist carrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom