• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its kinda odd how much I don't miss him from the site.

I mean he would bring attention to some indie games but now they are coming out on PC and he really didn't pay attention to the scene on the site until a fan sent him a pc.

I liked Scoops and the Wolf but that was about it. He does have his moments on the couch in classic UPF but as someone who came on the site just shortly before he left, I can't say I miss him all that much.

Myggen

I agree with Alex, I really like the idea of games like 12 Minutes and Uncanny Valley that takes place in a pretty small area (12 Minutes is obviously much smaller than something like Uncanny Valley), but with a lot of stuff to do and a lot of choices. Uncanny Valley looks really interesting.

Haha, yeah, basically.

Also, speaking of weird japanese games that aren't fun to play, playing through killer is dead right now and while the combat is just ok to mediocre, I'd say that the styyyyyyyyyyle and nonsensical story is pretty entertaining.

it is. the combat gets slightly better when you buy more moves, and even though the countering system seems to be largely luck-based, it feels pretty good when you pull it off. it's a decent game.

minor complaint though, the lip-syncing is done to the english dub but the jp acting is... more appropriate? certainly more over-the-top, which is kind of what you want from a game like that.

Have they said anything lately about the GBeast hire? Or is that a Post-E3 thing like Dan and Jason last year?

we're hoping that something will get mentioned on the BLLSL and, given that they're usually really good at getting ahead of these things and shutting them down before people get their expectations out of whack, their silence regarding this seems to suggest that we will indeed hear about the new hire during the BLLSL.

Fox318

I liked Scoops and the Wolf but that was about it. He does have his moments on the couch in classic UPF but as someone who came on the site just shortly before he left, I can't say I miss him all that much.
When he moved things really changed.

Plus after the hiring controversy, gamergate saga, and the Max Tempkin story it always felt like controversy was following him.

Myggen

we're hoping that something will get mentioned on the BLLSL and, given that they're usually really good at getting ahead of these things and shutting them down before people get their expectations out of whack, their silence regarding this seems to suggest that we will indeed hear about the new hire during the BLLSL.

Or the silence could mean that they'll not say anything until they announce it. I'm leaning towards that. I haven't really seen much speculation coming into BLLSL outside of this thread that would need to be shut down.

I doubt they'll say much about it this BLLSL. I expect more of a low key announcement.

I just hope its somebody who can work on site with them.

Gonna be in the New York office, so not an editor at large or anything like that.

demidar

I agree with Alex, I really like the idea of games like 12 Minutes and Uncanny Valley that takes place in a pretty small area (12 Minutes is obviously much smaller than something like Uncanny Valley), but with a lot of stuff to do and a lot of choices. Uncanny Valley looks really interesting.

I'm all for smaller but more dense worlds. It's sort of gotten to the point where large landmasses makes my eyes glaze over since it would be largely filled with a bunch of nothing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
it is. the combat gets slightly better when you buy more moves, and even though the countering system seems to be largely luck-based, it feels pretty good when you pull it off. it's a decent game.

minor complaint though, the lip-syncing is done to the english dub but the jp acting is... more appropriate? certainly more over-the-top, which is kind of what you want from a game like that.

It's just all style and no substance so far really, but there is so much styyyyyyyyyyyyle it becomes substance at some point.

Or the silence could mean that they'll not say anything until they announce it. I'm leaning towards that. I haven't really seen much speculation coming into BLLSL outside of this thread that would need to be shut down.

well, they announced well before e3 that the new hires would not be part of the team until after e3 so there is a precedent where they tend to temper expectations before they get out of hand.

so they havent done that.

and what's the purpose of the BLLSL live? to convince folks to sign up for premium accounts by telling you about new features they have in the works.

and where's there a lack of premium features? NY.

and why would they wait to announce the NY hire for the BLLSL? Because now that they have the new hire, they can push the fact that your membership will support premium features coming out of NY.

So BLLSL is about getting more premium members, NY hire is going to allow GBEast to do premium features, you announce your NY hire on the BLLSL as part of your attempt to push more memberships now that GBEast can produce premium features.

your honor, i rest my case.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Tested segments on the old Happy Hour shows were always so weird.

I mean, Jeff was in the other room playing games where you shoot anime underwear.

But the Tested segments were just so weird.

Or they could bring their electric unicycle along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO2ppYsaZd0

Will has continued his ascent (descent?) to become the most San Francisco dad in the world!

I mean, Jeff was in the other room playing games where you shoot anime underwear.

Weird in a good way, though! They never had a handle on their segments, and Ryan just prodded Will ceaselessly. I miss those days.

Antiwhippy

They were the only entertaining ones at some point.

Still waiting for Warren Spector to deliver on One City Block.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I think given the context that "thanks Obama" already had before Swery, it could already be pretty funny.

057.gif

I also hope this thing kills on PC, because all that talk last year from Swery made it seem it didn't do super great on Xbox One.
Those were dark times.

ND0qETV.png

PHKquFj.png

Antiwhippy

I like to think that swery is the opposite of a weaboo. A japanese man obsessed with western culture as opposed to a western man obsessed with japanese culture.

Fox318

I'm all for smaller but more dense worlds. It's sort of gotten to the point where large landmasses makes my eyes glaze over since it would be largely filled with a bunch of nothing.

You need nothing in order for places to seem real.

Otherwise its packed like an amusement park.

demidar

You need nothing in order for places to seem real.

Otherwise its packed like an amusement park.

It's possible that it can be done. I loved New Vegas and its wasteland, which was ironically lively for a wasteland.

Plus I'm not looking for real, I'm looking for interesting.

huh, apparently Access Games has full ownership of D4 IP. I thought MS had some stake in it. I guess that means that there's a good chance it'll be on multiple marketplaces on pc, if not just Steam.

I really hope it sells well.

Brutal Doom v. 20. Scoops Kleptok has taken a look at this, but I need to see Dan, Jeff, Brad, and/or Vinny play this.

I hope Jeff plays Brutal Doom and has an emperor's new clothes rant where he points out that it's a glorified joke mod that totally doesn't understand why Doom 1 and 2 had such good combat and that would be okay if people didn't act like it was this genuinely amazing game that replaces the original

also the guy who made it is a huge scumbag who loves racist jokes, harassing people online, and gets banned from doom forums for screaming YOU'RE JEALOUS OF MY SUCCESS whenever anyone critiques brutal doom

I hope Jeff plays Brutal Doom and has an emperor's new clothes rant where he points out that it's a glorified joke mod that totally doesn't understand why Doom 1 and 2 had such good combat and that would be okay if people didn't act like it was this genuinely amazing game that replaces the original

also the guy who made it is a huge scumbag who loves racist jokes, harassing people online, and gets banned from doom forums for screaming YOU'RE JEALOUS OF MY SUCCESS whenever anyone critiques brutal doom

I dunno, I had a feeling that Jeff kind of appreciates the long history of silly-ass Doom mods/TCs/map packs and all that. He seemed to enjoy the general clusterfuck of messing around on Zandronum.

shame about the BD guy, I think it's a fun mod.

Mully

Thinking aloud here but Dan and Jeff should go on Comedy Bang Bang as guests. Dan plays the aloof straight man. Jeff plays the Rap Man.

Bacon

Thinking aloud here but Dan and Jeff should go on Comedy Bang Bang as guests. Dan plays the aloof straight man. Jeff plays the Rap Man.

Jeff would probably hold his own better on CBB but Dan is more likely to somehow make it onto the podcast randomly.

Zaph

I like to think that swery is the opposite of a weaboo. A japanese man obsessed with western culture as opposed to a western man obsessed with japanese culture.
Absolutely. I love it when non-Americans do Americana in general, especially the Scandinavians. It can end up absurd, a good satire or just plain cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom