• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Lolita is a bad book, so there's that too.

I now read mostly nonfiction. Just finished reading David Simon's Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. Oh man what a book that is!

Lolita is incredible. The fact that Nabakov can make you feel sympathetic for HH is a bloody feat of literature.

Homicide is, indeed, fantastic.

Myggen

Lolita is incredible. The fact that Nabakov can make you feel sympathetic for HH is a bloody feat of literature.

Homicide is, indeed, fantastic.

A bad book is of course hyperbole on my part, I just didn't like it! And yeah, Homicide was even better than The Corner, which is also a masterpiece of non-fiction writing.

Anyways, finally got the time to watch the first two episodes of Greg Kasavin plays Dragon Age!

Fevaweva

Lolita is a bad book, so there's that too.

I now read mostly nonfiction. Just finished reading David Simon's Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. Oh man what a book that is!

BooThisMan.gif

Oh no you di'nt

Zaph

No professional outlet should celebrate the release of an advertisement for a new product.

Except when it's Vib Ribbon.
I know it's Star Wars and people really like that shit, but fucking hell most blogs like the verge are up to their 12th 'story' about the trailer. I'm fully expecting to see "here's 10 ways to dig up and fellatiate Walt Disney" next.

I occasionally look in on BookGAF and I have to agree. Not everyone can read...I dunno Remains Of The Day or Lolita but holy crap there is a lot of Sci fi and Fantasy in that thread
I need to be in a certain mood to read literary fiction. I'll read yer McCarthys and yer Murakamis but after a while I just want something with some goddamn swords and a map on the first page.

Teggy

OMG I was listening to Bombcasts on my drive home and they spoiled the major twist in KOTOR.

I know I am way overdue in finishing that game but :'(

I know it's Star Wars and people really like that shit, but fucking hell most blogs like the verge are up to their 12th 'story' about the trailer. I'm fully expecting to see "here's 10 ways to dig up and fellatiate Walt Disney" next.

Yup verge finally got dropped from my rss after this weekend. I'll just watch their videos from YouTube.

Jintor

if there are light novels are there heavy novels as well

It's like Hunger Games v Dostevsky I guess?

Although as far as I can tell, Light Novels are actually written worse than most YA fiction. Of course I can't bloody read the language without a dictionary yet so best not take my word on it

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
if there are light novels are there heavy novels as well

Bryce Courtney novels can kill a man.

It's like Hunger Games v Dostevsky I guess?

Although as far as I can tell, Light Novels are actually written worse than most YA fiction. Of course I can't bloody read the language without a dictionary yet so best not take my word on it

All you need is kill is pretty good.

Myggen

Need to get those clicks. The trailer has over 50m views on YT now. Dissecting a trailer is pretty much worthless in general, but especially a teaser trailer like this one that doesn't tell us anything other than something something dumb lightsaber, something something black storm trooper (or main character???????????!!!!!!). I'm guessing Chris Plante has written about half of those stories for The Verge? His article about the picture of the new batmobile was hilarious. Oh Chris Plante, you're the worst.

Haunted

Watching that Thanksgiving stream, I actually said "wow" out loud on that Tales from the Borderlands bit with Jeff and Rorie.

The absolute disinterest, lacklustre commentary and general boredom was even more damning than if they had actually really ripped into it - and then Jeff closes the game basically mid-sentence. Ruthless! :lol

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

"The ten best articles about the new Star Wars Trailer! Sith hate them!"

MGS2 has one of those stories where the whole thing makes a lot more sense/you notice a lot of stuff that didn't seem significant at first on the second time around if you're paying attention from the start and keep in mind what Kojima's trying to do and where things are going

Aaron

OMG I was listening to Bombcasts on my drive home and they spoiled the major twist in KOTOR.

I know I am way overdue in finishing that game but :'(
If you haven't finished it by now, you didn't want to finish it. You've had the time.

popo

I occasionally look in on BookGAF and I have to agree. Not everyone can read...I dunno Remains Of The Day or Lolita but holy crap there is a lot of Sci fi and Fantasy in that thread

Video game nerds on a video game message board read a lot of sci fi and fantasy? Shocker! I am sure they have a good laugh at your local book club when you tell them of such plebeians.

Fevaweva

Video game nerds on a video game message board read a lot of sci fi and fantasy? Shocker! I am sure they have a good laugh at your local book club when you tell them of such plebeians.

What? You are making me out to be some kind of snob. There are books that not everyone can read on account of being, quite simply, difficult reads. For instance, I have tried repeatedly but I can't read Ulysses by James Joyce and I know a few people who burned out of War & Peace or Blood Meridian on account of being too 'purple'/dry for them.

I dunno, I was expecting more literature and less genre fiction when I went to BookGAF. Not that there is anything wrong with genre fiction, I love me some Conan, Sherlock and have read my fair share of Games Workshop books in the past.

Teggy

I can't tell if this is serious or a mocking of the "SPOILERZ!" crowd

If you haven't finished it by now, you didn't want to finish it. You've had the time.

It's serious, and I know, I'm way late to the party. I have started the game on OG XBOX, PC (many times), Mac and most recently iOS but have never gotten much farther than leaving the Jedi enclave and still hoped to finish it someday. I had just never had anyone spoil this for me. It's certainly not mentioned casually like [FF7 spoiler]
Aeris' death

The spoiler btw was
that the player character is Revan
. It's a pretty vague spoiler because I'm not sure how that works, but still pretty big.

tchocky

Is it that much of a slip up? I'm almost certain that the name Solidus has come up before

In the video where they watched the MGS 2 trailers they talk about Solidus being the former President and in the game they have said George Sears is the former president and leading Dead Cell so it's kind of amazing Drew hasn't worked out Sears and Solidus are not the same person.

daydream

Banned
What? You are making me out to be some kind of snob. There are books that not everyone can read on account of being, quite simply, difficult reads. For instance, I have tried repeatedly but I can't read Ulysses by James Joyce and I know a few people who burned out of War & Peace or Blood Meridian on account of being too 'purple'/dry for them.

I dunno, I was expecting more literature and less genre fiction when I went to BookGAF. Not that there is anything wrong with genre fiction, I love me some Conan, Sherlock and have read my fair share of Games Workshop books in the past.

It's no use bringing it up, GAF is decidedly anti-intellectual across the board. Someone will always feel attacked even when you're solely talking about yourself and/or the work of art.

Zaph

Is it that much of a slip up? I'm almost certain that the name Solidus has come up before

My knowledge of Metal Gear is limited to the first game and MGScanlon, and I definitely knew the former president is Solidus/third Snake. Didn't think it was a spoiler at all.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If you want to try and read an old book thats impossible to read, try Faust: The Second Part. I dare you.
After reading the first part in school my teacher said to us "Now we are going to read the first page of Faust 2. Then we're going to laugh, throw the book away and never look at it again"
Also I just realised that I have no idea anymore what Faust is about, except using the devil to make some girl fall in love with you. Or something like that. Just shows that the best way to ensure that you forget something is to talk about it for weeks in school and have tests about it. I still know most of the plot points of fucking Tom Turbo books and I read those when I as like 7.

It's serious, and I know, I'm way late to the party. I have started the game on OG XBOX, PC (many times), Mac and most recently iOS but have never gotten much farther than leaving the Jedi enclave and still hoped to finish it someday. I had just never had anyone spoil this for me. It's certainly not mentioned casually like [FF7 spoiler]
Aeris' death

The spoiler btw was
that the player character is Revan
. It's a pretty vague spoiler because I'm not sure how that works, but still pretty big.

But you can't honestly be mad that somebody spoiled an 11 year (jesus.....I'm so old :( ) old game for you?

FStop7

Banned

It wasn't a slip up, it was stated openly at the end of MGS1. I don't remember that from when I played MGS, either. But it's there. It kind of shocked me because it means that Kojima had a pretty good idea of where the story was headed from the very beginning. I've always assumed he was winging it.

If you want to try and read an old book thats impossible to read, try Faust: The Second Part. I dare you.
After reading the first part in school my teacher said to us "Now we are going to read the first page of Faust 2. Then we're going to laugh, throw the book away and never look at it again"
Also I just realised that I have no idea anymore what Faust is about, except using the devil to make some girl fall in love with you. Or something like that. Just shows that the best way to ensure that you forget something is to talk about it for weeks in school and have tests about it. I still know most of the plot points of fucking Tom Turbo books and I read those when I as like 7.?

I read Faust in German and other than remembering that the writing was beautiful (German is a surprisingly poetic language), I remember next to nothing about it.

It wasn't a slip up, it was stated openly at the end of MGS1. I don't remember that from when I played MGS, either. But it's there. It kind of shocked me because it means that Kojima had a pretty good idea of where the story was headed from the very beginning. I've always assumed he was winging it.

Yeah, for MGS1,
Ocelot mentions that Liquid/Snake had no idea that there was a 3rd, Solidus.

Myggen

In the video where they watched the MGS 2 trailers they talk about Solidus being the former President and in the game they have said George Sears is the former president and leading Dead Cell so it's kind of amazing Drew hasn't worked out Sears and Solidus are not the same person.

I wouldn't say that it's very obvious at the point he's at-

But yeah, you guys are probably right in that it's not a spoiler or anything. Just seemed like Dan regretted saying the name right after he said it.

Zaph

I wouldn't say that it's very obvious at the point he's at-

But yeah, you guys are probably right in that it's not a spoiler or anything. Just seemed like Dan regretted saying the name right after he said it.

Yeah, I imagine Dan's constantly second guessing himself if a plot point is something Drew should know already or not, which could explain any hesitance at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom