• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
PoE is straight up Baldur's Gate 2 with different ruleset, isn't it? Holy crap did they just make one of those games (and that's awesome).

I prefer Dr. Octagon, but Black Elvis is probably his second best album, yeah.

I really couldn't get into Baldur's Gate. I bought it thinking it would be like Diablo and just kept dying over and over again. I even used cheats and still got destroyed.

Myggen

I really couldn't get into Baldur's Gate. I bought it thinking it would be like Diablo and just kept dying over and over again. I even used cheats and still got destroyed.

Well, that's your problem right there! It's almost like buying Arma thinking it's like COD. BG2 is probably my all time favourite game, so I really like the look of PoE!

Anjin M

Yes @ some Kool Keith stuff being crappy but the stuff that's good is legit GOAT material.

Also gonna throw Deltron 3030 out there as a solid hip hop/rap album that's raw as hell. And that last CunninLynguists album is strong as hell, too.

Well, that's your problem right there! It's almost like buying Arma thinking it's like COD. BG2 is probably my all time favourite game, so I really like the look of PoE!

Yup, PoE looks really good. Already got it preloaded, i'm making a cipher. Cipher seems cool.

daydream

Banned
That's something he cares enough about to mention it on mixlr. And he has been asking for amiga 2600 recommendations. Good detective work! (if you're correct)

Thanks, Amiga 2600 is my favourite bootleg PC.

There's Amiga 500/600/1000/1200/4000/CD32 but 2600 was Atari~

Yeah they're not even remotely the same kind of game, but its easy to make that mistake since they share similar tones and artstyle.

because kb&m controls dont work well with my PC being hooked up to my TV, I've actually been waiting for the BG games to get cheap on the ipad so i can play them there.

I know, this makes me some sort of devil kisser or something but i just know what i like.

Patryn

PoE is straight up Baldur's Gate 2 with different ruleset, isn't it? Holy crap did they just make one of those games (and that's awesome).

Depending on how broadly you define ruleset, yeah. There's other things different, such as how combat no longer grants XP.

I'm surprised you didn't already know that. It was like the main selling point of the Kickstarter.

because kb&m controls dont work well with my PC being hooked up to my TV, I've actually been waiting for the BG games to get cheap on the ipad so i can play them there.

I know, this makes me some sort of devil kisser or something but i just know what i like.

No, but the controls are not terrific on iOS. They're serviceable, but it's clear that the game was designed for a mouse and keyboard.

Honestly, I was surprised to find that the KOTOR controls on the iPad felt better.

Myggen

As long as they've made some smart changes to the interface, I think the BG series will play well on a touch screen. Since it's made to be paused at any time you don't really need any kind of precision.

Depending on how broadly you define ruleset, yeah. There's other things different, such as how combat no longer grants XP.

I'm surprised you didn't already know that. It was like the main selling point of the Kickstarter.

Oh don't get me wrong, I knew they were making an Infinity Engine style game. But I rarely follow preview material for games I want to play so I didn't realise just how far they went in that direction. Watching the QL it's insane how many details are similar just by how it looks. Not complaining of course.

jason-bourne-matt-damon-1280jpg-882bbc_1280w.jpg

There needs to be a way to differentiate Pillars of Eternity from Path of Exile. Path of Exile is all I ever think of when I see PoE and it takes me a minute to realize that game hasn't had a sudden resurgence.

Bacon

There needs to be a way to differentiate Pillars of Eternity from Path of Exile. Path of Exile is all I ever think of when I see PoE and it takes me a minute to realize that game hasn't had a sudden resurgence.

We'll call Pillars of Eternity E Pills

"you getting down with E pills tonight bro?"

"hell yea bro"

Yeah they're not even remotely the same kind of game, but its easy to make that mistake since they share similar tones and artstyle.

Yeah I know that was my mistake, but I think that kind of game just isn't for me. Everybody dies way too easily and I had no idea how to get started. Dark Alliance was pretty great, though.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Jeff is gonna feel left out of the Bloodborne conversation since everyone is playing that right now, i just don't see him liking Bloodborne which is a fucking shame because i bet his stories would be amazing.

I wonder if Jeff is gonna feel left out of the Bloodborne conversation since everyone is playing that right now, i just don't see him liking Bloodborne which is a fucking shame because i bet his stories would be amazing.

Jeff hates a lot of games a lot of people like. I assume he is just use to it at this point.

Oh man PoE looks pretty good. Was never interested in those other D&D type games and learning those, but this looks more like a typical RPG battle system which I could get way into.

work bought us lunch today! so really I'm having a good day all around.

So jealous.

Then again I work in a Middle Eastern resturaunt so I really shouldn't be complaining.

justjim89

Pillars of Eternity definitely looks a little more accessible and modernized than Baldur's Gate II. I try every few months to get into it and between the graphics and the interface I just can't wrap my head around it. I might bite the bullet on PoE, though.

Anjin M

Jeff hates a lot of games a lot of people like. I assume he is just use to it at this point.

I think he mentioned borrowing a copy when one of the others was done, so he's not in a hurry. Might be funny if it finally hooks him. But it's more likely to reaffirm his taste in the series.

Pillars of Eternity definitely looks a little more accessible and modernized than Baldur's Gate II. I try every few months to get into it and between the graphics and the interface I just can't wrap my head around it. I might bite the bullet on PoE, though.

PoE looks so much like a Baldur's Gate III, right down to the cursor. So weird! Lucky for me, I have far too many games in the backlog to worry about buying Pillars.

Brashnir

Play the Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance games sometime. They are like Diablo. ;)

Edit - Nevermind, looks like you already did. Play Champions of Norrath too. It's even better.

Anjin M

I really like the one-screen inventory for PoE. Nice idea!

Play the Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance games sometime. They are like Diablo. ;)

Edit - Nevermind, looks like you already did. Play Champions of Norrath too. It's even better.

Torchlight turned into a pretty good Dark Alliance-style game on consoles. I played through the whole thing again on 360.

Rorie's doing a great job on this QL. Showing off areas, mechanics, and comparing them to other games of its type like BG, while still keeping the video entertaining.

If it wasn't for Pillars of Eternity, I would have caved on buying a PS4 and Bloodborne when it launched but since I had PoE to look forward to, I was able to resist.

Rorie's doing a great job on this QL. Showing off areas, mechanics, and comparing them to other games of its type like BG, while still keeping the video entertaining.

Rorie always does a good job. He just has one problem habit, he starts explaining a thought and interrupts himself and never goes back to it.

If it wasn't for Pillars of Eternity, I would have caved on buying a PS4 and Bloodborne when it launched but since I had PoE to look forward to, I was able to resist.

I'm the opposite. I backed Eternity, have two copies but I can wait on it. I'm a little peeved at the last-minute shipping changes Obsidian made which could mean I get taxed twice on the physical stuff. So I sold my main key to a gaffer and I'll wait for my disc.

Bloodborne takes precedence and that game is more about the 'Zeitgeist' in my view.

Time to fire 'er up!

Rorie always does a good job. He just has one problem habit, he starts explaining a thought and interrupts himself and never goes back to it.

He really gets absorbed into the action of the game so I'm not surprised. Probably super hard to talk and play a game like this especially.

that's because Rorie is awesome and anybody that thinks otherwise probably kicks puppies

Rorie is awesome.

I've almost kicked a puppy before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom