• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this whole thing is pretty much Brad warning Jeff not to do things, which he then does and everything works out just fine.

game looks fun, looking forward to getting my copy.

Jeff serious eyes
AF2Jj3A.jpg

Yeah free aiming is essential at times like this.

It's a real shame stuff like the camera crapiness turns Jeff off so much, understandably. The animation priority doesn't seem to be irking him as much as it normally does.

That was a valiant effort!

- J - D -

Dan is probably up there too. He picked up on Gang Beasts incredibly quickly. Jason too I'm guessing, going by what Dan has said about him.

I have no doubt that Jason is really good at fighting or action games. Dan we already know is the best at Mario Party games, so of course that translates to being skilled at games of all genres.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
what is Dan talking about that he made progress just by making it to the boss? what happens to those souls he lost at the boss?

Each time you encounter a boss you gain insight. You need insight to level up the first time. Also, he could just get to the boss again, quit the game, and he'll be right outside the fog gate. Run to the lamp>level up.

Jeff played really well.

Liamc723

what is Dan talking about that he made progress just by making it to the boss? what happens to those souls he lost at the boss?

Once you make it to the boss, you're able to level up in the Hunter's Dream. The souls Jeff lost could be picked up if he was to go back to that area.

Those souls would be sitting inside the boss room on the ground. He also made progress by getting 1 insight point, and also just for making it to the boss/a little further into the game in general. Pretty much making it just a little further is some form of progress even if you do lose all your echoes

Myggen

Good UPF! Hope Dan brings the game he was gonna play this week to next week's UPF since people here seemed positive on it (never heard of it myself).

ArjanN

A comment Jeff made also made me realize why Jeff doesn't like these games, I think it's less the animation priority stuff and more that you constantly have to be on your toes.

Jeff seems to like stuff where you can just sort of relax and mindlessly grind. (Borderlands, Marvel Heroes. that wresting card game for phones etc)

Jeff would prob cruise through the Souls games if he played them.

Also I totally got used to the Souls camera bullshit because I didn't realize how bad the camera was in that fight until Jeff mentioned it.

I hate some of the NPC invaders/hunters/whatever in bloodborne that I've run into. Like, the quick/spammy attacks of dueling another player combined with boss levels of health gets really annoying and makes me want to just find the best way to cheese them to get it over with.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Ive played 3 souls games and id like to think im pretty decent, but Jeff did WAY better than i did through that area, even with the help he was getting.

The camera during the cleric demon is really really bad. There is one other boss i had camera issues with but other than that its been generally fine.

Noaloha

Jason's so cool. I'm glad he made sure to get that "Good Job" in there.

Shame that Jeff never unlocked his camera and suffered those frustrations. That shit can be a real mood-killer, from experience. And in terms of a boss fight arena, it helps to really focus on the long and narrowness that it being a bridge fight brings. It helps to straight up avoid being perpendicular to the boss as a rule; naturally it's cramped. Treat it like a 2D fighting stage, always lengthways, avoiding being cornered.

Jeff did great though, the whole way. He never struggled really with the evasion stuff. Would have liked the others to show him how you can combo the weapon transforms together; that shit just feels nice.

A comment Jeff made also made me realize why Jeff doesn't like these games, I think it's less the animation priority stuff and more that you constantly have to be on your toes.

Jeff seems to like stuff where you can just sort of relax and mindlessly grind. (Borderlands, Marvel Heroes. that wresting card game for phones etc)

I think at a certain point these games become more like that. They're brutal early on, but once the controls turn into muscle memory and you learn what to do in certain scenarios (when to fight and when to back off for example) you can pretty much cruise through stuff without thinking about it too much. At least that's what it's like for me. Having beaten this and every other Souls game, i'm pretty sure it took me a little longer to get to the first boss than it took Jeff, but later in the game i was going through entire areas pretty quickly without dying at all

ArjanN

Jeff would prob cruise through the Souls games if he played them.

Also I totally got used to the Souls camera bullshit because I didn't realize how bad the camera was in that fight until Jeff mentioned it.

Yeah, you learn there's ways to work around it by not backing yourself into corners or getting too close to very big enemies etc. It's basically the same for a lot of 3rd person action games like Souls, Revengeance and such.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff did good but he's not wrong that camera during the boss fight is garbage, what the fuck from. Too bad he didn't beat the boss because now i'm pretty damn sure he will never touch Bloodborne again, if only he would have been more careful...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The key to retaining your sanity in the souls games is realizing that you can run through the entire game.

ArjanN

I think at a certain point these games become more like that. They're brutal early on, but once the controls turn into muscle memory and you learn what to do in certain scenarios (when to fight and when to back off for example) you can pretty much cruise through stuff without thinking about it too much. At least that's what it's like for me. Having beaten this and every other Souls game, i'm pretty sure it took me a little longer to get to the first boss than it took Jeff, but later in the game i was going through entire areas pretty quickly without dying at all

Yeah, but that point is generally only about halfway in or so, and even then there's generally still traps and stuff that can kill you almost instantly.

It's never something like Borderlands where you can just only pay half attention and watch TV/listen to a podcast at the same time. Jeff also really likes to boost his survive-ability which lowers the stakes even further.

Jeff did good but he's not wrong that camera during the boss fight is garbage, what the fuck from. Too bad he didn't beat the boss because now i'm pretty damn sure he will never touch Bloodborne again, if only he would have been more careful...

The camera stuff is easy enough to work around, and it's pretty obvious there's no way Jeff was sticking with the game anyway.

damn such a shame Jeff got too anxious at the end and swung wildly when out of range, he nearly had it. He did a helluva lot better than I did in my first hour with BB. But yeah that fight's camera can be a pain because he's locking onto the CB's head. In that fight you can toggle between body and head. At close, locking to the body helps with the camera. He actually staggered it twice (2 pistol shots or melee hits to the head will stagger the boss) but I don't think he got around to trying the visceral attacks yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom