• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
brad plz play league/smite/dawngate rip/hon/adventure time:battle party/infinite crisis/hots/strife/arena of fate/sins of a dark age for a fun weekly moba feature

I honestly miss Daily Dota.

I'm sure it's infuriating to watch for those who are really into the Dota scene, but I always found it enjoyable to watch.

a new patch is coming soon tm (somewhere between next week and 3 or 4 weeks from now) so i wouldnt be surprised if there was one for that

Worst Sonic game came out on the 360

look at the Xbox now. MS is literally giving windows 10 away. Halo 3 is free to play.

i rest my case. you want exclusive mainline sonic games? go ahead, but you'll end up wishing you hadn't

jaina

I don't know if you guys talked about it yet but I was wondering if what Bread said on the Bombcast was true? He was mentioning how Microsoft was trying to lower the power consumption of the Xbox One and how the PS4 is already ahead of the curve in that department. Then he went on the say something along the lines of the Wii U being the worse offender in that department. I could have sworn I've seen a graph around here showing the Wii U's power consumption while on standby to be miniscule compared to the other systems. So what I'm wondering is if he meant that it was behind the pack in terms of features (users can select) to make the system lower powered as opposed to be as lower power as it can be?

I got confused too at first, but I think he meant that Wii U can't fully disable standby so the minimum of XBO (completely powered off) is now lower than Wii U.

This blog post by the environmental group which publicly demanded an improvement from Microsoft is written after the recent new power setting (<1 watt rest mode) was announced. And it still mentions Wii U as exemplary power consumption and rest mode (< 1 watt). According to the article XBO may now achieve similar rest mode consumption but without automatic update downloads, so many users won't use it. They also say PS4 uses <3 watt in sleep mode.

Jams775

I got confused too at first, but I think he meant that Wii U can't fully disable standby so the minimum of XBO (completely powered off) is now lower than Wii U.

This blog post by the environmental group which publicly demanded an improvement from Microsoft is written after the recent new power setting (<1 watt rest mode) was announced. And it still mentions Wii U as exemplary power consumption and rest mode (< 1 watt). According to the article XBO may now achieve similar rest mode consumption but without automatic update downloads, so many users won't use it. They also say PS4 uses <3 watt in sleep mode.

Okay cool. Thanks. That's what I thought.

the internet is amazing you can find anything

61kzUmU.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I had to watch the Estranged video to remind myself of which one it is. When Dan says "best music video ever," he's saying it in over the top Jeff airquotes voice "best" right?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just went to watch it, saw it was almost 10 minutes long. Said fuck that

Stick with it. The song the aural embodiment of self indulgence, but the video just ups the ante on everything. Ends with Axl Rose swimming with actual dolphins for no reason.

Mario Party 10? Treasure Tracker? Those "kill"?

MK8? I mean it's just Mario Kart ass Mario Kart, to use a Giant Bomb-ism.

Nintendo's surrounded by nostalgia and rabid fans.

Mario Party 10 was one of the best selling games in its release (haven't played but that should say something), and what's wrong with more Mario Kart? Game is beautiful and plays sharp. Haven't played treasure tracker but the main complaint seemed to be about the price, not the gameplay.

They kill more often, more frequently than other companies tend to, how about that?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Great that we can now all agree how terrible GNR is. I guess I was a little early with my rant a week or so ago.

tchocky

Mario Party 10? Treasure Tracker? Those "kill"?

MK8? I mean it's just Mario Kart ass Mario Kart, to use a Giant Bomb-ism.

Nintendo's surrounded by nostalgia and rabid fans.

Treasure Tracker was fantastic as was Mario Kart 8 and I have no nostalgia for Nintendo since I grew up with a Megadrive and never played a Nintendo game till the Wii.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I think the only Nintendo franchise I care about anymore is Metroid, and well, they don't give a shit about it.

I think the only Nintendo franchise I care about anymore is Metroid, and well, they don't give a shit about it.

That's ok, there has been an explosion of Metroidvania games in the last few years that more than makes up for both nintendo and konami no longer working within the very genre they helped to make relevant.

Shit, we got a batman metroidvania, I played a mexican wrestler metroidvania recently, a metroidvania where you play as a spacecraft, etc. hell, even capcom got into it with their
Strider reboot/reimagining last year. There's never been a better time to be a metroidvania fan.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
3d Marios(not World) and Monolith Soft are the only Nintendo things I really care about.

Hopefully Dragon Quest Musou means it'll be Sony's turn with the Dragon Quest series in a proper release, but I don't know what Nintendo's future console plans look like since it seems they got some stuff going.

tchocky

100% serious. If you're a Nintendo fan there's a handful of games you'll enjoy. If not then there's a lot of mediocrity and re-hashes along with a spat of simply bad games.

Well yeah if you are not a Nintendo fan then you will not like Nintendo games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm kind of amazed the MOBA craze is still going. I don't mean the ones where people play them, but all the people making MOBAs.

Like, who out there is seriously going to compete with Riot, Valve, or Blizzard? Nobody. At least Marvel did the smart thing and made a Diablo clone. Who the fuck wants to play a DC MOBA? Zero people. Exactly zero people. It's like developers learned nothing from the MMO bubble popping.

That's ok, there has been an explosion of Metroidvania games in the last few years that more than makes up for both nintendo and konami no longer working within the very genre they helped to make relevant.

Shit, we got a batman metroidvania, I played a mexican wrestler metroidvania recently, a metroidvania where you play as a spacecraft, etc. hell, even capcom got into it with their
Strider reboot/reimagining last year. There's never been a better time to be a metroidvania fan.

What game is this?

at least you stand to lose WAY less from a failed MOBA than a failed MMO

but yeah, failing to understand the logistics of entering a market that is already reached more or less peak user saturation should be a lesson that doesn't need to be learned twice

I'm kind of amazed the MOBA craze is still going. I don't mean the ones where people play them, but all the people making MOBAs.

Like, who out there is seriously going to compete with Riot, Valve, or Blizzard? Nobody. At least Marvel did the smart thing and made a Diablo clone. Who the fuck wants to play a DC MOBA? Zero people. Exactly zero people. It's like developers learned nothing from the MMO bubble popping.

MOBAs by their very nature are much MUCH cheaper to produce and maintain than a MMO. It's no surprise that a lot of folks are throwing their hat into the ring. Hell, Warner Brothers has at least two MOBAs with the DC one and the LOTR one. Dead Island still has one, too.

The only ones that interest me are the hybrid MOBA games like BattleBorderlands, Overwatch, and Battlecry (the one with the designer from HL2/Dishonored).

What game is this?

insanely twisted shadow planet

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's too bad Uber COMPLETELY fucked Monday Night Combat. It honestly had the most potential of any of the MOBA-likes out there.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I've seen multiple people in the Marvel 2015 thread who have said they wished there was a moba mode in the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've seen multiple people in the Marvel 2015 thread who have said they wished there was a moba mode in the game.

That's mostly because the Marvel Heroes PVP content is pretty lacking. I don't think there's anyone who wouldn't play Marvel Heroes now but would start if they had a MOBA mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom