• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

I had a similar arc with it. Except when I got to that "I'm good at this but now it's frustrating" part, the only thing I was really enjoying was Arena runs because you pull some bozo decks and that's kind of fun. Then I ran out of gold and so now I just don't play it at all anymore.

>.<

That's about right for me, too.

That and the fact that CCGs are kinda shit by design, especially compared to deck-builders like Dominion or Ascension, which I can spend my time playing instead.

Myggen

I know what was wrong with the substitute video in the back ground. They were trying to watch through the media player on giantbomb.com

HIYO.

ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

:)

Some people might think that Meme Run would be another one of those bad games to laugh at on GB, but man...ugh...I fucking hate that it exists. As a Wii U owner, I just hate seeing that piece of shit on the eshop, and seeing it with higher star rating than a lot of other more worthy titles, because...stupid kids think it's funny. It gives video games a bad name, because it's clearly just a scam made by a bunch of kids for a quick buck. Fucking hate that thing, and wish GB wasn't giving it anymore attention. I'll never pay $5, and I wouldn't install it on my Wii U even if someone gave me $5 to do so.

Some people might think that Meme Run would be another one of those bad games to laugh at on GB, but man...ugh...I fucking hate that it exists. As a Wii U owner, I just hate seeing that piece of shit on the eshop, and seeing it with higher star rating than a lot of other more worthy titles, because...stupid kids think it's funny. It gives video games a bad name, because it's clearly just a scam made by a bunch of kids for a quick buck. Fucking hate that thing, and wish GB wasn't giving it anymore attention. I'll never pay $5, and I wouldn't install it on my Wii U even if someone gave me $5 to do so.

That's a little much, but I don't entirely disagree. It weirds me out when I turn on the Wii U and see (recent?) comments on Meme Run, right next to stuff like Smash Bros & co. I'm not used to so much attention being given to such... opportunistic games.

Oh well, time to learn what Meme Run actually is.

Megasoum

Banned

Hyrule Warrior
(Today, 08:54 PM)

Myggen

It's not the first absolute shit game on the eshop, and won't be the last. That said, the trailer for Meme Run actually made me mad, that's how bad it looks. The QL will be worth it because of how much Jeff hates everything about that game.

Dan's Jeff Jarrett gimmick needs to stop.

Jarrett is the worst. THE WORST!

I dont understand....

Nec4OFal.jpg

Is that not like 4000 Calories in one meal?

Is that what it actually looks like when its served or is it just McDonald burger shot bullshit?

Like... I dont mind a sprinkling of cheese on top of some chilli or pasta souse but that looks like its most of a block of cheese on top.

Hyrule Warrior
(Today, 08:54 PM)

Not sure what this is supposed to imply really...but if you're comparing Hyrule Warriors to Meme Run...that's just fucking stupid. I'm not even a big fan of the Warriors games, but HW ended up being a lot better than I thought it would, and is fun.

Bacon

Brads leaving

They are just getting used to the new office

Brad Hates Dan

Jeff Hates Drew

Jank

Almost Zero

There are more but i am having a brain fart

Oh my god I totally forgot about this one. I nominate this for the worst one. Even worse than Brad is leaving.

FluxWaveZ

Jeff said something akin to "who cares about the characters from SR1/2" in the recent Bombcast, and that made me sad. I do, and I know I'm not alone. I didn't love SR4, but even that game made a lot of references to the first two games that you wouldn't get if you started with SR3.

The new characters like Kinzie are cool and all, but the most memorable for me are from the first two games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff said something akin to "who cares about the characters from SR1/2" in the recent Bombcast, and that made me sad. I do, and I know I'm not alone. I didn't love SR4, but even that game made a lot of references to the first two games that you wouldn't get if you started with SR3.

The new characters like Kinzie are cool and all, but the most memorable for me are from the first two games.

I don't care about the characters from SR 1 and 2

Because 3 completely ruined them.

I played the first SR game years ago and remembered the plot being a pretty straight gang warfare story set in a some off-brand GTA city. I'm pretty sure the series was better off being the super wacky thing rather than what it was then, even if the gameplay was good. It would have been forgotten like all those other last gen GTA knockoffs.

FluxWaveZ

I played the first SR game years ago and remembered the plot being a pretty straight gang warfare story set in a some off-brand GTA city. I'm pretty sure the series was better off being the super wacky thing rather than what it was then, even if the gameplay was good. It would have been forgotten like all those other last gen GTA knockoffs.

SR1 was very grounded in that sense, yeah, though some of the characters were still cool. I do feel like a lot of people, or at least what I hear from the Bombcast, tend to brush off the fact that SR2 was pretty crazy, though. SR2 for me was the peak, with an excellent balance between silliness and seriousness, while SR3 very much leaned towards the former while losing the latter.

SR2 had moments like this (Stoned).
Then moments like this (Sunshine death).
And then, on an opposite spectrum, moments like this (Carlos).

I dunno. Jeff keeps talking about how they've written themselves into a corner because they've constantly been ramping up the insanity, but I don't feel like I would care much if they went back to their roots a bit? Even Jeff said that he'd think it would be interesting if Volition, with the knowledge and skills they have now, would go back and kind of "remake" SR1 and SR2, in an SR3 style.

Either way, Stilwater > Steelport, no doubt.

Edit: Also, I liked how SR2's boss was a psychopath, while they made them more "likeable" from SR3 onwards.

since it was mentioned, Devil Summoner 1 is kinda poop, right? I'm tempted to pick it up on PSN just because i want to play the second game.

The battle system in the first game is pretty unrefined and mashy, which sucks since the game has a ton of random encounters. There's some fun characters and the story isn't bad, but it's easily skippable if you're not a SMT nut.

I listen to the podcast during my hour and a half long commute to school. There are only a hanful of games that I play that let me shut off my brain and play while I listen to Jeff rant about how bad Polarizing Game #159642 is.

SR1 was very grounded in that sense, yeah, though some of the characters were still cool. I do feel like a lot of people, or at least what I hear from the Bombcast, tend to brush off the fact that SR2 was pretty crazy, though. SR2 for me was the peak, with an excellent balance between silliness and seriousness, while SR3 very much leaned towards the former while losing the latter.

I totally agree that SR2 is the peak of the series. I really appreciate that the game was ok with throwing silly stuff at you while not being afraid to remind you that the game is about psychopaths fighting against other psychopaths and that balance actually makes the silly stuff hit harder for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

It was as 'whacky' as the GTA games were by the second game. Even the first game had the pimp cane shotgun. It survived its initial release because it was a competent GTA clone on next gen systems. The second one did well because it was a much better version of that. Even when GTA 4 came out, you still had Saints Row 2 doing the PS2 type GTA thing. 3 just went too far, was too loud, and I feel like it broke my shoulder with all its winking and nudging.

Part of the beauty of the writing in 2 was that you weren't sure if they were serious or not. I made the analogy in the other thread, but I stil lstand by it. 2 is like The Room. It's funny because you're not sure how serious it is, who's serious in it, and what they expect to come of it. 3 is like Sharknado. 'Dohoho you get it? This movie is so bad.' But I've talked hundreds of times why I'm not a fan of the direction of 3. I just wish someone else would take up the mantle of 'Ambitious, goofy, janky GTA clone'

Myggen

It was as 'whacky' as the GTA games were by the second game. Even the first game had the pimp cane shotgun. It survived its initial release because it was a competent GTA clone on next gen systems. The second one did well because it was a much better version of that. Even when GTA 4 came out, you still had Saints Row 2 doing the PS2 type GTA thing. 3 just went too far, was too loud, and I feel like it broke my shoulder with all its winking and nudging.

Part of the beauty of the writing in 2 was that you weren't sure if they were serious or not. I made the analogy in the other thread, but I stil lstand by it. 2 is like The Room. It's funny because you're not sure how serious it is, who's serious in it, and what they expect to come of it. 3 is like Sharknado. 'Dohoho you get it? This movie is so bad.' But I've talked hundreds of times why I'm not a fan of the direction of 3. I just wish someone else would take up the mantle of 'Ambitious, goofy, janky GTA clone'

I don't get the Sharknado analogy at all. Sharknado and similar films suck because they're trying to be bad, and movies are generally only "so bad it's good" when, as you say, it seems like the filmmaker actually tried to create something good and/or serious. See: The Room and Troll 2.

Saints Row 3 never tries to be "so bad it's good", the humor is just a lot more meta and insane. The people who like SR3, me included, don't like it because "it's so baaaaad, lol", but because the writing is funny, and is trying to be funny.

I think SR3 is way, way superior to SR2.

I actually agree with the Bombcrew that SR3 is where the series finally took off. The writing and humor is just so much better than what came before it. The first two games just felt like attempts to make wackier San Andreas, and that's not really all that interesting to me.

I don't get the Sharknado analogy at all. Sharknado and similar films suck because they're trying to be bad, and movies are generally only "so bad it's good" when, as you say, it seems like the filmmaker actually tried to create something good and/or serious. See: The Room and Troll 2.

Saints Row 3 never tries to be "so bad it's good", the humor is just a lot more meta and insane. The people who like SR3, me included, don't like it because "it's so baaaaad, lol", but because the writing is funny, and is trying to be funny.

I think SR3 is way, way superior to SR2.
SR3 has some of the best comedic writing in games, so I definitely disagree with the Sharknado analogy.

Jintor

I definitely think sr3 is where saints started becoming... Well, I guess aaa tier. But it feels like it lost something in the transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom