• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
since it was mentioned, Devil Summoner 1 is kinda poop, right? I'm tempted to pick it up on PSN just because i want to play the second game.

It's not awful but it's also not great. The combat isn't nearly as extensive or fun as DS2 (and there's a lot of it) but the plot is probably more interesting, IMO. It's not really required playing if you want to just play the sequel, though, as the plot is standalone in 2 and the returning characters are introduced as if you've never met them before.

Man this Resident Evil Quick Look bums me out.

The new movement just looks so twitchy and just wrong. I wasn't originally opposed to it but now I just don't know.

I remember this being one of the most stressful gaming experiences (in a good way) and I kinda just wanna newcomers to experience it in it's true glory. I hate when people talk about gameplay in terms of "good" and "bad" without taking the game design into account. Just like some people want every shooter to play like Call of Duty because it is "done right". Petty issues but that's just how I feel...

Each to their own I guess.

Man this Resident Evil Quick Look bums me out.

The new movement just looks so twitchy and just wrong. I wasn't originally opposed to it but now I just don't know.

I remember this being one of the most stressful gaming experiences (in a good way) and I kinda just wanna newcomers to experience it in it's true glory. I hate when people talk about gameplay in terms of "good" and "bad" without taking the game design into account. Just like some people want every shooter to play like CoD because it's "done right". Petty issues but that's just me...

Each to their own.

When Dan just vroooommms away from that zombie in the middle of the QL i was like, naw that shit is busted. even if it is more realistic, it was weird to see that when he pressed away from the zombie that Jill wasnt backing away slowly from it. it aint right!

erawsd

The movement is fine. I think the real issue is that they didn't make the zombies faster and more aggressive to compensate.

Myggen

The movement is fine. I think the real issue is that they didn't make the zombies faster and more aggressive to compensate.

I'm not sure. At that point you have to redesign the encounter design, the AI. That might work, but I think it would be difficult to find the right balance when the game was originally designed with a different movement mechanic in mind.

erawsd

I'm not sure. At that point you have to redesign the encounter design, the AI. That might work, but I think it would be difficult to find the right balance when the game was originally designed with a different movement mechanic in mind.

If they're going to tamper with the original design anyway, they should have to.

I was about to watch the new GOTY outtakes video and happened to pause on a perfect "what the fuck am I reading."

8yR3HGW.png

Brads leaving

They are just getting used to the new office

Brad Hates Dan

Jeff Hates Drew

Jank

Almost Zero

There are more but i am having a brain fart

Brads leaving

They are just getting used to the new office

Brad Hates Dan

Jeff Hates Drew

Jank

Almost Zero

There are more but i am having a brain fart

Here is my pitch.

Its a endless runner.

You play as Brad trying to leave the labyrinth like CBS office.

Similar to jetpack joyride the backgrounds change
  • Cubicle office space background
  • Box City background
  • The Moon
  • Hispter tech website targeting the lucrative Coffie expert/Home 3D printer demographic
  • 2006 Gamespot On The Spot themed background
And much more!

Enemies and obstacles will induce.
Jeff tossing green jades at you.
A nameless ex employee whose main attack is grammatical errors.
Audacity crashing and corrupting the background music.
And many more wacky challenging foes.

The game will include helpful power ups for the player but sometimes instead of a helpful power up you will randomly cast Bufu resulting in ice covering the floor for a few seconds making the game even more challenging.

At the end of your run you will be scored out of a 5 point scale unless you change the player name to Netherrealm or Harmonix in which case you will automatically get a 5.

Please donate to my Kickstarter.

Kickstarter.com/carbonneutralgames

I think I put more effort into this then the actual meme run people.

daydream

Banned
As expected, the RE QL was actually very fair and reasonable. Dan says the originals aren't for him which is extremely modest (he literally says "I recognise it as a classic" at one point) especially compared to the way Jeff would and has put it.

So I started playing hearthstone and it's pretty good but it only took 2 online games to run into someone taking foreeeever on their last turn that was clearly going to win them the game, while they kept repeating a bunch of speech bubbles at me. Like, well done you won but I kinda want to leave now.

It's just like fifa, only at least in fifa there's some back and forth with the vindictive celebration gloating

He should have just ended it, no question. That said (just FYI) you can 'concede' if you click on the settings icon in the corner. He was probably waiting for you to do that. I mean, in chess it is considered bad etiquette to not resign in a dead lost position but a lot of beginners don't do that (either because they aren't aware of what 'dead lost' entails, yet, or because they are actually interested in seeing how a lost position is won) but since you can tell a player's strength by the rating, you know when you can expect resignation or not. It's harder to tell in something like Hearthstone so he probably expected you to know that it's over and felt like you were just deliberately wasting his time or something.

Here is my pitch.

Its a endless runner.

You play as Brad trying to leave the labyrinth like CBS office.

Similar to jetpack joyride the backgrounds change
  • Cubicle office space background
  • Box City background
  • The Moon
  • Hispter tech website targeting the lucrative Coffie expert/Home 3D printer demographic
  • 2006 Gamespot On The Spot themed background
And much more!

Enemies and obstacles will induce.
Jeff tossing green jades at you.
A nameless ex employee whose main attack is grammatical errors.
Audacity crashing and corrupting the background music.
And many more wacky challenging foes.

The game will include helpful power ups for the player but sometimes instead of a helpful power up you will randomly cast Bufu resulting in ice covering the floor for a few seconds making the game even more challenging.

At the end of your run you will be scored out of a 5 point scale unless you change the player name to Netherrealm or Harmonix in which case you will automatically get a 5.

Please donate to my Kickstarter.

Kickstarter.com/carbonneutralgames

I think I put more effort into this then the actual meme run people.

You should apply to http://www.warioworld.com/apply/

I hear the Eshop allows for some great quality products like Meme run & The Letter

Megasoum

Banned
So let's sum up the current situation.

-We're not getting any substantial content because of PAX
-The main panel is Jeff, Dan and Alex so basically it will be all about wrestling.
-The Q&A panel which might be interesting won't be filmed.

Ugh, this is fucking great... The

daydream

Banned

-The main panel is Jeff, Dan and Alex so basically it will be all about wrestling.

Perfect time for that Chrono Trigger rewatch!

Brono, Barle, Bobo, Bucca, Brog, Bayla, 2Pac & Co. are waiting!

FStop7

Banned
I heard some interesting stuff about PAX south. Will be interesting to see if it holds true. Basically, it sounds like the amount of exhibitors is pretty low.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
He should have just ended it, no question. That said (just FYI) you can 'concede' if you click on the settings icon in the corner. He was probably waiting for you to do that. I mean, in chess it is considered bad etiquette to not resign in a dead lost position but a lot of beginners don't do that (either because they aren't aware of what 'dead lost' entails, yet, or because they are actually interested in seeing how a lost position is won) but since you can tell a player's strength by the rating, you know when you can expect resignation or not. It's harder to tell in something like Hearthstone so he probably expected you to know that it's over and felt like you were just deliberately wasting his time or something.

I get that, but this wasn't that. It was a relatively close game (though he was clearly pulling crazy good cards), and he was just indulging his victory. It was only really over after his penultimate turn, but I still had a slim chance with my last turn. It's not like I'm dilly-dallying over my turns or anything either; I've played several more games now and my turns are done in a few seconds while my opponent's are usually spending way more time with theirs.

I'll be using that concede button though for sure now, so thanks for that.

Rewatching the UPF with Dave and Will at the moment. It's still amazing.

Did they ever say why Dave and Will were in the office? At the time, I assumed it was for the GOTY videos but I don't remember them showing up in anything.

Zaph

I heard some interesting stuff about PAX south. Will be interesting to see if it holds true. Basically, it sounds like the amount of exhibitors is pretty low.
Yup. Danny tweeted about it earlier too, sounds like a shitshow. GB should have bailed, there's already so many events in the first half of the year, a third PAX is dumb.

daydream

Banned
I get that, but this wasn't that. It was a relatively close game (though he was clearly pulling crazy good cards), and he was just indulging his victory. It was only really over after his penultimate turn, but I still had a slim chance with my last turn. It's not like I'm dilly-dallying over my turns or anything either; I've played several more games now and my turns are done in a few seconds while my opponent's are usually spending way more time with theirs.

I'll be using that concede button though for sure now, so thanks for that.

Ah, so just an asshole, alright then.

Random sidenote but Hearthstone is pretty weird in that it becomes way better once you have a deck you're comfortable with (after you unlock hero-specific cards and open some booster packs, either bought directly or won in arena runs) but at the same time, the more you play, the more apparent the luck factor becomes. I got way better at the game after spending a couple of weeks watching streams and YT videos by pros (esportsmen, if you will) but it really only gets you so far. If you wanna reap some real rewards, you have to do well in arena runs which not only require luck and skill during the game part but also some foresight and straight-up memorisation (i.e. knowing the card tiers and whatnot) for picking the cards.

I rarely do arena runs now. The entry costs are too high and I'm saving up for card packs (esp. the new Goblin expansion cards) and that Naxxramas content instead.

It's a shame because if it leads to the cancellation of PAX South and they relocate it elsewhere (i.e. Chicago) then industry/corporate support will be lower still for that event and fans would suffer again.

I'm not bitter about GB dedicating resources to the expos though. On balance over a year, the content they produce is staggering.

wait what are people saying about the pax?

its just not that great? theyre spread too thin or something? no one bought tickets?

was there a thread somewhere

Alfredo

The 404ing It panel with Jeff will be streamed. It's on Twitch's PAX South schedule.

Brakke

Banned
Ah, so just an asshole, alright then.

Random sidenote but Hearthstone is pretty weird in that it becomes way better once you have a deck you're comfortable with (after you unlock hero-specific cards and open some booster packs, either bought directly or won in arena runs) but at the same time, the more you play, the more apparent the luck factor becomes. I got way better at the game after spending a couple of weeks watching streams and YT videos by pros (esportsmen, if you will) but it really only gets you so far. If you wanna reap some real rewards, you have to do well in arena runs which not only require luck and skill during the game part but also some foresight and straight-up memorisation (i.e. knowing the card tiers and whatnot) for picking the cards.

I rarely do arena runs now. The entry costs are too high and I'm saving up for card packs (esp. the new Goblin expansion cards) and that Naxxramas content instead.

I had a similar arc with it. Except when I got to that "I'm good at this but now it's frustrating" part, the only thing I was really enjoying was Arena runs because you pull some bozo decks and that's kind of fun. Then I ran out of gold and so now I just don't play it at all anymore.

>.<

daydream

Banned
I had a similar arc with it. Except when I got to that "I'm good at this but now it's frustrating" part, the only thing I was really enjoying was Arena runs because you pull some bozo decks and that's kind of fun. Then I ran out of gold and so now I just don't play it at all anymore.

>.<

Yeah, that's what got me to stop last year, probably around May or so. I only started playing again last week.

(crashes through a wall)

Dan AND Drew have Tumblr accounts now?!
/lttp?

you're gonna be fixing that wall tho right? k-kirlia?

..damnit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom