• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly! The list keeps growing. (Although, to be honest, fuck Brawl.)

brawl is the only smash game that I ever liked. I thought the quest mode or whatever that dumb thing was called was a blast and I ended up unlocking basically everything in the game

I think I played against other humans like twice

I'm with you, I (somewhat unsurprisingly probably) have a fondness for Suda51 games, but I dunno, past aesthetics, NMH never really stuck with me. I bought the ps3 version not long ago, hoping that playing it with normal people controls would make me like it more... but I've never even opened it for some reason. it was like $6

PS3 version sucks.

What would you pick?

brawl is the only smash game that I ever liked. I thought the quest mode or whatever that dumb thing was called was a blast and I ended up unlocking basically everything in the game

I think I played against other humans like twice

The Subspace Emissary is like a fucking bootleg Kirby game, which is tragic because Kirby already plays like shit. Even worse, Brawl's event mode is pathetic, so Melee and Wii U are much better single-player games despite lacking a dedicated story mode.

I didn't even know Brawl was considered a bad game until I actually cared to look on forums a few years ago.

I had just as much fun with it as I did Melee with friends.

justjim89

I was about to ask how in the hell people like Dan or Danielle could even run 10 miles at a time on a regular basis, then I figured out my typical walking route is about 2 miles, so I could see how people who don't have a sandbag-sized gut could run that kinda distance.

I was about to ask how in the hell people like Dan or Danielle could even run 10 miles at a time on a regular basis, then I figured out my typical walking route is about 2 miles, so I could see how people who don't have a sandbag-sized gut could run that kinda distance.

I used to run 5 miles a day a few years ago when I had more time for things. But man I got lazy and just make up for it by counting calories and drinking only water.

What would you pick?

Burnout Paradise, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3, Saints Row 2, Mirror's Edge, and Left 4 Dead are all better games than No More Heroes.

As for the generation as a whole, then you include series like Mario Galaxy, Portal, Skate, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Gears of War, Arkham Asylum/City, and the list goes on.

No More Heroes is cool and all, but I don't think it stands up to all of those games.

Are we still talking about the best games of the last generation?
1. Spec Ops: The Line
2. Fallout New Vegas
3. Gone Home
4. Bioshock Infinite

Brawl's not a bad game, but it's awfully drab looking nowadays. And it's soooo slooow and heavy. If it was the only Smash game, it'd probably be more appreciated, but it isn't. Melee and Smash 4 both blow it away, imo.

I like that it went for the full-on single-player campaign, but it fucked it up.

Burnout Paradise, Rock Band 2, Fallout 3, Saints Row 2, Mirror's Edge, and Left 4 Dead are all better games than No More Heroes.

As for the generation as a whole, then you include series like Mario Galaxy, Portal, Skate, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Gears of War, Arkham Asylum/City, and the list goes on.

No More Heroes is cool and all, but I don't think it stands up to all of those games.

Nah.

Jintor

weirdly that's one of their best songs in a while but, yeah they fell off HARD

you should probably track down Itsuka's solo stuff (Meliyas) if you like the rap side of it, at least that maintained some sense of grit.

AI AI syndrome remains legit. You can't take that away from me!

chrixter

How have not a single one of you listed Grand Theft Auto IV? Bunch of freaking hipsters.
Or Fallout 3, which was the media's consensus GOTY of 2008.

Personally, I'd add Braid, Ninja Gaiden II, and Tales of Vesperia.

2008's major releases disappointed in some ways but it was still a great year.

chogidogs

weirdly that's one of their best songs in a while but, yeah they fell off HARD

you should probably track down Itsuka's solo stuff (Meliyas) if you like the rap side of it, at least that maintained some sense of grit.

I was actually more of a fan of Gonchi's choice of samples and weird arrangements from the first album. She just sings more and everything is more straightforward and more EDM-e and boring now.

Jintor

I only really liked, like, two songs off their second album? Such a disappointment after loving the shit out of almost everything on their first.

I'll listen to this one after work

Still really glad Jeff discovered them for me though. Any other RECs if I really, really liked AI AI syndrome?

chrixter

Speaking of Red Dead Redemption, Brad mentioned a couple months ago during the hypothetical GOTG discussion that he was the only one arguing for Red Dead during 2010's GOTY deliberations. I've been meaning to re-listen to that 2010 podcast because I'm almost certain he in fact argued for StarCraft II and the rest of the guys genuinely considered his arguments because of how passionate he was. But maybe my memory is completely wrong.

1. Trauma Team
2. Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
3. Trauma Center: Second Opinion
4. Trauma Center: Under the Knife
5. Trauma Center: New Blood
6. Team Fortress 2

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm glad we upgraded the Game of the Year talk.
As a PC owner I don't even know when the last generation began. Half Life 2? Cause that would probably be the GotG for me.

I was actually more of a fan of Gonchi's choice of samples and weird arrangements from the first album. She just sings more and everything is more straightforward and more EDM-e and boring now.

fun fact: Gonchi seems to have next to nothing to do with writing or producing the songs; it's largely Itsuka and some of her friends from when she was with C.R.E.A.M SODAZ

at least, Gonchi doesn't get many writing credits in the liner notes.

After seeing those gifs on that DDO thread, I'm really tempted to get back to DD:DA. Though I have to start a new character after I found out I can make Guts.

It's the biggest reason I wish I still had a PS3. I want to replay it for a 3rd time.

I also miss Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. No shame.

Anjin M

2006 I guess

so Portal

Including PC games is a little weird in these discussions. Because you are right, the PC doesn't have the same discrete break points. If you include the PC in the generation before (Xbox/PS4/DC/GCN), then the winner become World Of Warcraft by default and shuts down all other discussion.

Well that's not entirely true. People will still argue, even if they are wrong.

Ah, no, I was wrong.

Minecraft.

And we're done here.

It's the biggest reason I wish I still had a PS3. I want to replay it for a 3rd time.

I also miss Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. No shame.

It was pretty awesome from what I've played. I remember being genuinely surprised at how good an action RPG could play, until I found out it was made by Itsuno and it all made sense.

I don't hate All-Stars either.

This isn't :D but it could be his stunt double. Also it's creepy enough I'm making it my avatar.

hDq2aaa.jpg

Not a lot of Elder Scrolls fans here apparently.

Stuff that springs to mind immediately for me is Burnout Paradise, Skyrim, Forza 3, Bad Company 2, Just Cause 2, The Last of Us, Fez, Portal, Call of Duty 4, and Minecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom