• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phediuk

What do we expect to the winners for Biggest Surprise and Most Disappointing Game?

For a time it seemed like Destiny was a lock for Most Disappointing, but Brad is so effusive about it that he may deflect the "award" to Driveclub, Watch Dogs, or Assassin's Creed Unity.

Biggest Surprise, I dunno. Mordor? Wolfenstein? They all liked those games.

Off topic but what would you say is the best way to buy books on my ipad ? ibooks or amazon kindle store? kindle digital store seems cheaper at a glance.

I much prefer Kindle, the prices are generally better and you'll be able to read them on a kindle if you ever purchase one in the future.

What do we expect to the winners for Biggest Surprise and Most Disappointing Game?

For a time it seemed like Destiny was a lock for Most Disappointing, but Brad is so effusive about it that he may deflect the "award" to Driveclub, Watch Dogs, or Assassin's Creed Unity.

Biggest Surprise, I dunno. Mordor? Wolfenstein? They all liked those games.

Don't forget MCC. What should have been an easy homerun for Microsoft released in an incredibly poor state. It'll end up being technical disappointments (MCC, Driveclub, Unity) vs gameplay disappointments (Unity, Destiny, Watch_Dogs)

I also think Jeff might try to push CoD into the biggest surprise run based on how much he's enjoying it, but I expect Shadow of Mordor to take it. It went from being a game that was almost completely written off before release into being a heavy GoTY contender for a few of them.

Unity has it's issues but it was basically just another Creed game. Driveclub not being functional is a weird situation, I'm not really sure how that plays into disappointment because I don't really do car racers. I think Destiny is a good contender. Master Chief collection might be up for it too.

Actually I think MMC might be the front runner since it was loads more popular than Driveclub.

Unity has it's issues but it was basically just another Creed game. Driveclub not being functional is a weird situation, I'm not really sure how that plays into disappointment because I don't really do car racers. I think Destiny is a good contender. Master Chief collection might be up for it too.

Actually I think MMC might be the front runner since it was loads more popular than Driveclub.

You have to look at Unity within context, though. It's the follow up to 4, one of the best AC games, and it was a game that Ubisoft was putting a lot of weight behind as being the first game created purely for the new gen. What came out was one of the worst ACs not only from a gameplay perspective, but it was also a poorly optimized and buggy mess. Unity compared to 4 is a massive disappointment.

Driveclub wasn't much of a disappointment from a gameplay perspective as there wasn't much hype behind it. I think most of the crew expected it to be a fairly weak racer with how many dev issues it had, the fact that it was bad and barely functional online is what puts it in contention.

Off topic but what would you say is the best way to buy books on my ipad ? ibooks or amazon kindle store? kindle digital store seems cheaper at a glance.

Kindle Store is available on basically every platform and has the best selection and prices. Off the top of my head I've gotten Anathem for $0.99, Infinite Jest for $1.99, Way of Kings for free, and Words of Radiance for $3.75.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Kindle it is, thanks guys! I also browsed the kindle store and came to the horrifying conclusion that i barely know which authors are good or not, basically from the cover alone most book look like shit. I think i'm gonna search on the internet for a list of essential reading for new readers, in the meanwhile i got for free the Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie.

Bacon

Kindle it is, thanks guys! I also browsed the kindle store and came to the horrifying conclusion that i barely know which authors are good or not, basically from the cover alone most book look like shit. I think i'm gonna search on the internet for a list of essential reading for new readers, in the meanwhile i got for free the Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie.

This is my problem. Going into the kindle store without a concrete idea of what I want is very intimidating.

Renpatsu

Never judge a book by it's cover (alone). You'll find that like most media the cover is really only useful as signposts for the demographics that publishers wish to target and the quality of the cover itself will vary with the budgets publishers choose to throw behind certain books.

AcridMeat

Banned
If you guys like sci fi look at authors Isaac Asimov, Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick. Not all of their novels are sci fi but the themes are excellent.

Oh and if Jeff were here he'd say read Neuromancer. I'll endorse it too.

If you guys like sci fi look at authors Isaac Asimov, Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick. Not all of their novels are sci fi but the themes are excellent.

You left off Frank Herbert. Dune is essential sci fi imo.

Zaph

Hot Spells! Part Deux (HD will kick in soon)

c1FSkvG.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
You left off Frank Herbert. Dune is essential sci fi imo.
I left it out because I forgot about it haha. I hadn't read that since I was a kid. You're right the book is good. The movie is weird, even for Lynch, which I saw much more recently.

Also here's NPR's chart for the top 100 fantasy & sci fi novels. Very handy for finding what you want to read next, if those are your genres.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Never judge a book by it's cover (alone). You'll find that like most media the cover is really only useful as signposts for the demographics that publishers wish to target and the quality of the cover itself will vary with the budgets publishers choose to throw behind certain books.

Duly noted

What genres do you like?

Fuck i dunno, sci fi i guess and mysteries and thrillers.

Damn i forgot about those dudes, when i was a child i read a story written by one of those dudes, think it was Asimov. I should dig into that shit hard.

I left it out because I forgot about it haha. I hadn't read that since I was a kid. You're right the book is good. The movie is weird, even for Lynch, which I saw much more recently.

Also here's NPR's chart for the top 100 fantasy & sci fi novels. Very handy for finding what you want to read next, if those are your genres.

That's handy as fuck.

Thanks guys for your advice, i'll pick up a book or two next month when i get paid.

I read Dune three times in the same summer. It is one of the greatest novels ever written, and is definitely my favorite book ever. If I could have three wishes, one of them would be to change the past so Frank Herbert never got cancer so he could finish writing the saga. :(

WeekendGAF is here. At least it isn't about anime

We're in community. This is what we do now. This is who we are.

Two books standalone books I'll recommend to just about anyone: The Terror by Dan Simmons and 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Both are great thrillers, and though I've never read Crichton I'd imagine they'll appeal to anyone who was into him. I hear Hyperion is excellent sci-fi but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Oh and House of Leaves, of course, but you'd have to pick up a physical copy for that.

Renpatsu

I dunno how folks feel about Orson Scott Card these days, but I still believe Ender's Game is a classic sci-fi novel along with Speaker of the Dead (the rest of that series not so much).

If you dig books that touch upon the sheer power and scope of a good story I recommend The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

If you have a reddit account, r/suggestmeabook is a wonderful resource for finding new books.

What do you like to read?

So I've still not watched any of this year's Extra Life streams. Did anyone cut together some highlights or at least compile a list of noteworthy moments (complete with timecodes)?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
You should consider joining goodreads for recommendations. I find it pretty useful to find new stuff.

Noaloha

Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventure of Kavalier &Clay is a book that I consider pretty universal. Exceptionally well written, accessible, it's smart and funny and unique. If I'm remembering correctly, I'm at a seven for seven success rate when loaning that book out. It has always come back accompanied by gushing praise from the lendee.

AcridMeat

Banned
I really should buy that Kindle I've been meaning to buy for like five years already. I read way too little these days.
I bought one earlier this year when they were $20. I've seldom used it. That's where I have Ready Player One, having a gaming PC is just so distracting while home.

Meanwhile I have a stack of about 10 books on my desk, all of which I was meaning to read this year. I got through 2 1/2. :/

Edit: Uhh giant bomb stuff. I can't wait for the Thanksgiving stuff with Dan(ny).

Bacon

I bought one earlier this year when they were $20. I've seldom used it. That's where I have Ready Player One, having a gaming PC is just so distracting while home.

Meanwhile I have a stack of about 10 books on my desk, all of which I was meaning to read this year. I got through 2 1/2. :/

I bought a kindle earlier this year as well. I had all these ideas that I would use it all the time and become an avid reader. Those ideas did not come to fruition.

I blame giantbomb, those bastards.

JerkShep

Aaand premium member it is. I'm going to come back and ask for suggestions soon, for now I guess I'll start with Load Our Last Souls.

Anyone who likes Sci-fi interspecies politics should probably check out A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski. Actually she's a great author, and happens to be a scientist too, so some of the sci-fi writing feels pretty authentic.

BearPawB

Banned
"@Spacekatgal: We're going to go site by site and find out if IGN and Giant Bomb and others hired more women in 2014. There will be names and shames."

Great. Let's dredge this up again. Looking forward to it.............

"@Spacekatgal: We're going to go site by site and find out if IGN and Giant Bomb and others hired more women in 2014. There will be names and shames."

Poor Rorie. At least they will have a heads up this time.

Zaph

"There! That small, independently-founded-under-unusual-conditions site with only 5 full-time editors. Yes, that's the example I'm going to continue bringing up of everything that's wrong with the industry"

Not saying Giant Bomb doesn't have its problems, but holy shit, if I had a platform I could write a list of issues with this industry as long as my arm before I hit Giant Bomb. Wanna target awards? Sure - how about E3's judges piss-poor female representation? Or The Game Award's 2 female jury members out of 30? There's some personal problem there with GB which is why the constant name-checks and ridiculous accusations.

Alucrid

Banned
pretty sure IGN and Giantbomb are the only gaming websites out there

"There! That small, independently-founded-under-unusual-conditions site with only 5 full-time editors. Yes, that's the example I'm going to continue bringing up of everything that's wrong with the industry"

Not saying Giant Bomb doesn't have its problems, but holy shit, if I had a platform I could write a list of issues with this industry as long as my arm before I hit Giant Bomb. Wanna target awards? Sure - how about E3's judges piss-poor female representation? Or The Game Award's 2 female jury members out of 30? There's some personal problem there with GB which is why the constant name-checks and ridiculous accusations.

and no female advisers.

popo

Brianna is still salty a year later. She posted about how fucked it was that Tomb Raider didn't make the GOTY Top 10 - a place it deserved by virtue of it being written by a woman - and the forums told her she was full of shit.

@NumberThree

If you are in to reading books then an e-reader is a great convenient way to read.

If you are kinda in to reading then this convenience might encourage you to read more.

If you are not in to reading books then a kindle is not going to suddenly make them more exciting for you.

Aaand premium member it is. I'm going to come back and ask for suggestions soon, for now I guess I'll start with Load Our Last Souls.

You're in for a real treat; Vinny is on fire in this one.

TTOUlmy.gif

Brianna is still salty a year later. She posted about how fucked it was that Tomb Raider didn't make the GOTY Top 10 - a place it deserved by virtue of it being written by a woman - and the forums told her she was full of shit.

"Be careful when you fight monsters, lest ye become one yourself."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom