• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBalfredo

If you haven't picked it up yet, Cook Serve Delicious is part of the Humble Weekly Bundle for the next few days.

You probably remember it from this great Ryan / Jeff quick look.

And, this.

That's a classic quicklook. Especially when they get in about their scumbag day-drinking customers.

I once went out to specifically get myself a Ryan Davis. I then realized it's basically a Sourdough Jack on a regular bun. But the Sourdough Jack is a great burger so that works fine by me!

Anjin M

I want to make the next GB thread.
Committee Chairperson: The distinguished gentleman from California has the floor.

Congressman Anjin: Thank you Mr. Chairperson. Chaobreaker, I have just one question for you and I suggest that you answer carefully. Are you now or have you ever participated in a Super Best Friends thread?

Committee Chairperson: The distinguished gentleman from California has the floor.

Congressman Anjin: Thank you Mr. Chairperson. Chaobreaker, I have just one question for you and I suggest that you answer carefully. Are you now or have you ever participated in a Super Best Friends thread?

"I done see him there, posting with all those nerds. BAN HIM."

I have done nothing of the sort! You can't prove anything!

"I done see him there, posting with all those nerds. BAN HIM."

I'll take you down with me!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I don't understand ocelot's role in this video at all.

He seemed to be trying to undermine volgin but why is he trying to stop snake and eva as well?

Zebetite

Banned
Drew has infinite Rocket Launcher ammo.

"How about a grenade?"

Metal Gear Scanlon 3, roll credits. We're done here, it can't get any better.

Zebetite

Banned
So I don't understand ocelot's role in this video at all.

He seemed to be trying to undermine volgin but why is he trying to stop snake and eva as well?

Spoilers for endgame revelations.

Ocelot is torn between wanting/needing to help Snake-- since that's his mission-- and his rivalry with Snake. He genuinely believes he needs to get even with Snake from when he was made a fool of at the beginning of the game (hence why he carries around the bullet that jammed in their first encounter as a necklace), but can't go all the way and kill Snake because he needs to ensure he gets out of this alive. Adding to this, he also wants to keep his cover at all costs, so he needs to continue giving the impression that he's an idealistic GRU Major who's gotten fed up enough with Volgin's maniac tendencies that he's willing to lend Snake a hand against him, but not fed up enough that he's willing to totally side with Snake (even though, secretly, he already has).

Basically, he's just fronting, both because his weird crush on Big Boss and also because he's quadruple-crossing everybody as always and needs to maintain that cover.

Well what is he trying to do then? So confused.

I'll spare you the Kojima convoluted-ness, but in short: Ocelot is a double agent for the CIA & KGB who also has his own motivations (eg his obsessive rivalry with Snake).

Edit: Beaten to the punch with a way better post by Wewtness!

Phatmac

MAN that sequence is still so amazing. Even though we have so many cool moments like this in modern games it was super impressive to see it in mgs3. I need the next episode now!

I weirdly have no memory of that part of MGS3. I remembered a lot from the start, and almost all the bosses. I even remembered the upcoming final fight really well - and the fantastic visual with the
field of flowers
, but everything from today's episode was a blank.

I guess 10 years makes you forget some things - even though I fully remembered the older games in the series,

hamchan

Poor Drew listening to the codecs over and over again and not getting it. He has a low video game IQ.

Lol @ Dan's face everytime Drew just rolls and lies on the ground.

tumblr_m7jaqflXpy1qiqegzo1_500.gif

God that part is so fucking cool. I love how MGS3 bothers to show clothes moving in the wind, and alot of games last gen just neglected it.

It's why I've always held the belief that MGS2/MGS3 look better than most games did last gen.

That's not a belief, that's just a fact. MGS2 still looks better than most late gen PS2 games.

(I was talking about 360/PS3 games, I mean I look at MGS2 and I see something that hasn't been replicated graphically and gameplay wise. No other game has melting ice cubes!)

I still agree with that. 60 FPS goes a long way to making your game look good and very few games even last gen had as much attention to detail as MGS2/3 did.

God that part is so fucking cool. I love how MGS3 bothers to show clothes moving in the wind, and alot of games last gen just neglected it.

It's why I've always held the belief that MGS2/MGS3 look better than most games did last gen.

I want to say the method behind the blowing cloths effect is swapping two meshes quickly. Nothing fancy.

Anastasia

(I was talking about 360/PS3 games, I mean I look at MGS2 and I see something that hasn't been replicated graphically and gameplay wise. No other game has melting ice cubes!)

Aside from the technical stuff, in MGS2's case, I think the art style is a large part of why it still looks so good today; it has a minimalist look that has held up super well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom