• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'Boy isn't this funny that the guy hates playing this game' becomes less funny by the 3rd time.

It's not even like Fortune Street where they kind of come around on it. Fuck Mario Party Party.

LiK

'Boy isn't this funny that the guy hates playing this game' becomes less funny by the 3rd time.

It's not even like Fortune Street where they kind of come around on it. Fuck Mario Party Party.

you never know, maybe this time Dan will convince them it's good.

Myggen

Quick Look LIVE: Mortal Kombat X/GTA V PC in 1 hour 30 minutes.

MPP2 is my all time favourite GB content, so I still hold out hope for 4.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They need to have some kind of stakes. Like if Brad loses, he has to delete his Dota account or if Dan loses, he has to smash his MGS merchandise. That would make it exciting to watch anyway, because otherwise, we already know Dan will win since everyone will give up after 30 minutes.

Don't like Mario Party Party? Don't watch it. I solved the problem guys.

I like Mario Party Party, but it's an argument about opportunity costs. What else could they produce using the 3+ hours they spend on Mario Party Party? Could we get another Demo Derby? Probably not a GBeast Playdate, given the time zone difference. Could we have gotten a Breaking Brad instead?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I like Mario Party Party, but it's an argument about opportunity costs. What else could they produce using the 3+ hours they spend on Mario Party Party? Could we get another Demo Derby? Probably not a GBeast Playdate, given the time zone difference. Could we have gotten a Breaking Brad instead?

Well, I like MPP so I don't care. :p

Myggen

I generally don't buy that line of argument, regardless of your enjoyment of MPP. They'll find the time to record Breaking Brad or Demo Derby if they want to, it's not like it's a sure thing that they would've used these three hours to record something else if they weren't recording MPP3.

The lack of Breaking Brad comes down to Brad not having a game he thinks fits that feature, at least I'm sure he said something like that in a previous thread. Maybe they could do a demo derby instead of a mario party but at the end of the day it comes down to their preference for what they would like to do.

tchocky

A new Breaking Brad has nothing to do with finding time and everything to do with Brad to stop overthinking it and just pick a game to play. Demo Derby is usually recorded on a Friday to go up on Saturday so Mario Party wouldn't affect a new episode being recorded for this weekend GBeast playdate is unrelated since that only needs Vinny and Alex in a studio together and has nothing to do with GBWest since they could do it any other day.

KingKong

you guys are crazy, Mario Party Party is amazing specifically because of the idea that they must finish a full game and the entire series, it would be a waste to stop now

Anjin M

The problem with Mario Party Party 3 is that is was four hours long. They were shambling husks by the end. The prior two videos were three hours which was long enough to break them without breaking the audience too.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The problem with Mario Party Party 3 is that is was four hours long. They were shambling husks by the end. The prior two videos were three hours which was long enough to break them without breaking the audience too.

50 rounds is too much. There is too much repetition in the game. And it's the last 5 rounds that matter anyway.

I'm worried about the future of of Mario Party party. Surely big bad Nintendo will come along and nix the entire enterprise?

I doubt they can do much if it's hosted on CBS resources. if Nintendo claims copyright, GB can send a counternotice saying that they think it's within their rights, and from there Nintendo would have to actually take them to court

obviously this isn't going to happen

Lelcar

The problem with this is that everybody likes different things and you could make this argument for any piece of content that they do. MPP has lots of fans, so it's worth it.

This is a good example from the previous thread of how varied Giant Bomb fans are. Not everybody wants MPP to to be theoretically replaced with other content, including me personally, I'm a huge fan of MPP. Unplugged even has a fanbase.

I doubt they can do much if it's hosted on CBS resources. if Nintendo claims copyright, GB can send a counternotice saying that they think it's within their rights, and from there Nintendo would have to actually take them to court

Yeah, nothings going to happen. Youtube is shitty because they have an automated system and they have to bend over for corporations. Granted this gives the perception that streaming game content is illegal when it isnt, and if Nintendo took them to court they would lose songlehandedly.

Patryn

So I read Dan's recent tweet about Daredevil, and it got me thinking. He mentions "red spandex", but when was the last live-action hero that actually worse spandex?

Nowadays it's all about leather.

Although, at least for most of the season, Daredevil's running around in a black shirt, black pants, black gloves and a mask.

I kind of like the rate at which they've been producting Demo Derby's. I think I would burn out on the feature if they did it too regularly. Mario Party Party is the same way for me.

Myggen

Yeah, nothings going to happen. Youtube is shitty because they have an automated system and they have to bend over for corporations. Granted this gives the perception that streaming game content is illegal when it isnt, and if Nintendo took them to court they would lose songlehandedly.

I'm not so sure about that last point. I'm not very familiar with the US law on this, but from what I've read there seems to be different opinions on whether Let's Plays are strictly legal ("fair use"). Quick Look style content will probably be okay either way. Aside from Nintendo, most big devs and publishers are becoming more and more accepting of even Let's Plays, with Ubisoft and EA sponsoring some big Youtubers etc. Indies are of course already there.

But your point about it being much safer for the content creator to not rely on Youtube is obviously correct here.

Patryn

I'm not so sure about that last point. I'm not very familiar with the US law on this, but from what I've read there seems to be different opinions on whether Let's Plays are strictly legal ("fair use"). Quick Look style content will probably be okay either way.

But your point about it being much safer for the content creator to not rely on Youtube is obviously correct here.

Mario Party Party also differs from normal Let's Plays in that there is camera on the guys themselves, and much of the content is based on their IRL interaction.

I think honestly neither side really wants one of these cases to go to court, because a ruling one way or the other will just topple the whole house of cards. Either the LPers will win, at which point the floodgates open and the revenue sharing stuff goes out the window, or the company wins and suddenly we see a lot less LPs.

Myggen

Mario Party Party also differs from normal Let's Plays in that there is camera on the guys themselves, and much of the content is based on their IRL interaction.

Yeah, that would be another variable. It also seems kinda obvious to not treat a Let's Play of a multiplayer game like Mario Party the same way you treat a Let's Play of a linear single player game (The Last of Us). What you do as a player in The Order doesn't matter as much as what you do as a player in Dota 2, to give two of the most extreme opposites.

edit: Also yeah, I doubt this is going to court anytime soon.

I'm not so sure about that last point. I'm not very familiar with the US law on this, but from what I've read there seems to be different opinions on whether Let's Plays are strictly legal ("fair use"). Quick Look style content will probably be okay either way.

If let plays are illegal, so are quick looks. A lets play doesnt have to cover all of the video game. And whether or not a playthrough of a game, whether partial or full is covered under fair use, it can be argued that they are transformative works which would offer it protection against legal lashback.

I mean, companies wouldve already sued lets players or streamers if they had a legal leg to stand on. Instead they go to the company facilitating the content(youtube or twitch ex.) and tell them to restrict footage of the game, either through content ID or having an embargo with Twitch.

I generally don't buy that line of argument, regardless of your enjoyment of MPP. They'll find the time to record Breaking Brad or Demo Derby if they want to, it's not like it's a sure thing that they would've used these three hours to record something else if they weren't recording MPP3.

A new Breaking Brad has nothing to do with finding time and everything to do with Brad to stop overthinking it and just pick a game to play. Demo Derby is usually recorded on a Friday to go up on Saturday so Mario Party wouldn't affect a new episode being recorded for this weekend GBeast playdate is unrelated since that only needs Vinny and Alex in a studio together and has nothing to do with GBWest since they could do it any other day.

When you're looking at how an organization uses its resources, it's a measurement of opportunity cost. Again, not a big deal to me since I've liked Mario Party Party, but that's a question, next to questions about results, when analyzing whether an activity or product is worthwhile.

Even if they aren't recording a Breaking Brad, a Jason-led MonHun video, a Jason-led Dark Souls 2 video, an Encyclopedia Bombastica, another Quick Look, a GBeast Playdate, or a Demo Derby instead of a Mario Party Party, it's up to them to decide whether there's a different way they could use that time and energy. Again, I'm not telling them how to do their jobs. They've been at this long enough to know how to measure whether spending 3+ hours on Mario Party Party is worth it based whatever series of metrics they're using, from number of viewers logged in during the live feed, the total number of views over time, to the subscriber feedback on what they thought of MPP. From an outside perspective, I would think of it as a question of what is this activity preventing you from doing.

I like Mario Party Party. For some reason, Brad was rubbing me the wrong way on 3 (he's usually great), might have just been an off day. I think stakes are a decent way to get people invested. Last one could've been much cooler if they put their lordships on the line.

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious. But does seem somewhat unfair, a full playthrough of Mario Party by GB is safe, when others are not.

Myggen

When you're looking at how an organization uses its resources, it's a measurement of opportunity cost. Again, not a big deal to me since I've liked Mario Party Party, but that's a question, next to questions about results, when analyzing whether an activity or product is worthwhile.

Even if they aren't recording a Breaking Brad, a Jason-led MonHun video, a Jason-led Dark Souls 2 video, an Encyclopedia Bombastica, another Quick Look, a GBeast Playdate, or a Demo Derby instead of a Mario Party Party, it's up to them to decide whether there's a different way they could use that time and energy. Again, I'm not telling them how to do their jobs. They've been at this long enough to know how to measure whether spending 3+ hours on Mario Party Party is worth it based whatever series of metrics they're using, from number of viewers logged in during the live feed, the total number of views over time, to the subscriber feedback on what they thought of MPP. From an outside perspective, I would think of it as a question of what is this activity preventing you from doing.

If we're talking popularity, I can't remember a single piece of premium content having more people "chatting" (which I'm still not sure if is just the same as amount of viewers, if for example they count me when I'm watching it from the front page) than MPP3. IIRC it had about 5000. This one might get fewer, but from a pure numbers standpoint I'm sure it's still probably the most popular premium feature they do.

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious. But does seem somewhat unfair, a full playthrough of Mario Party by GB is safe, when others are not.

Yeah, that's what you get by relying on Youtube. It's a fantastic way to get more eyes on your content, but you're still relying on Google and they're gonna throw you under the bus 10 times out of 10 if it means protecting themselves against possible lawsuits.

Scizzy

Why do I oppose Mario Party Party 4? Because, sooner or later, the anger from this series will lead to undying enmity between the duders and destroy the site. So let me flip this around and ask a two-part question around to the supporters:

(1) Why do you support Mario Party Party 4 and (2) why do you want to destroy Giant Bomb?

Ian Kelly ‏@LtSquigs 26m26 minutes ago
@danryckert That might have just been the movie. DD is one of the characters that has like one or two good runs but is otherwise meh.

Everyone point and laugh at Ian.

Why do I oppose Mario Party Party 4? Because, sooner or later, the anger from this series will lead to undying enmity between the duders and destroy the site. So let me flip this around and ask a two-part question around to the supporters:

(1) Why do you support Mario Party Party 4 and (2) why do you want to destroy Giant Bomb?

It's all gonna end in murder anyway. Might as well have fun watching it all go to shit.

If we're talking popularity, I can't remember a single piece of premium content having more people "chatting" (which I'm still not sure if is just the same as amount of viewers, if for example they count me when I'm watching it from the front page) than MPP3. IIRC it had about 5000. This one might get fewer, but from a pure numbers standpoint I'm sure it's still probably the most popular premium feature they do.

MPP got me to go premium in the first place and I got on the GB hype train around when 3 came out.

Myggen

jesus you guys get so serious over what content gb chooses or doesn't choose to air

We're a serious bunch.

"Hey kids. Wanna play with my Skylanders"

p6SWL.png

lol

For a few weeks I've been hearing Jeff say "COMAS PEOPLES!" in my head and couldn't remember what video that came from.

Fortunately, Youtube autoplay just keeps going and eventually you're watching the Dream Gear video.

I actually sometimes go "dude, mad Christmas"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom