• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

I want to say the method behind the blowing cloths effect is swapping two meshes quickly. Nothing fancy.

It always seemed obvious to me that the look wasn't that complicated to achieve but required a bunch of legwork, and it looks so damn good/totally worth it having just replayed MGS3 in the HD collection.

It always seemed obvious to me that the look wasn't that complicated to achieve but required a bunch of legwork, and it looks so damn good/totally worth it having just replayed MGS3 in the HD collection.

also Eva has TressFX going on in her hair

BEFORE PHYSX WAS A THING

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I should be expecting Drew to do the wrong thing at every single possible juncture at this point, but goddammit it still got me to see him ignoring the game completely and immediately going at Volgin with ALL OF THE WEAPONS despite the game clearly setting up a hand-to-hand encounter and Volgin even having dialogue that literally just says "put the gun away"

Joeku

Next one is probably the last one. Either that or there's one more after that and the two coming are both really short.

Wunder

I should be expecting Drew to do the wrong thing at every single possible juncture at this point, but goddammit it still got me to see him ignoring the game completely and immediately going at Volgin with ALL OF THE WEAPONS despite the game clearly setting up a hand-to-hand encounter and Volgin even having dialogue that literally just says "put the gun away"

How is that clear? Ocelot throws you ammo and Drew still got him with the weapons

strafer

Okay, that was a great episode. I really hope Drew finishes it in the next episode.

I wanna see him experience the ending which is highlight of the game.

Harry Gregson Williams also shows us who's boss.

And then hopefully onwards to MGS4. :D

I would love to post thrthe thread but I am usually asleep when the bombcast goes up

One of you Americans should step up to the plate and help ren!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Okay the rest of the episode totally redeemed the first few minutes of the Volgin fight. Although I did catch myself repeating "shoot the treads" beginning the Shagohod fight.

Mechazawa

Except for:
1. Everyone telling you to shoot him in the back/his blind spot.
2. All his invulnerability periods where weapons do damage just fine.
3. The fact that, as Drew has shown, he gets stunlocked really easily with weapons.
4. Even Volgin doesn't play by those rules given that he's constantly shooting you with ranged attacks, half of which involve bullets.
5. Like someone mentioned, Ocelot literally drops you ammo.

The vast majority of people probably never did any CQC on Volgin because why the hell would you.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The vast majority of people probably never did any CQC on Volgin because why the hell would you.

I guess I'm the exception then because that's what I always did. Snake puts his guns away at the start, it seems to encourage you to fight in CQC, much like the Ninja fight in MGS1. It's just always seemed like the way to go, and it makes for a better fight imo.

that epic as fuck bike sequence still gets me hyped a decade later. Goddamn, if that's not proof that MGS3 is the legit king of MGS games then i don't know what is.

tchocky

I guess Kojima had been watching some Harrison Ford movies in the lead up to making Snake Eater, scenes with similarities to The Fugitive, Return of The Jedi and The Last Crusade maybe more I have missed.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

With the game flat-out lying about the Fury fight and the fact that guns apparently work fine on Volgin, why would you ever bother with punching him?

Rizzi

With the game flat-out lying about the Fury fight and the fact that guns apparently work fine on Volgin, why would you ever bother with punching him?

coldwar.jpg

It's too loooooooong!

I know, i agree with you. Kojima should've made MGS3 a 2 disc game, one for the campaign pre-bike chase and one that includes an extended bike chase sequence and then whatever comes after.

are we going to continue spamming this thread with us agreeing with one another LMAO

Drew needs to stop firing wildly in random directions.

Also CQCing Volgin makes the fight much easier. You knock him down and just unload into his body.

Nearly finished Breaking Brad Demons Souls and I really think I should finally run through that game after I finish Bloodborne.

Loving the quirky soundtack that game has that kind got drop for more generic orchestrated stuff in the later games.

Nearly finished Breaking Brad Demons Souls and I really think I should finally run through that game after I finish Bloodborne.

Loving the quirky soundtack that game has that kind got drop for more generic orchestrated stuff in the later games.

The tough thing with Demon's Souls is the you-gotta-beat-this-in-one-run gameplay. It sure as hell hardened me for Dark Souls, though. Every game after Demon's seemed so easy thanks to bonfires and replenishing health items.

The bike sequence is like the first time in the whole game that Big Boss is a legit badass and looks to not be a fumbling idiot who is just scraping by. It's also a great moment of release for the player as you get to wreck all of those asshole guards that had you hiding in the grass way too long and chasing you around all game.

maybe one experiences it differently when you're actually playing the game as opposed to watching it but whenever i get to that segment of MGS3 I just enjoy fucking things up and watching the awesome cutscenes interspersed with Snake screaming while unloading round after round into those fucking jerks.

hamchan

Don't know how much Drew enjoyed the bike sequence since he kept noting how long it is. When you enjoy something you don't normally think it's too long.

The Volgin and Shagohod boss fights suck so much. And the bike scene is pretty boring but Dan and Drew seem to really like it so at least it made for a good episode.

This Metal Gear Scanlon got me to try something I never had before, a no-kill Euro Extreme run in MGS3.

It was quite an experience, and wholly recommended if you want to play it in a different way, but I think I enjoy having the flexibility to just have fun in normal mode more.

demidar

This Metal Gear Scanlon got me to try something I never had before, a no-kill Euro Extreme run in MGS3.

It was quite an experience, and wholly recommended if you want to play it in a different way, but I think I enjoy having the flexibility to just have fun in normal mode more.

In AGDQ 2013 there was I think a European Extreme run, possibly no-kill too.

Here's the video.

I tried a Big Boss run in MGS4 and I just couldn't do it. :S

I did a European Extreme no alerts run on my Vita in Xmas 2013, but I didn't have the patience to use tranqs on the bosses.

Back in the PS2 days I did do it though, collected all the suits, frogs and animals, but that was on the easy difficulties lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom