• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

j0kgCi1.jpg

Anjin M

Hmm. We are about 50 pages out (100ppp represent!). Time to start thinking about the next OT.

I seem to remember chaobreaker throwing a hat in the ring. Maybe?

Myggen

Not sure what's been going up the website when viewing on an iPad, but you can't rewind, fast forward, or see a timestamp on videos unless you download them. Super frustrating.

hmm, you can do all of that at a browswer, Matbe create a bug report on the GB forum?

maybe if you view it from the perspective of someone who never comes out of their nintendo hole it works out, but even then it'd basically be an admission that nintendo had only done bad DLC up to this point (which might be arguable, I don't know)

No_Style

I just watched Spring Breakers after being on my list of movies to watch since GB mentioned it.

It was something. I don't know if it's terrible or amazing or both? But I think I liked it. James Franco was amazing.

daydream

Banned
maybe if you view it from the perspective of someone who never comes out of their nintendo hole it works out, but even then it'd basically be an admission that nintendo had only done bad DLC up to this point (which might be arguable, I don't know)

well, tbf most dlc is handled poorly while nintendo has handled pretty much all of their dlc (hyrule warriors, golf, pikmin, mk) perfectly so their track record is fantastic.

smash is whatever, i guess. still pretty good in the context of fighting game dlc, actually.

Anjin M

I just watched Spring Breakers after being on my list of movies to watch since GB mentioned it.

It was something. I don't know if it's terrible or amazing or both? But I think I liked it. James Franco was amazing.
Jeff convinced me to watch it too. I think I like it maybe? It is something else, I have to give it credit for that.

edit://
the OT for those tracks being called "DLC done right" irks me

it's not like people haven't done DLC right before
Considering that the other DLC in the news right now is Destiny: House of Wolves, it let whoever wants to take shots at the concept do so.

danm999

So they talked a bit about how this paid mod thing was weird on UPF, but I don't understand how it's going to be much more than a headache for Valve/Bethesda.

If they're taking a cut of it, isn't that going to lead to weird situations where they're partially liable for say, a mod which infringes on someone else's copyright?

Never doubt Myggen's endless supply of Drew reaction GIFs.

So they talked a bit about how this paid mod thing was weird on UPF, but I don't understand how it's going to be much more than a headache for Valve/Bethesda.

If they're taking a cut of it, isn't that going to lead to weird situations where they're partially liable for say, a mod which infringes on someone else's copyright?

i don't know about the latter part because i'm sure they probably have language in the TOS that removes them from liability but that pretty much encapsulates what's weird about paying for mods

it's not that people are paying for the product, it's that you've created an ecosystem where you're legitimizing weird addons that could (and probably do) violate either copyright law or the EULA of one of the multiple pieces of software that you're using. plus the inability to account for intellectual property (we're already seeing people swiping other people's mods and trying to sell them)

it's like, i'll pay for good mods, who cares. it's the fucked up shit surrounding "legitimizing" them that somehow does the complete opposite of that.

but this isn't the thread for it really

e: it's gonna be real fucking funny when someone gets VAC banned for using a paid mod

Oh so I've been meaning to ask, but after Drew mentioned this on the MGScanlon Bonus episode, anyone have a sound bite of 'Time Paradox!' to use as a ringtone?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think putting stuff in your TOS actually abdicates you from all responsibility.

Why do you think YouTube has been cracking down hard on copyrighted content?

tchocky

This paid mod controversy seems like greenlight to be a situation where Valve have not fully thought through their idea and decide to let the community sort it out and it's a disaster again.

I don't think putting stuff in your TOS actually abdicates you from all responsibility.

because

-it's impractical for a platform of their size to even bother trying to manually moderate content they host

-they don't give a fuck about 99.999% of the users on their platform (and i wouldn't either in their position)

-it's easier and smarter to just take the side of the people with money since they're the ones paying you anyway

it's not like the law isn't theoretically on their side in terms of copyright, but they stand to gain nothing from trying to defend it. they don't care how many people follow someone like Angry Joe, he's still statistically insignificant w/r/t their big picture

really all any of this boils down to is that corporations are never your friends and you really can't ever expect them to be on your side. if something goes screwy with this mod market, Valve aren't going to be the ones taking the hit, because they've undoubtedly got an escape button built into it. it's amazing what you can get away with when you're the middleman on a software platform. the laws make sure of it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
because

-it's impractical for a platform of their size to even bother trying to manually moderate content they host

-they don't give a fuck about 99.999% of the users on their platform (and i wouldn't either in their position)

-it's easier and smarter to just take the side of the people with money since they're the ones paying you anyway

it's not like the law isn't theoretically on their side in terms of copyright, but they stand to gain nothing from trying to defend it. they don't care how many people follow someone like Angry Joe, he's still statistically insignificant w/r/t their big picture

really all any of this boils down to is that corporations are never your friends and you really can't ever expect them to be on your side. if something goes screwy with this mod market, Valve aren't going to be the ones taking the hit, because they've undoubtedly got an escape button built into it. it's amazing what you can get away with when you're the middleman on a software platform. the laws make sure of it.

That's what I'm saying though, they're not going to say "we put it in our TOS, so if people steal copyrighted content we don't care." Now that they're going to earn revenue from it like how YouTube is doing with their ads, I'm going to bet that there is some form of moderation even if it's automated or with a flag system.

the kind of stuff that's built into TOS' though is language that usually says stuff like

- you can upload your files but we can take them down for any reason and you have no recourse

and

- you can download these files but it's not our fault if you fuck up your shit with them

so like youtube, they can then just pull the plug on anything at any time and be completely in the clear.

none of that sounds particularly bad until money is changing hands, which is when most rational people are like "i'm not sure this seems kosher."

"i paid $5 for this spiderman mod and you pulled it so now i can't download it." "too bad"

etc

i think we're saying the same things basically but let's say that i'm a little impaired right now so

anyway, yeah. it's not the paying for mods that's the issue. it's literally everything else surrounding it.

danm999

i don't know about the latter part because i'm sure they probably have language in the TOS that removes them from liability but that pretty much encapsulates what's weird about paying for mods

I don't think even then that will extricate them from a legal problem if they're making money from a mod that has, say, Game of Thrones or LOTR assets. They'll either need to block that stuff from ever going up, or have a system in place to pull it down ASAP similar to YouTube content ID system. But this is Valve and I don't know if they've got that all figured out.

They'll have to vet the content somehow or leave themselves pretty open to shit, and at that point it means they might have to move to a catered system where only a fixed amount of paid mods can't be released or something.

I'll say this at least; it's going to be interesting.

This paid mod controversy seems like greenlight to be a situation where Valve have not fully thought through their idea and decide to let the community sort it out and it's a disaster again.

That or it's Zenimax who is going to take all the weight in curating the stuff and Valve is just along for the ride.

basically everything save for the hundreds of "M1NECRAFT BY DYLAN" or MS Paint games made by russian 12 year olds that are laughed at until they leave

greenlight is fucking magical

YouTube's handling of copyrighted content has nothing to do with its TOS or its legal obligations and everything to do with Viacom.

As for Zenimax/Valve's liability for a copyrighted mod, it depends entirely on how the system works. If they're taking a percentage cut directly from every sale, then they could run into some trouble, ie secondary liability for copyright infringement. The DMCA safe harbors that protect sites like YouTube won't protect Zenimax/Valve if they reap a direct financial benefit from hosting these mods, which they do. They better vet these if they don't want to be sued.

YouTube's handling of copyrighted content has nothing to do with its TOS or its legal obligations and everything to do with Viacom.

As for Zenimax/Valve's liability for a copyrighted mod, it depends entirely on how the system works. If they're taking a percentage cut directly from every sale, then they could run into some trouble, ie secondary liability for copyright infringement. The DMCA safe harbors that protect sites like YouTube won't protect Zenimax/Valve if they reap a direct financial benefit from hosting these mods, which they do. They better vet these if they don't want to be sued.

I kinda wanna see a modder put in like, a hidden Apple product or a hidden ferrari in one of their mods that isn't easily findable by just looking through the code.

That'd be hilarious.

neshcom

Banned
I'm a new prem-ie and have been tackling Metal Gear Scanlon. Metal Gear isn't a new series for me, but reliving the steep slope into a massive, global sci-fi conspiracy is enthralling. Too many hours of re-reading the MG series story have been wasted, but for good purpose.At some point, it becomes equal to reading sci-fi literature proper, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom