• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about you guys, but I'm super excited over Nintendo's and Bethesda's showing this E3.

Nintendo has to show their A-game without Zelda so it could be a show full of surprises.

All Bethesda has to show is Fallout 4 with a hopefully new non-janky engine and I'm set.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Those two are just the easiest to beat up on really. It's more than those 2 really. I'm not even sure about witcher 3 anymore, though my attitude will probably change into a more positive one when it gets closer to release.

It's more like the overwhelming impression I got from rewatching the microsoft E3 2014 conference is "Man, we really to kill people huh."

I'm listening to the GOTY 2008 Podcast, and I have a few thoughts.

- It's crazy and really interesting to hear how much they all, and especially Jeff, go to bat for GTA IV, considering I think he specifically has referred to that game as a disappointment (I can't remember a specific time, I just have a feeling it's not looked back on fondly)

- It's also interesting in hindsight to NOT hear Jeff go up to bat at all for Burnout Paradise as GOTY (it does make the top ten)

- Man, they sure did love Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts

- It's really nice, and kind of sad in a way, to hear them all so legitimately enthusiastic about the discussion. Sure the argument can be made that 2008 was a better year for games than say, last year, but Jeff and Brad specifically are both operating on a whole other plane of enthusiasm than you hear how.

- People probably won't agree with me here, but I wouldn't mind if they went back to this model of just one long podcast, with the top ten already picked, and just hash out the order. I get the feeling that one of the main reasons they all sound so spritely here is because they aren't on the tail end of ten hours of recording. Plus, the format is just really good. List out the nominees one by one, with about ten minutes of discussion for each, and then begin debating the order. The way it is now, the last day's podcast is pretty redundant (when it should be the most important one), as they don't really have anything new to say about these games they've just spent ten hours talking about.

Anywho, those are just some of my thoughts. It was a great year for games, and a super interesting podcast to listen to.

Just wanted to quote this so I could add a question; it seems that Giant Bomb (or the podcast at least) started slightly after Burnout Paradise was released, does anyone know of any podcasts where Jeff talks about it at length? It seems to be in that nebulous period between gigs, and I'd love to hear his extended thoughts on a game he loves so much.

Anjin M

It's really hard to get excited about the inevitable sequels. But that's never what I look forward to at E3. There is always one or two new games announced that capture the imagination. So, it's the element of surprise that I look forward to. Hold out hope in that.

edit://
Dan Rychert via Twitter said:
PAX Wrestling fan @TheGannondork made a WWE-style intro for the promotion https://t.co/eX5nCPtrTP
This is quite something.

Just wanted to quote this so I could add a question; it seems that Giant Bomb (or the podcast at least) started slightly after Burnout Paradise was released, does anyone know of any podcasts where Jeff talks about it at length? It seems to be in that nebulous period between gigs, and I'd love to hear his extended thoughts on a game he loves so much.

IIRC Jeff spoke about it on the Bombcast at one point, and posited that part of the reason it's so wonderful to him is all the time he could spend on it while between jobs & dreaming up Giant Bomb. I can't remember which one it is, though, so maybe I'm misremembering.

I just finished MGScanlon 3.... Man that was such a better game than 1 and 2. I already miss this series. I hope they got some fun stuff in mind to keep us occupied until they do 4.

Myggen

IIRC Jeff spoke about it on the Bombcast at one point, and posited that part of the reason it's so wonderful to him is all the time he could spend on it while between jobs & dreaming up Giant Bomb. I can't remember which one it is, though, so maybe I'm misremembering.

Yup, he's said that several times. It's why he was able to do literally everything in the game.

I played Burnout Paradise once.

I though the crashing shit was cool but it got old real quick.

Driving around across the huge but lifeless map to do trails got boring.

I've come to hate Guns 'n Roses because of the game as well.

Lingitiz

I just finished MGScanlon 3.... Man that was such a better game than 1 and 2. I already miss this series. I hope they got some fun stuff in mind to keep us occupied until they do 4.

Well they have that secret theatre thing still right? Hopefully they'll take a look at some Twin Snakes or something before heading to 4.

Just finished watching second episode of The Old Game Show and I have to say I didn't really enjoy it. I think for me the fun of watching someone play retro games is seeing them overcome bullshits in the game that require certain skills or patient to pull it off. That why watching a legit retro show like Game Center CX is so entertaining. Seeing Jeff cheating his way through a Shmup to the ending credits in less than 30 mins gives me nothing. There was no fun, satisfaction, excitement, nothing. It's just boring.

Just finished watching second episode of The Old Game Show and I have to say I didn't really enjoy it. I think for me the fun of watching someone play retro games is seeing them overcome bullshits in the game that require certain skills or patient to pull it off. That why watching a legit retro show like Game Center CX is so entertaining. Seeing Jeff cheating his way through a Shmup to the ending credits in less than 30 mins gives me nothing. There was no fun, satisfaction, excitement, nothing. It's just boring.

That three man crew just doesn't make for a very interesting show.

I think they spend too much time on each game in the show. If you have a dud of a game (like Wizards and Warriors), I don't think you should commit a full 20/30 minutes to it.

Still, I'm pretty glad they're putting more focus on older games and getting over the "this is legally questionable" hurdle that most people really don't give a shit about. They used to be kind of coy about whether or not they were emulating stuff, but now they're pretty open about it.

I don't know what you expected, but it looked like the series was just a way for Jeff to showcase a bunch of retro games since he's into that kind of stuff. I find his commentary on those games fascinating tbh.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think they spend too much time on each game in the show. If you have a dud of a game (like Wizards and Warriors), I don't think you should commit a full 20/30 minutes to it.

Yeah this. However I'd rather watch Wizards and Warriors than another Shmup. Shmups are pretty boring to watch and there is not a lot to talk about.

Ketch

Yea. the best part about that show is when they have interesting stuff to say about the game. I really like when they show a balls hard game that would be like literally impossible to play and try to imagine someone beating it back in the day.

Like there was this isometric ninja game jeff played from home a while back... I think it was commadore 64.. that just looked fucking impossible and it was really interesting.

like that Dio game last week. shit was hard with invincibility on, I can't imagine someone beating it on normal mode.

Myggen

Yea. the best part about that show is when they have interesting stuff to say about the game. I really like when they show a balls hard game that would be like literally impossible to play and try to imagine someone beating it back in the day.

Like there was this isometric ninja game jeff played from home a while back... I think it was commadore 64.. that just looked fucking impossible and it was really interesting.

like that Dio game last week. shit was hard with invincibility on, I can't imagine someone beating it on normal mode.

Yeah, agree with you there.

Ketch

I would like to message Jeff to suggest some old games for the next show, but I'm not sure how to do that. rudds pls

I'd like to see him play through impossible mission because I played that game a bunch when I was a kid without having any idea of what I was supposed to actually do in it.

and wrath of the black manta just because the music is amazing.

and i'll post a link too just because it's 12:40 in the am and lets stay up for another hour or two and listen to old NES soundtracks ok?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ibHrWwB5g&list=PL561DB1181CEB9750

I don't know what you expected, but it looked like the series was just a way for Jeff to showcase a bunch of retro games since he's into that kind of stuff. I find his commentary on those games fascinating tbh.

I think I stated pretty clearly what I expect from a retro show. Basically I expect nostalgic struggling and frustration, which is very typical for a retro game. I don't see how cheating the way through a game make it a better showcase than playing fair and square to show the game in its original design.

Well, that's not the case at all. TOGS is probably the only Giantbomb content I don't enjoy.

Myggen

I would like to message Jeff to suggest some old games for the next show, but I'm not sure how to do that. rudds pls

I'd like to see him play through impossible mission because I played that game a bunch when I was a kid without having any idea of what I was supposed to actually do in it.

and i'll post a link too just because it's 12:40 in the am and lets stay up for another hour or two and listen to old NES soundtracks ok?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ibHrWwB5g&list=PL561DB1181CEB9750

Best way to message Jeff is probably his Tumblr.

tchocky

Jeff said in the stream to post them here

GB Forum: The Old Games Show Suggestions Thread

I'm currently watching Metal Gear Scanlon but I find it incredibly cringe-y to watch. This is making me see Drew in a whole new way. He is incredibly bad at Metal Gear Solid and seems utterly incapable to learn even simple controls and concepts of the game.

danm999

I'm currently watching Metal Gear Scanlon but I find it incredibly cringe-y to watch. This is making me see Drew in a whole new way. He is incredibly bad at Metal Gear Solid and seems utterly incapable to learn even simple controls and concepts of the game.

Drew is an enigma.

Metal Gear Scanlon 2 and 3 spoilers.

He vacillates between getting lost in Strut F for an entire episode and beating the End in an almost flawless takedown in about 10 minutes.

Metal Gear Solid controls are everything but simple. It's a clusterfuck of buttons combinations that changes / evolves from games to games, and are only used in MGS series.
Even the first person aiming is clunky as fuck, as soon as you're using anything but the tranquilizer gun.

I totally get why he had trouble with controls.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Metal Gear Solid controls are everything but simple. It's a clusterfuck of buttons combinations that change / evolve from games to games, and are only used in MGS series.
Even the first person aiming is clunky as fuck, as soon as you're using anything but the tranquilizer gun.

I totally get why he had trouble with controls.

Push the H button, BUT NOT TOO HARD seems pretty awful to me.

Jintor

MGS controls are nonsense and dumb

what they allow you to do is dumb but noone should ever pretend they are halfway intuitive for a beginner or for someone who is learning on-stream to pick up and just go

LiK

I thought it was entertaining. There weren't any real breaks into silence and they had some good anecdotes. Better than the recent UPFs where it seems they've been forcing themselves to find a game to showcase.

Renpatsu

Went on a bit of a Metal Gear binge today, caught up on the Portable Ops and Peace Walker stories and just finished playing the original MSX Metal Gear.
3CO9qDR.jpg

MGS controls aren't the best, but I'll take them over Ground Zeroes any day.

I have no idea how making it play exactly like everything else ever is seen as an improvement.

I played the first MGS for the first time a couple of years ago on a PSP Go.

How about that shit?

Ask me how I, a person who is not that invested in MGS, felt about that game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I played the first MGS for the first time a couple of years ago on a PSP Go.

How about that shit?

Ask me how I, a person who is not that invested in MGS, felt about that game.

How do you, as a persona who is not that invested in MGS, feel about that game?

Lijik

i feel like theres a second game on steam that has the exact same premise of "You are the pong ball, now go through different eras of gaming" that A Pixel Story has but i cant remember the name of it

edit- found it BiT Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom