• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941851

You see this, Alex? Do you see this?

images

I'm only on Part 7 right now, but as someone who's never played any Metal Gear before, the story of MGS2 seems kinda... not good. Raiden's lame as hell, the codec characters aren't as fun as in MGS1, and the plot is taking forever to get moving. Maybe it picks up later?

I'm only on Part 7 right now, but as someone who's never played any Metal Gear before, the story of MGS2 seems kinda... not good. Raiden's lame as hell, the codec characters aren't as fun as in MGS1, and the plot is taking forever to get moving. Maybe it picks up later?

Oh, it picks up. Holy shit, does it pick up.

oh, you'll see. :)

You're going to look back on this comment and laugh when it's all said and done.

Tamanon

Banned

I'm in the same boat. The plot is alright thus far, since I expect it'll go sideways soon. I hate Raiden and his interactions, especially with Rose. But Kojima loves his ill-placed philosophical conversations.

Anastasia

I beat MGS2 a lot, and it's interesting playing through subsequent times (and also watching Dan and Drew go through it now); you notice little hints in the story, lots of foreshadowing, etc. that you didn't see before. But to answer your question, it does pick up. In a really crazy ass way.

daydream

Banned

Same position as you with regard to the series, and to me, 2 seems clearly more refined and interesting in pretty much every aspect, including the narrative aspects. They really seized the opportunity to follow a bad game up with a good one.

Two possible developments that would make me appreciate the story much more:

- It is revealed that there is some grand sinister reason why Campbell sent a rookie kid with no field experience on perhaps the most poorly-planned operation in U.S. Special Forces history.

- Pliskin turns out to totally not be Solid Snake and is in fact some weird other clone of Big Boss who's actually the Pope or some shit.

No amount of plot twists can make the Jack/Rose dynamic not totally hilarious though.

Will M

- It is revealed that there is some grand sinister reason why Campbell sent a rookie kid with no field experience on perhaps the most poorly-planned operation in U.S. Special Forces history.

- Pliskin turns out to totally not be Solid Snake and is in fact some weird other clone of Big Boss who's actually the Pope or some shit.

No amount of plot twists can make the Jack/Rose dynamic not totally hilarious though.

I won't confirm anything other than I think you'll like the ending. The great thing about the series is that you can't really sum up any one game from a single revelation like you would a movie or TV show.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I envy you, man. I'd love to be able to see all the shit you're going to see for the first time again.

I played MGS2 years ago when it came out on the Xbox. All I remembered was there was a tanker, then the oil platform, then the ending made fuck-all sense. Watching this again all this stuff still feels new to me. I had completely forgotten about Rose (probably for the best) and pretty much all of the gameplay details.

justjim89

I just started playing South Park today and wow, I hope it gets some love in the GOTY awards. Brad and Alex both seemed to really like it, from what I recall.

Daheza

I just finished watching Akira after hearing about it on the bombcast.I'm not entirely sure what happened. My mind is kinda blown right now.

Does anyone remember what other recommendations Dan got? Since I have watched one anime tonight I might as well continue with some more.

That Stone Dude

Neo Member
I just finished watching Akira after hearing about it on the bombcast.I'm not entirely sure what happened. My mind is kinda blown right now.
Akira is in the same space as MGS2 for me. I've only ever seen/played it once and while I liked it I'll be damned if I can actually explain what happened afterwards.

FStop7

Banned

Oh you just wait.

FStop7

Banned
You have to look at Unity within context, though. It's the follow up to 4, one of the best AC games, and it was a game that Ubisoft was putting a lot of weight behind as being the first game created purely for the new gen. What came out was one of the worst ACs not only from a gameplay perspective, but it was also a poorly optimized and buggy mess. Unity compared to 4 is a massive disappointment.

Driveclub wasn't much of a disappointment from a gameplay perspective as there wasn't much hype behind it. I think most of the crew expected it to be a fairly weak racer with how many dev issues it had, the fact that it was bad and barely functional online is what puts it in contention.

The other thing that was hugely disappointing about Unity was the lack of depth when it came to the French Revolution. I mean this was THE game they've been building up to since the very beginning. And they totally fucked it.

hamchan

What do we expect to the winners for Biggest Surprise and Most Disappointing Game?

For a time it seemed like Destiny was a lock for Most Disappointing, but Brad is so effusive about it that he may deflect the "award" to Driveclub, Watch Dogs, or Assassin's Creed Unity.

Biggest Surprise, I dunno. Mordor? Wolfenstein? They all liked those games.

I really don't think anything beats Destiny for Most Disappointing, even with the typical Brad filibuster or Drew to counter it. Driveclub they didn't care about and Watch Dogs/Assassin's Creed is just the typical Ubisoft formula game albeit crappier than normal.

Destiny is by the creators of Halo, the most hyped game of the year easily. The fact that the game controls well and has great art, makes the horrible game design and story parts of it even more disappointing. I totally expect Jeff to heavily argue for Destiny.

Biggest surprise is probably Mordor I guess.

I also expect biggest technical screwup this year, to take over the best apology award because boy, there sure were a lot this year.

elfinke

This is a fantastic thing, thanks for sharing!

I just started playing South Park today and wow, I hope it gets some love in the GOTY awards. Brad and Alex both seemed to really like it, from what I recall.

I agree, I played it and Jazzpunk around the same time and had so much damn fun with both. Terrific stuff.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Danny O'Dwyer ‏@dannyodwyer 50m50 minutes ago
"Zelda picked up a coin.
Better tell everyone about that shit!"
- @PaulRyckert on myself & @DanRyckert returning to work on Monday.

:lol @ Dan's dad

Jintor

Kindle it is, thanks guys! I also browsed the kindle store and came to the horrifying conclusion that i barely know which authors are good or not, basically from the cover alone most book look like shit. I think i'm gonna search on the internet for a list of essential reading for new readers, in the meanwhile i got for free the Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie.

This is my problem. Going into the kindle store without a concrete idea of what I want is very intimidating.

Never judge a book by it's cover (alone). You'll find that like most media the cover is really only useful as signposts for the demographics that publishers wish to target and the quality of the cover itself will vary with the budgets publishers choose to throw behind certain books.

If you guys like sci fi look at authors Isaac Asimov, Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick. Not all of their novels are sci fi but the themes are excellent.

Oh and if Jeff were here he'd say read Neuromancer. I'll endorse it too.

You left off Frank Herbert. Dune is essential sci fi imo.

November's Whatcha Readin' thread is here, but December's will be up soon! Hang out with BookGAF!

daydream

Banned
Finding out/reconfirming every month that 90% of BookGAF only read genre fiction is a bit of a bummer, though, to put it mildly. I wonder if there are others who are suffering with me.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

This is exactly what I'm expecting. Seems waaaaaaaay too obvious.

Fevaweva

Finding out/reconfirming every month that 90% of BookGAF only read genre fiction is a bit of a bummer, though, to put it mildly. I wonder if there are others who are suffering with me.

I occasionally look in on BookGAF and I have to agree. Not everyone can read...I dunno Remains Of The Day or Lolita but holy crap there is a lot of Sci fi and Fantasy in that thread

Jintor

What about mangas adapted from light novels?

Can you solve this paradox?

They equal 1 book because light novels as everyone knows are only worth half a book

I occasionally look in on BookGAF and I have to agree. Not everyone can read...I dunno Remains Of The Day or Lolita but holy crap there is a lot of Sci fi and Fantasy in that thread

It's just easier to read genre fiction sometimes. That and nonfiction don't require any brainpower for me to really read. Also I'm trying to write some genre fiction so that sort of informs my reading choices.

also I read lolita last year so BLEH

Myggen

Lolita is a bad book, so there's that too.

I now read mostly nonfiction. Just finished reading David Simon's Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. Oh man what a book that is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom