• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiku

wait what please explain

2400409-danrykertheadshot.jpg

FStop7

Banned
For us sane people who haven't been thinking at all about Destiny except when forced by Brad injecting it directly into our earbrains while at work, what happened? That sounds mind blowingly stupid, so it couldn't possibly be what it sounds like, right?

Or is this their just way of saying "We're moving into the next beta phase and with that comes some character and equipment loss"?

People who have gone through the crazy grind to max out the attributes of their exotic weapons will have to go through the entire crazy grind again if they decide to "upgrade" them for The Dark Below. When you do the upgrade, all of the weapon's stats are reset.

So, in other words.. Let's say you've had Icebreaker (super powerful sniper rifle) for a month and have spent dozens and dozens of hours grinding to max it out. Now let's say I get an Icebreaker today and have not leveled it up at all. If we both "upgrade" our weapons for The Dark Below we both end up with the exact same thing. In other words, all of that time and effort you invested in maxing out your weapon counts for nothing.

Now multiply that across multiple exotic weapons, which all of the hardcore Destiny players have. It's a complete slap in the face to their most dedicated fans.

The cherry on top of this is that "DeeJ" once again shit the bed by implying we, the players, are just too stupid to understand. He's already walked back his comments in a post here on GAF, though.

For us sane people who haven't been thinking at all about Destiny except when forced by Brad injecting it directly into our earbrains while at work, what happened? That sounds mind blowingly stupid, so it couldn't possibly be what it sounds like, right?

Or is this their just way of saying "We're moving into the next beta phase and with that comes some character and equipment loss"?

People who have gone through the crazy grind to max out the attributes of their exotic weapons will have to go through the entire crazy grind again if they decide to "upgrade" them for The Dark Below. When you do the upgrade, all of the weapon's stats are reset.

So, in other words.. Let's say you've had Icebreaker (super powerful sniper rifle) for a month and have spent dozens and dozens of hours grinding to max it out. Now let's say I get an Icebreaker today and have not leveled it up at all. If we both "upgrade" our weapons for The Dark Below we both end up with the exact same thing. In other words, all of that time and effort you invested in maxing out your weapon counts for nothing.

Now multiply that across multiple exotic weapons, which all of the hardcore Destiny players have. It's a complete slap in the face to their most dedicated fans.

The cherry on top of this is that "DeeJ" once again shit the bed by implying we, the players, are just too stupid to understand. He's already walked back his comments in a post here on GAF, though.

To expand a bit more, with the new expansion all current Exotic weapons and armor would be out classed by the new Exotics in the expansion. Basically Bungie is allowing you to upgrade your current Exotic to the new damage and amor ranges, but at the cost of having to relevel the weapon from scratch. Its a huge fuck you as it basically throws all your shards and everything you spent on your gear out the window. I think people were expecting they would extend the upgrade tree to keep current exotic relevant.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

isnt that the same shit as when a wow expansion comes out, you replaceyour fancy heroic epics with greens? granted, thats usually a 2 year gap, not a 2 month gap >_>

Bacon

It's really just further proof that bungie has no idea what the fuck they are doing with destiny. I played up to level 20 and had a good time but goddamn what a shit show everything surrounding the solid gameplay is.

To expand a bit more, with the new expansion all current Exotic weapons and armor would be out classed by the new Exotics in the expansion. Basically Bungie is allowing you to upgrade your current Exotic to the new damage and amor ranges, but at the cost of having to relevel the weapon from scratch. Its a huge fuck you as it basically throws all your shards and everything you spent on your gear out the window. I think people were expecting they would extend the upgrade tree to keep current exotic relevant.

And to think I was so disappointed that it didn't come to PC. The longer we are into the life of Destiny, the more ambivalent I am about it. What a weird game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's really just further proof that bungie has no idea what the fuck they are doing with destiny. I played up to level 20 and had a good time but goddamn what a shit show everything surrounding the solid gameplay is.

They know what they're doing, it's just that they want to make fps with the worst parts of MMOs.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
it will be bayonetta 2. alex, patrick and dan love it. Jeff has surprisingly no pull when it comes to getting his choices over as GOTY (or decides not to use it, im sure he has the pull), just look at Last of Us or Walking Dead winning, games he doesnt even like, or Uncharted over Batman. Vinny and Brad have losing horses in the race so they wont care, and Drew likes 2 games a year

I've been playing MMOs for over a decade now, this isn't new to the post-WoW era. However, the speed at which they are already obsoleting older content is insane, if they keep raising the item level at this rate, power creep is inevitable before the end of next year.

Maybe that's the point though? churn out expansion packs at a quick rate, and bait the hardcore in to buying them or get left behind in the raiding scene. Maybe they don't even care about power creep if they're just releasing a sequel in 2-3 years as well.

Balb

it will be bayonetta 2. alex, patrick and dan love it. Jeff has surprisingly no pull when it comes to getting his choices over as GOTY (or decides not to use it, im sure he has the pull), just look at Last of Us or Walking Dead winning, games he doesnt even like, or Uncharted over Batman. Vinny and Brad have losing horses in the race so they wont care, and Drew likes 2 games a year

Depends on whether Jeff is really behind a game. He pretty much single-handedly got GTA IV to win GOTY in 08 over MGS4.

Rhaknar

Depends on whether Jeff is really behind a game. He pretty much single-handedly got GTA IV to win GOTY in 08 over MGS4.

this is also true, I completely forgot about that one.

ST2K

Sunset Overdrive has unanimous love from the staff (with maybe the exception of Jeff? I haven't heard if he played it since his original try.)

I think that's the favorite.

danm999

I still think it'll be Mordor. It's the consensus pick.

Everybody likes it, and Dan said a few weeks ago it was his GOTY thus far (and this is after he reviewed Bayonetta 2).

Rhaknar

I agree that if its not Bayo2 its Mordor

well I agree that its their pick I mean. Sunset has 0% chance of being the GB goty

Rhaknar

there should still be at least 1 more regular bombcast right? maybe even 2?

tuesday 9th
tuesday 16th

I have no idea how early they fuck off for holiday time off. it still baffles me you can do that in the states

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom