• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Is the appendix the one that gets you free ice cream in the hospital? Or is that tonsils?

Best wishes for a quick recovery, Dan...

Update:
0ozAC9g.png

Oh shit. Finger's crossed he's ok.

Get well soon, Dan.

Hoping the best for Dan. I have a feeling that at some point in the future we'll get to a point where the surgery is so simple/painless that appendix removal will be mandatory at or shortly after birth. There seems to be little (or no) upside in having an appendix. Same with tonsils, but they don't bring as potential a danger as the appendix can.

Edit- On Twitter, responses to Dan from Scoops and Chris Watters reveal they both had the surgery. At least Dan knows people who've been through it.

I tried to convince my doctor to get me into an elective tonsillectomy and he wasn't having any of it

apparently they have some marginal effect on preventing common illnesses but mine are more of a hassle than they're worth sometimes

Tonsil stones (plaque-y build-ups in tonsils) are annoying. I probably shouldn't be squeezing them out with my finger.

I think the only thing I've had removed are teeth.

Hoping the best for Dan. I have a feeling that at some point in the future we'll get to a point where the surgery is so simple/painless that appendix removal will be mandatory at or shortly after birth. There seems to be little (or no) upside in having an appendix. Same with tonsils, but they don't bring as potential a danger as the appendix can.

Invasive body surgery is a lot more dangerous even if the thing is pointless. So advancements in surgery are going to have to go a long way before this would even make sense.

By that point, we probably won't have appendices. Or pinkie toes.

Myggen

At least they caught it early, I know plenty of people who've had their appendix removed. Best of luck, Dan!

Seems like Brandon Stroud removed his appendix yesterday?

I almost got a leg amputated a few years ago after I got a deep cut in my leg snorkeling, that was dope

I was 3 hours away from getting a transmetatarsal amputation until a two surgeons verbally fought with each other over the best course of action to take

Everyone should Google Image Search transmetatarsal amputation... then hate me

#surgerybeef

Invasive body surgery is a lot more dangerous even if the thing is pointless. So advancements in surgery are going to have to go a long way before this would even make sense.

By that point, we probably won't have appendices. Or pinkie toes.

Hence, the future. I have no idea what advancements lie ahead, but I have to think major surgeries, such as an invasive body surgery, will be instead minor procedures, possibly ones where you are home just hours later. But, yes, they have quite a ways to go before that is possible.

Dan just tweeted that the ER has wifi, so he might try to remote play Bloodborne on his Vita. The only thing I see being an issue is, unless his PS4 is already in rest mode, there's no way for him to do that, unless someone turns on his PS4 for him. Right?

Also: Greg Miller is A+.

RdrXKPB.png

Egg0

Banned
Funny thing about catching appendicitis early. Your surgical wounds are much more painful than the initial appendicitis.

KingKong

Hence, the future. I have no idea what advancements lie ahead, but I have to think major surgeries, such as an invasive body surgery, will be instead minor procedures, possibly ones where you are home just hours later. But, yes, they have quite a ways to go before that is possible.

My brother had his gallbladder removed and thats exactly what happens. It used to be an open long surgery but now they make a few tiny slits, insert a camera and take it out. Takes almost no time, go home the same day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom